Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lovely color photos of Dublin in 1961

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Some interesting cars.... lots have changed, lots of stuff is still the exact same.

4256611746_39faf5ccfb_o.jpg

4256610358_a10a7fe5b4_o.jpg

4255837711_d4a7d7d0ac_o.jpg

4255836237_d13de291e1_o.jpg

4255835233_66212c828f_o.jpg

4256596170_4125564bf3_o.jpg

4255831729_cae92c2d12_o.jpg

4256591774_88c4f9f7b7_o.jpg

4256590248_31c6f59c5e_o.jpg

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
"In the Heart of the Hibernian Metropolis"

...so quoth James Joyce. Thanks for the lovely pictures, Mr. H.! If you want to see a moving, albeit black and white, version of the city 3 years later—get a copy of Joseph Strick's film of ULYSSES, shot on location and showing many of the same locations.

"Skeet"

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Fantastic photos Mr. H! Dublin looks so beautiful there. Reminds me of those great photos of my parents taken on O'Connell St in the 50's (when photographers would take your photo and send it onto you) - everyone just looked so dapper and put together.

Maguire

Practically Family
Warbaby said:
Looks like a '55 Chevy to me. Wonder what it's doing in Dublin?
Alot of americans in ireland or any irish coming back from America would bring back their cars with them, despite the inconvenience of changing everything from right to left etc. My father tells me about a few of his friends who did this, only to have the cars not last too long on the awful country roads (which even now aren't that great, let along in the 50s and 60s).

Great photos, i must show them to my father, he would remember this era quite well. albeit from a very rural point of view.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Miss Golightly said:
Fantastic photos Mr. H! Dublin looks so beautiful there. Reminds me of those great photos of my parents taken on O'Connell St in the 50's (when photographers would take your photo and send it onto you) - everyone just looked so dapper and put together.

That sounds great. Yes, I remember hearing they used to do that: take your picture on O'Connell Street, at dance halls etc.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Hamilton_Honey said:
How lovely! Thanks for sharing these - I shall have to put them in my scrapbook!

The ladies on their bicycles inspire me - I need to get mine out and ride it!

Go for it! :eusa_clap I used to cycle to and from college (Trinity - you can see the entrance of Trinity in the last 2 pictures). It hasn't changed at all. It is great when you can cycle for a purpose, to get to a destination, rather than just for exercise.

Mr. 'H' said:
Go for it! :eusa_clap I used to cycle to and from college (Trinity - you can see the entrance of Trinity in the last 2 pictures). It hasn't changed at all. It is great when you can cycle for a purpose, to get to a destination, rather than just for exercise.

Well, now I am even more inspired! It's a bit too far to Trinity from here, but I can cycle to the market and back :)

How lovely you went to Trinity, too! I remember thinking when I was there on holiday how much I would love to pretty much live in the college library!!

grundie

One of the Regulars
My office is roughly on the site of the G Roche store in the sixth photo down.

Roughly, because a fancy glass office block now sits on that site. It is totally out of place between Dublin Castle and the City Hall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe