Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lovely color photos of Dublin in 1961

Mr. 'H' said:
Go for it! :eusa_clap I used to cycle to and from college (Trinity - you can see the entrance of Trinity in the last 2 pictures). It hasn't changed at all. It is great when you can cycle for a purpose, to get to a destination, rather than just for exercise.

Thanks for the inspiration, Mr. H!! I dusted of my wheels today and took a little spin...

100_1794.jpg

Yes, there is an actual paved road nearby....:)

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
Great pic Hamilton Honey!

Heres a few more pics of Dublin, not 60's but worth sharing nonetheless!

3658182369_21c567c9e6.jpg

Dublin Airport 1956

4368723767_454b5b1530.jpg

no date on this one^

3410344972_7e29b02aab.jpg

the beach down the road from me, around the 60s, check out the Micheal Scott Art deco house in the background.

3672998048_b4d9c1b0c4.jpg

JFK visiting Dublin in 63

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
bettydarling said:
Heres a few more pics of Dublin, not 60's but worth sharing nonetheless!

3410344972_7e29b02aab.jpg

the beach down the road from me, around the 60s, check out the Micheal Scott Art deco house in the background.

Dear BD, That's Joyce's/Gogarty's Martello tower in the background, yes? Nice neighborhood! Do you ever walk into eternity along Sandymount strand? :>)

"Skeet"

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
It certainly is, gosh there I am talking about the art deco building when one of the most historic buildings is in the pic! dear oh dear. Its a lovely area, I love being near the sea. The sandymount walk is gorgeous, I dont walk it often but get a good glimpse of the vista while on the DART (train) in and out town, has to be one of the nicest views from a train - eat your heart out Orient Express! lol

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
They're both historic; no need to choose! Speaking of vistas....is the trip down the Military Road still as spectacular as it was.....oh, about 25 years ago! At that time, at least, most of it was still quite rural...a beautiful journey.

"Skeet"

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
Sure is, nice and snowy at the moment too. Its a little bit crowded around there in the summer with tours etc, but if its not treacherous weather the winter can be a lovely time for a drive around those parts.

D-503

Familiar Face
I just realized that you can see the old Nelson's Pillar at the top of O'Connell in those photos.

Setting aside politics, can anyone dispute that a classical pillar (regardless of who is at the top) fits in with the architecture of old Dublin better than the sculpture that is typically referred to by scatological rhymes?

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
If you're referring to the Anna Livia monument AKA "Floozie in the Jacuzzi" it was taken away and put in storage years ago. There is a large "pin" in its place called the Spire:

250px-Anna_Livia_Plurabelle.jpg

A013.jpg

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Mr. 'H' said:
If you're referring to the Anna Livia monument AKA "Floozie in the Jacuzzi" it was taken away and put in storage years ago. There is a large "pin" in its place called the Spire:

250px-Anna_Livia_Plurabelle.jpg

A013.jpg

Well, I'm no fan of most modern art...but I must say: I hope ALP comes out of storage one of these days; not bad, and frankly a more approachable work than that it commemorates! The "pin": exactly. It must be the one that Mary lost.....

IMHO, they should have taken the one-handled adulterer off the top of the pillar and put O'Connell in his place. But that's an option long-gone, thanks to a bunch of excitable lads with too much time (and dynamite) on their hands.

"Skeet"

D-503

Familiar Face
Mr. 'H' said:
If you're referring to the Anna Livia monument AKA "Floozie in the Jacuzzi" it was taken away and put in storage years ago. There is a large "pin" in its place called the Spire"

I was referring to the pin. One of the lovely things about Dublin is that so many local landmarks have rhyming schemes - Molly Malone is "the tart with the cart," the old monument was "floozie in the Jacuzzi," and the Spire...

Well, let's just say it rhymes with "Liffey."

Anyway, not a fan of the Spire myself!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe