Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a Jacket

cossack

New in Town
Hello,

So I figured I need to add a leather jacket to my wardrobe and after doing some research I concluded, that this jacket by Shangri La should be it: https://shangrilaheritage.it/product/varenne-black-leather-jacket/.
As you can see this is a rather simple, italian, slim fitting rider jacket in black.

I actually had the chance to try it on and its a bit big for me in XL and nearly perfect (a tiny bit too small) in L - so i figured I would buy it in XL since i plan on putting on some more muscle.

The problem with the jacket is, that its aftermarkt value seems to be around 50% of the retail price, which for me as a student makes it hard to justify buying it retail. But since the jacket is being sold used so rarely, I realized I might have to wait a year for my opportunity.

In the meantime I dont want to be without a leather jacket and figured it would be best to buy a different black leather jacket, that is close to the style of the Shangri La jacket and that fits me best now (remember L fit me quite nicely now, but I dont expect it to fit me in 2 years time).

So ultimately my question is: What jackets are there similar to the Varenne by Shangri La, that are being sold regularly on the aftermarket?

Thanks in advance!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
https://www.vinted.nl/items/5243848497-shangri-la-heritage-varenne-black-leather-jacket

IMG_6645.jpeg

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would suggest something like the Vanson Oxford:
https://www.vansonleathers.com/traditional/40-9D-BLK-oxford-leather-motorcycle-jacket-ENF.html
This jacket is an awesome deal here in the U.S., if you are in Europe then perhaps not so much.
On another note, you mention resale value and I have to say that there are many awesome things about leather jackets but resale value is typically not one of them. If this is important to you then the used market may be your best bet.

cossack

New in Town
I would suggest something like the Vanson Oxford:
https://www.vansonleathers.com/traditional/40-9D-BLK-oxford-leather-motorcycle-jacket-ENF.html
This jacket is an awesome deal here in the U.S., if you are in Europe then perhaps not so much.
On another note, you mention resale value and I have to say that there are many awesome things about leather jackets but resale value is typically not one of them. If this is important to you then the used market may be your best bet.
Yes thats the whole problem - My conscience is forcing me to go the used route. And yes im europe based and that jacket seems to be even harder to get here.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes thats the whole problem - My conscience is forcing me to go the used route. And yes im europe based and that jacket seems to be even harder to get here.
Interesting, my conscience usually forces me to buy the most expensive and least practical option…
Fortunately, for you, there are a number of wise members here from all over Europe, who should be able to point you in the right direction.

Manolito

Familiar Face
If you want jackets that retain more than 50% of their values, I confirm the only way is to go on the second hand market.

In France on this market, you will find a lot of Schott USA (always make sure that they have a Made in USA tag written in all letters !), a few Aero Leather, a few Vansons, a few Lewis Leather/Aviakit... In the more supple/lighter style, you can find interesting bargains with the italian brand Stewart as there are many of them on Vinted, or Valstar Milano (much lighter, but super well finished).

cossack

New in Town
T
It is worth keeping an eye on Vinted.
There are a few Vansons, mostly in France and Italy.
Here's a size 44 Enfield, which is the same as the Oxford but without the back seam.
Very short altered sleeves though.
View attachment 648136
[/URL]
Thank you for this find. Since im tall and slim, sleeves would already be the biggest problem with a jacket in L. But it seems that vinted in the benelux states holds a good amount of treasures, this helps me.

cossack

New in Town
If you want jackets that retain more than 50% of their values, I confirm the only way is to go on the second hand market.

In France on this market, you will find a lot of Schott USA (always make sure that they have a Made in USA tag written in all letters !), a few Aero Leather, a few Vansons, a few Lewis Leather/Aviakit... In the more supple/lighter style, you can find interesting bargains with the italian brand Stewart as there are many of them on Vinted, or Valstar Milano (much lighter, but super well finished).
Thats also something I was curious about - with which brands do I have to be careful of counterfeilt products? Is this a problem with Vanson, Aero etc.?

3.14nche

A-List Customer

Manolito

Familiar Face
Thats also something I was curious about - with which brands do I have to be careful of counterfeilt products? Is this a problem with Vanson, Aero etc.?
I've never seen a fake Aero or Vanson, at least not on the european market of ebay/vinted. I've sometimes seen jackets abusively indicated as Lewis Leather, but is more misnamed jackets on sales website than "fake" jackets.

The only one strange thing i have seen on hundreds and hundreds of Schott USA classifieds is one case discusses on this forum, when a seller sewed a made in USA Schott label in a made in China european Schott jacket. I have only seen it once...

Doctor Death

New in Town
Wow, that is a good looking jacket! Never even heard of Shangri-La Heritage before. Checked out their website and they've got lots of other good ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbkmusic