Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long Hair Felt care

Frontporchcharlie

New in Town
Hello Y’all.

I just acquired a Long Hair Biltmore cowboy hat from the 1970’s. They label the finish as “Canadian Kodiak”. I can’t find any guides or info about long hair hat care and maintenance. I was hoping one of you could give me some advice.

Thank you

Frontporchcharlie

New in Town
pictures would help
Here are a few pictures. I'm going to replace the hat band with either a horsehair band or a grosgrain band. I'm also going to put either a cattleman crease or a pinched front. Get rid of the ostrich feather, but keep the iconic Biltmore leaf pin.
1000002407.jpg
1000002409.jpg
1000002411.jpg
1000002413.jpg

So it is slightly long haired and not what is called a 'grizzly' finish. I would think just a good hat brush will do the job. If you want to raise the nap a bit buy a 'dog brush" but buy one with the steel bristles with plastic nubs on the end if you just want to raise the nap. The brushes with the the straight metal tines will raise the nap more and also remove some felt fibres. Brushes are about $15...from a pet store.

Frontporchcharlie

New in Town
So it is slightly long haired and not what is called a 'grizzly' finish. I would think just a good hat brush will do the job. If you want to raise the nap a bit buy a 'dog brush" but buy one with the steel bristles with plastic nubs on the end if you just want to raise the nap. The brushes with the the straight metal tines will raise the nap more and also remove some felt fibres. Brushes are about $15...from a pet store.
I appreciate the advice. I'll do some before and after pics later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1