Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

List of jackets keeps expanding

icecold

One of the Regulars
:eusa_doh:
Sigh... I know this topic re-occurs occasionally, but caught myself in the vicious cycle...
All I wanted until recently was 1 hardcore leather jacket :) , then of course the list expanded to include an A-2 (just because...), and then an Indy (because who doesn't like indy?) :).
Now, as I develop eye for detail, I'm already thinking of different versions of a jacket, different hides, more models, etc., etc., etc. It's insane :( . I know I should put a stop to this, but i'm not ready yet :D

I'm observing myself and I'm trying to understand the psychology of this :). generally, I'm pretty impulsive, maybe even have a somewhat addictive personality, but that can't explain everything.

So, here's my general theory of greed (i.e. applies to everything, not just clothes). Basically, 1) you really like something; 2) if this something is relatively expensive, getting it actually fills a major need (broadly defined); 3) but you still have this general affection for the artifact in question; but 4) the marginal utility of every next item (e.g. jacket), drops off dramatically (i.e. a second jacket doesn't make you that much better off; or to put it another way, the enjoyment level is not 2x the enjoyment of your 1st jacket; so 5) your demand escalates exponentially so you could make up for the small marginal utility of every next jacket :)

(Well, it's not really a theory, just a super basic economic applied to the problem in question. The real problem is how do you stop the vicious cycle :)? I'm not about to ruin my life buying jackets, but I'm still spending money that could probably be used better elsewhere... Not to mention that: more jackets = less broken in jackets, which doesn't look good.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I fall in love with a new jacket every day, the only thing that keeps me from selling all of my possessions to get lots of jackets is that I hate having jackets that are not well worn and if I have too many jackets I cant wear them all in well. I allow myself one new jacket every 1 - 2 years, unless I come across some amazing bargain (under $50.00 USD).

icecold

One of the Regulars
JLStorm said:
I fall in love with a new jacket every day, the only thing that keeps me from selling all of my possessions to get lots of jackets is that I hate having jackets that are not well worn and if I have too many jackets I cant wear them all in well. I allow myself one new jacket every 1 - 2 years, unless I come across some amazing bargain (under $50.00 USD).

Thankfully, I also can't spend too much money at once, so I carefully evaluate every next jacket. which helps me trim the list a bit. Um... it's down from 10 to 8..., hopefully it will go down further :(
I'll try to do it like you do it, perhaps a jacket a year. I just have one horrible "survivalist" and completely irrational mentality - i.e. let's hurry, what if 'something happens' to Aero next year lol

The other extreme measure is to stop reading here, which is impossible - the company is way too chill and pleasant :eusa_clap

JLStorm

Practically Family
icecold said:
Thankfully, I also can't spend too much money at once, so I carefully evaluate every next jacket. which helps me trim the list a bit. Um... it's down from 10 to 8..., hopefully it will go down further :(
I'll try to do it like you do it, perhaps a jacket a year. I just have one horrible "survivalist" and completely irrational mentality - i.e. let's hurry, what if 'something happens' to Aero next year lol

The other extreme measure is to stop reading here, which is impossible - the company is way too chill and pleasant :eusa_clap

Ive purchased about 20 new and used jackets over the last 15+ years. Only 2 of them are over $300.00 USD (a Schott and an Aero), but most were less than $200.00 and most serve a specific function for work or climate.

I would be careful about buying to much at one time. What if you gain or lose weight? What if you get injured and your body shape changes (it happened to me). Personal things change, but most of these styles of jacket are timeless and will always be around, as the demand is pretty stable. If one company goes out of business, I am certain another will fill their void per the "laws" of supply and demand.

Honestly, I find jackets are rather worthless without some good stories and memories that go along with them and that comes with lots of wear. Besides a jacket is like a good pair of shoes, the more you wear it the more comfortable it becomes and some of these high quality tough skinned jackets take a lot of wear before that happens.

When I look in my closet at my jackets its like a look back in time, they each have so much meaning and so many memories attached. Sure, the new jacket gets the most wear at the moment, but in time, its the old and trusted that gets picked off the hanger most of the time.

My advice would be to get something custom that fills as many wants and needs as possible to keep the overall number and cost down and lets you wear it lots.

fishmeok

Vendor
The only cure I know of is to go down the path I took- learn how to make your own jackets. Once you realize that you can make something as good as the big manufactures and in YOUR size, every other jacket becomes a pattern, not a collectible...
'Course then the obsessive side switches to hides, materials, and where to find them, which can be just as exspensive:eusa_doh:
Cheers
Mark

icecold

One of the Regulars
JLStorm said:
Ive purchased about 20 new and used jackets over the last 15+ years. Only 2 of them are over $300.00 USD (a Schott and an Aero), but most were less than $200.00 and most serve a specific function for work or climate.

I would be careful about buying to much at one time. What if you gain or lose weight? What if you get injured and your body shape changes (it happened to me). Personal things change, but most of these styles of jacket are timeless and will always be around, as the demand is pretty stable. If one company goes out of business, I am certain another will fill their void per the "laws" of supply and demand.

Honestly, I find jackets are rather worthless without some good stories and memories that go along with them and that comes with lots of wear. Besides a jacket is like a good pair of shoes, the more you wear it the more comfortable it becomes and some of these high quality tough skinned jackets take a lot of wear before that happens.

When I look in my closet at my jackets its like a look back in time, they each have so much meaning and so many memories attached. Sure, the new jacket gets the most wear at the moment, but in time, its the old and trusted that gets picked off the hanger most of the time.

My advice would be to get something custom that fills as many wants and needs as possible to keep the overall number and cost down and lets you wear it lots.

Very good points. I have an Aero 30s halfbelt in heavy FQHH on the way , so obviously this bad boy will need a lot of abuse and hard wear before it even begins to look like an actual leather jacket (as opposed to a tank). So it will keep me busy for a while and I'll steer clear of other distractions. That said, I'll soon procure an A-2, simly because that's a no-brainer and probably a light lambskin indy for summer, and this should keep me away from casual purchases for at least an year or two. By that time hopefully i won't care too much about having other jackets anyway.

icecold

One of the Regulars
fishmeok said:
The only cure I know of is to go down the path I took- learn how to make your own jackets. Once you realize that you can make something as good as the big manufactures and in YOUR size, every other jacket becomes a pattern, not a collectible...
'Course then the obsessive side switches to hides, materials, and where to find them, which can be just as exspensive:eusa_doh:
Cheers
Mark

Interesting, I don't see myself doing this soon, at least not until i settle more, but I clearly has an appeal. Custom jacket would also male a great present for a girlfriend :)

icecold

One of the Regulars
I managed to trim the list to 6..., perhaps even 5 if i don't ever move out of the south:

2X Indy
1X A-2
1X 30s halfbelt (black)
1X Irvin
1X the Luftvaffe/dominator, the one just unveiled here :eusa_clap

I'm proud of myself, this is a 40% reduction (and still excessive by any civilian standard :eek: lol )

IndianaGeo

New in Town
the psychology of jacket buying

Ice,
I too am trying to figure out the psychology of jacket buying. I started with two Indy jackets from Wested over the summer and I was about to pull the trigger on an Aero Halfbelt recently (and still intend to in the near future) when I found myself getting a Hackett MacGregor jacket (it's an all cotton water resistant jacket that looks rather cool) while at a mall. Oh, the jacket that kickstarted this whole thing was a very pricey leather Belstaff.

The temptation for more is irresistible. I seem to want to cover the entire gamut of classic styles for any number of situations and weather conditions. When you figure this crazy "addiction" out let me know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe