Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lower Cost Shoes

Fifty150

Call Me a Cab
Buy quality and resole when the time comes.

the resoling selling point is becoming a BS selling point

That all depends. Every situation is different. It depends on the shoe, the cost, and the person. I just bought a pair of Allen Edmonds from Shoe Bank for about $50. I will be thinking long and hard about resoling those. Especially if I can replace them with new shoes for less than the cost of the resole. On cheap $50 Stacy Adams, I really have to wonder if it's worth $150 to resole them.

I get it. We all have different opinions. And there are certain advantages to resoling. Sometimes it's a shoe that they don't make anymore, and you're really attached to the style. The uppers are broken in to your foot, and bend and flex exactly to your steps. The insole is broken in with the impression of your foot, and the shoe cradles your foot perfectly.

If I have shoes that cost over $200, a $200 resole would be a consideration.

On $600 Aldens, a $200 recraft would be better than buying another pair.

1723959870186.png

Totally worth $150 to repair $350 Iron Rangers.

1723960036772.png

If I didn't have the kind of money to buy expensive shoes, then I would rather buy what I can afford. Very difficult for me to want $70 used shoes, then spend double that amount to resole them.

I'm not buying Thursday, either. A lot of reports about poor quality, construction, and quality control issues. The biggest selling point to Thursday is that they have a Goodyear welt. To me, and it's just my opinion, that maybe those Thursday Boots are not really worth $200, or the $150 price tag of a resole. The lower priced shoes in my closet also have Goodyear welts, and can be resoled. Just my own opinion, that my Florsheim Imperials and Foundry boots are a better value at less than $100.

It may come as a surprise to some people, that other people do not have $500 for shoes. Some people have $50. That's where some of us are at in life. We don't have as much money. At the same time, we don't want to waste what little money that we do have. Some people really do buy shoes at Wal*Mart. That's why Wal*Mart sells shoes.

Mens Dress Shoes in Mens Dress Shoes(10)​

George Men's Branford Casual Dress Oxfords
Best seller

Black
Brown
$2898
current price $28.98
George
5764.5 out of 5 Stars. 576 reviews

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I've followed directions to a T on the respective containers. Various types of solvents to clean u surfaces. Fine sandpaper to rough up contact areas. I've tried it all.

How are you doing that? Are you just adding glue between the shoe and the sole? Or are you taking the entire sole off, prepping the surfaces, then reattaching? I see those videos where they have a pneumatic press, and I'm sure that really helps bond the surfaces as the contact cement cures.
tried acetone, paint thinner, 91% rubbing alcohol. tried sandpaper, metal files. also have tried a couple different vices that max out at 400LBs of pressure. I don't think it's the tools or my process. I think it is the contact cements I've tried. that's why I was curious if you had a favorite.

大馬伕

New in Town
It seems like when you spend less, the expectations are less. The bar is lowered. You get a lesser grade of product, but that's okay. When you buy Wal-Mart shoes, you don't expect Horween leather.

You expect more with increased pricing. What happens when you spend more, and still get less? When shoes price over $300, $500, or even $1,000? In what world are $2,000 worth it?

We all have our own ideas. I have a hard time with buying a luxury car. But I don't drive a Kia either.

What shoe is "worth it"? You actually get your money's worth?

Fifty150

Call Me a Cab
I got these for $25.

Screenshot 2024-08-21 21.03.20.png
1724300253707.png

For some of us, when we are wearing suits, we could still get into a little action.

1724300772825.png
1724300401337.png

And while it's nice to own better quality, and to be able to walk around in expensive shoes......... I need shoes that I can run, climb a ladder, climb a fence, and fight in. The first consideration is comfort. My feet cannot hurt on long shifts. The second consideration is traction. I cannot slip and slide on leather soles when my life depends on it. Then I think about cost. How much should I spend on shoes that will get ripped, torn, cut up, etc.? Not to mention chewing gum, spilled drinks, broken glass, urine, blood, and other bodily fluids.

IMG_20240821_205651872~2.jpg
IMG_20240821_205437431~2.jpg

Fifty150

Call Me a Cab
Right or wrong? The price was right. About $41. I glued on a rubber sole protector. It's ready, in case a political dignitary orders Panda Express, and the dishwasher, me, has to make the delivery.

IMG_20240822_113228892~3.jpg
IMG_20240822_112818288~2.jpg
IMG_20240822_112610487~3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petitmalpa