Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to buy an A-2 jacket, opinions...

Peacoat

Bartender
I agree with Seb. Your choice of words is confusing: ". . . except for the chest, which is 3 inches shorter than mine." Do you mean the torso is shorter, or the chest is not as wide?

Also, the company says their jackets are measured p2p across the chest from seam to seam. That's fine if all jackets have the seams at the exact same place--including the one you are measuring for comparison. If not, there is no way to get an accurate idea of what chest size you will need. The best way to measure p2p is across the chest, just below the armpits with the fabric pulled tight taking an equal amount from the front and back, disregarding any seams. Then let the fabric relax and take the measurement. This will give a true p2p and is an accurate way of determining how the jacket will fit. Also, never express the p2p as doubled. It should only be expressed as the actual measurement. When doubled, any error in the measurement will also be doubled. When measuring your own chest, a p2p should not be used, but measure the actual diameter of your chest, wearing a T-shirt.

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
I agree with Seb. Your choice of words is confusing: ". . . except for the chest, which is 3 inches shorter than mine." Do you mean the torso is shorter, or the chest is not as wide?.
Yes, sorry about that. The chest is not as wide is what I mean.

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
Here are the dimensions for their 36R:
Chest: 21"
Shoulder 18.5"
Sleeve 37"
Center Back 25"

My Alpha Industries A-2 is:
Chest: 23"
Shoulder 19"
Sleeve 37"
Center Back 25"

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Would probably fit you better than what you have, although both sleeves and body length likely too long. Consider keeping what you have until you can get the correct fit, even if it means spending more money.

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
My A-2 sleeves feel pretty good actually, I've got long arms. You may be right about body length though.

However I was looking on eBay and found a Cooper A-2 in size 36R and it also has a 25" body length (assuming it was measured correctly), actually the overall dimensions are pretty similar to the US Authentic version. I am even considering the Cooper A-2 over the US Authentic, the only thing holding me back is I can't return the Cooper if it doesn't fit right.

Here is the listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-COO...623?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3b4074e7

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
This one on eBay definitely wouldn't be too big on me, that's for sure! :D
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOY-1-6-Hob...WII-Pilot-Leather-Bomber-Jacket-/390998210991
Mini A-2.jpg

thor

Call Me a Cab
There's a Lost Worlds russet horsehide A-2 in size 34 on their "sales" page for $425 (they normally run $1,000+).
If you're not familiar with LW just check their website. Definitely one of the premier makers of leather jackets. They are not over-sized and blousey nor are they skin-tight/uber-slim, so a LW size 34 may fit you the way you like.
If the sizing works for you, grab it. You won't regret it!

Last edited:

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
I don't know... as others posted earlier the 'Lost World's' sizing is a bit of a gamble and they don't accept returns.

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
I was originally going to just buy a smaller Alpha Industries A-2 since they have a very close Military fit with the shorter body length. Mine is great, its simply two sizes too big on me. The jacket was an impulse buy at a pilot shop several years ago, they only had size L, XL, and XXL and I bought the size L. The size I really needed was a Small, looking back I should have just waited and did it right the first time! :eusa_doh:

Unfortunately they stopped making their 1940s style A-2 and added side entry pockets to their current version. :(

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Unfortunately they stopped making their 1940s style A-2 and added side entry pockets to their current version. :(

There is a reason why so many manufacturers have added these extra pockets. Having jackets with both styles, the extra side pocket is a winner for me (and many others).

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
There is a reason why so many manufacturers have added these extra pockets. Having jackets with both styles, the extra side pocket is a winner for me (and many others).

One of the main reasons I don't care for the A-2 is the lack of pockets. Even an inside pocket would make a huge difference. I don't carry a ton of stuff with me, but I need an easily accessible pocket for my keys at least. I'm still considering picking up an A-2, but it will be a used LL Bean version if I get one. The made in USA versions seems to be well made and have side entry pockets - plus they are relatively cheap on eBay.

I honestly haven't really read through this thread a whole bunch, but to the OP: get a cheap A-2 first. It may fill your needs quite satisfactorily, but it's almost a certainty that your first leather jacket is going to guide you in your search for the right jacket. Once you get your measurements dialed in, it will be much easier to buy the right A-2, even if you buy used.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
You might also consider an Aero "Final Year Trainee USAAF Type A-2 Flight Jacket" for £300 (just under $450) as an alternative, keeping in mind that Aero's A-2's run small. They have several size 38's listed with back and sleeve lengths given. You might ask Aero what the P2P is to see if one might work for you. Maybe even a size 40. [huh]

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1138

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
You might also consider an Aero "Final Year Trainee USAAF Type A-2 Flight Jacket" for £300 (just under $450) as an alternative, keeping in mind that Aero's A-2's run small. They have several size 38's listed with back and sleeve lengths given. You might ask Aero what the P2P is to see if one might work for you. Maybe even a size 40. [huh]

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1138

Those are some beautiful jackets! I was checking out Aero before and their main jackets were out of my price range, but I could manage one of these trainee jackets. Do you know if the back length includes the hem?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Those are some beautiful jackets! I was checking out Aero before and their main jackets were out of my price range, but I could manage one of these trainee jackets. Do you know if the back length includes the hem?

Yes, the back length does include the bottom of the knit (collar seam to bottom of jacket). If you are interested at this point, I suggest you contact Aero and ask for specifics regarding sizing from them. Based on information you have provided in this thread, I imagine a ~25" back and ~25" sleeves (measured shoulder seam around the curvature of the outer arm to end of knit - unsure how you measured 37" sleeves). Provide Aero with as much objective information as you can. Hopefully, one of their size 38's (or their one size 40) will work. Measure your best fitting jacket using the model below:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?74921-Leather-jacket-question

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks for posting that again, Fanch. I wish a moderator would make these pictures and instructions a sticky. I can never find it when I need it. I have suggested it before, but it never got traction. It could go in the "Guide" section. It would make an excellent addition. P.C.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Sleeve measurement is from the center of the collar, down to the shoulder seam, down to the elbow, then all the way to the end of the knitted cuff.
Just like a dress shirt.

This would explain the 37" sleeve in question.

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
Yes, that's how I measured my sleeve, since that's how US-A measures. The sleeve itself is 26 inches, actually a little long for me but within acceptable limits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld