Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Make me feel better after sleeping through these two auctions.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
You didn't miss a thing. They aren't older, better felt, they're stingy in the frumpy way, the one with the darker lining looks to have sweat problems. Honestly, they went for PLENTY.

Yeah, no great shakes there. The second one isn't so bad, which is to say it isn't so good, either. And the first one sucks.
There are many, many better hats to be had for less dough than those two sold for. It's gotta be a drag for you large-headed guys to see hats that might actually fit get away. But I have to believe that a skillful hatter could take vintage hats in more commonly available sizes and stretch 'em enough to fit you. (A proper job of it, you know, not a quick-and-dirty Hat Jack job, which is usually good enough to bump a hat up a size or so, but not as much as you'd need.)

MattJH

One Too Many
tonyb said:
It's gotta be a drag for you large-headed guys to see hats that might actually fit get away.

Heh. That's exactly it. Whenever I see a hat that would actually fit me, I feel like I have to get it because they're so few and far between.

tonyb said:
But I have to believe that a skillful hatter could take vintage hats in more commonly available sizes and stretch 'em enough to fit you. (A proper job of it, you know, not a quick-and-dirty Hat Jack job, which is usually good enough to bump a hat up a size or so, but not as much as you'd need.)

What I've found is that I'm 7 5/8-7 3/4 in new hats, but with vintage hats that have shrunk a bit, I'm much closer to a 7 3/4-7 7/8. With this in mind, there's the cost of purchasing the hat at a premium cost due to the rarity of the size, and then the additional cost of having a hatter adjust it to actually fit my head.

Having a large head is expensive! :)

MattJH

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Dark brown stingys make a big head look like a block of baking chocolate anyway. I know - I take a 7 5/8 and I've tried a few.

What have you found works best for you?

Wesne

One of the Regulars
I know how you feel Dumbjaw, as I wear a 7 5/8 as well. I think I'm actually more like a 7 9/16 and have been tempted at times to bid on a hat in 7 1/2 (and they don't show up very often either) but if it has shrunk at all (which, as you mentioned, is likely with an old hat) it's probably going to be too tight for me. When one does show up at auction that looks like it might fit us big-headed guys, we're often forced with a choice between paying a hefty premium on a nice hat because of supply and demand or bidding on a hat that may not be our ideal, but at least it might fit.

If it makes you feel any better, I saw those auctions too and decided not to bid. As others have said, those hats have a 60s look to them and aren't really anything to get excited about. The prices they sold for were probably OK, but nothing to kick yourself over for passing on them.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Apologies if a Lounger did buy those hats, but
you missed nothing, Dumbjaw. Save that money
to buy something nice. Note, BTW, that you should
not write off the model name "Stetsonian"- they were
great hats through the 1940s.

BTW, why do you send your hats out for stretching?
Get a real hat stretcher and do it yourself. There's
plenty of information about it on this site.

MattJH

One Too Many
feltfan said:
BTW, why do you send your hats out for stretching? Get a real hat stretcher and do it yourself. There's plenty of information about it on this site.

Oh, I don't send them out for stretching -- just following up on tonyb's comment. I did take the Stetson Charger that Mr. Maltby sent me to Oscar's at South Street Hats in Philadelphia for a bit of a stretch, but that was free.

There are limits -- even with a "real" hat stretcher -- to how much a hat can be safely stretched without taking it apart. You know, removing the sweatband and the ribbon and reblocking the body to the larger size and putting it all back together again, with replacement leather and grosgrain, should that prove necessary.
Such a procedure wouldn't be beyond the capabilities of the average collector, but he would have to acquire the equipment and learn a few skills.
Sure, those "real" stretchers are a darned sight better than those of the Hat Jack variety. You're less likely to end up with a tapered crown by using one of those fancy ones, for instance (although it still might happen). But you might get a wavy brim, and leather and ribbon and even felt will stretch only so much.

big kahuna

Familiar Face
To quote Rodney Dangerfield (in regards to Ted Knight's hat)

"Did you get a free bowl of soup with that hat?"

hat.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I won that- sorry for outbidding you, but a friend of my dad's (this guy doesn't doesn't know anything about vintage hats, other than he wants one to replace a worn out newer stetson) who is a 7-3/4 told me to get a hat for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe