Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lewis Leathers Monza And Super Monza

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
really? i saw a red one just like that go for £3.5k on eBay about 4 or 5 months ago.
I guess that's the vintage price. Just as the vintage Beck Northeaster 333 fetches a higher price than the new Schott 1928H though Schott made the old one for Beck as well.

Edward

Bartender
FWIW, and this is only a personal opinion, worth precisely what you paid for it... I've never owned a Lewis but I've handled more than a few originals (I spent a long time searching for a fringed Corsair, and baulked at paying £200 back in the day.... strictly for a costume, mind - wouldn't be seen dead in a fringed jacket otherwise...) in my time, and quite honestly I consider the current models superior, or at least much more consistent in terms of hide quality and to some extent manufacture as compared with seventies examples. Not "real, original" Lewis jackets if you want to be pedantic, but if the old ones that aren't so great are pulling in the silly money now....

Justhandguns

Practically Family
FWIW, and this is only a personal opinion, worth precisely what you paid for it... I've never owned a Lewis but I've handled more than a few originals (I spent a long time searching for a fringed Corsair, and baulked at paying £200 back in the day.... strictly for a costume, mind - wouldn't be seen dead in a fringed jacket otherwise...) in my time, and quite honestly I consider the current models superior, or at least much more consistent in terms of hide quality and to some extent manufacture as compared with seventies examples. Not "real, original" Lewis jackets if you want to be pedantic, but if the old ones that aren't so great are pulling in the silly money now....

Totally agree. I have handled some older Lewis, and yes, their quality vary quite a lot. I guess they must have been from different periods. Unlike some vintage flight jackets, which obviously are out of production and have a long history behind them, I can understand that they can command high price tags. But for Lewis? They are still around and still make some top quality jackets. I know some people here complain about the current Lewis hide are too soft and thin for motorcycle riding, but honestly, how many of the bikers these days are actually wearing Vanson, Langlitz, Aero etc when they are riding? They all wear synthetic waterproof overalls!

Edward

Bartender
Totally agree. I have handled some older Lewis, and yes, their quality vary quite a lot. I guess they must have been from different periods. Unlike some vintage flight jackets, which obviously are out of production and have a long history behind them, I can understand that they can command high price tags. But for Lewis? They are still around and still make some top quality jackets. I know some people here complain about the current Lewis hide are too soft and thin for motorcycle riding, but honestly, how many of the bikers these days are actually wearing Vanson, Langlitz, Aero etc when they are riding? They all wear synthetic waterproof overalls!

I think the 'heavy leather' preference is a relatively reccent thing, really. I prefer it myself, but I well know that my FQHH Aeros are much heavier than the original style which inspired them. Back in the late fifties / Sixties, a lot of the original Rockers couldn't even afford leather - I've seen a fair few pleather-type things which I undestand to be from that period.... I've always put it down to bikes being smaller and slower back then than now.... You're quite right that for most contemporary bikers who place no demand on style, the thing is armoured cordura and nylon rather than leather. Not my style at all, but I can't argue with the safety aspect...

Justhandguns

Practically Family
That is very true. I like heavy hides and I love my competition weight Vanson, but there seems to be an obsession for ultra thick hide here at this particular forum. As for practical riding jackets, especially with the type of weather that we have here in the UK, you really need something which is as waterproof as a diving suit sometimes. In a way, we are so used to demand for heavy hides (especially horse.....) in all the discussion here in which we have totally forgotten than 95% of people who prefer soft and supple lamb skins as their choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe