Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lewis Leathers botched repair job on boots

leathermilitia

New in Town
so I had worn my racing boots near daily for about a year and a half, the zipper on the left boot started to separate at the heel and were pretty much done. I'm not sure what causes this, strain? Ive had this happen with a pair of westway boots in the past but they didnt even last a month, LL had repaired/replaced them 3 times. this was 2012 or so. Gave LL a second chance in 2022, they told me they had a new zip supplier and were more durable now, boots were great before it happened, very comfortable etc. Sent them out to LL to have it repaired and they came back with the worse job ive seen (cost me 90 something USD to ship to them)
Apparently they have a boot mender they contract for repairs instead of the original makers (of which they wouldnt give me the name to either when asked). when they stitched the new zips in they didn't bother to reuse the old sitching holes making a nasty third track, and on one boot they didnt even bother to stitch it in all the way lol, and just slapped glue over it. It came off after about wearing it for an hour and thats when I noticed. Not only that but on that same boot they did some weird stitch job on the bottom of the zip cover so it would chafe my heel...
Not sure what to do with these now, theyve been sitting around for a couple months now. LL was pretty unapologetic about it and didnt even notice what was wrong until i told them (i guess they didnt bother to look at the photos). It's too bad because as far as this style goes LL makes the best looking pair, does anyone know any other companies selling racing boots this style? I don't like the gasolinas, and I See vendramini has an offering but theyre 1000 USD, and i think the LLs look better still...

Attachments

• photo_2024-10-01_02-42-13.jpg
    photo_2024-10-01_02-42-13.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 12
  • photo_2024-10-01_02-42-09.jpg
    photo_2024-10-01_02-42-09.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 13
  • photo_2024-10-01_02-42-04.jpg
    photo_2024-10-01_02-42-04.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 13
  • photo_2024-10-01_02-41-56.jpg
    photo_2024-10-01_02-41-56.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 14

Edward

Bartender
Shame you've had a bad experience with Lewis - I've not heard of this being common, but totally understand how it can sour you on the brand. Unfortunately there aren't many options for this British style of boot, certainly not here in the UK. Lewis have dominated a particular retro market for this sort of thing for a very long time. What was it you didn't like about the Gasolinas? I've owned a pair of those I picked up used but minty a few years ago. Just fractionally too narrow in the calf for me, alas. Been holding on to them in case the wife wants them later on, but otherwise need to sell. Beautifully made, though, and I'd consider buying from them again. Possibly a custom version of their Westway equivalent, with a front ankle strap added and the rear one deleted (with travel in mind - easy zip in and out, no fiddly with buckles if I have to take them off at security anywhere).

Goldtop might be worth looking at. Very nicely made boots. Not to my personal aesthetics thus far as they've mostly revived the racing boot style rather than their streetwear options, but if the look wiggles your wire... https://goldtop.co.uk/collections/boots-bags

If you like the taller Lewis style boot, the GTH Patrol Boot might be an option. I've seen there in person and they feel pretty sturdy. I've long been a little tempted, but held off so far as I tend to favour a shorter boot worn up my trouser legs, American style (and unless I buy some jodhpurs, all my trews are too wide and have too much cloth in them to fit rolled up inside a tall boot). https://www.silvermans.co.uk/products/gth-trophy-police-m-c-boots These are styled after the boots that Goldtop made for English MC police back in the day. Only available in black, if that matters.

leathermilitia

New in Town
i had a pair of autobahns and they weren't bad. I just think the lewis has a better fit and looks nicer, seems to be nicer leather too. I'm aware of the gold top boots. They seem alright but I still like the lewis more. Youve never had the zipper teeth at the heel get too weak over time? In the past when they did this repair for me it came out fine so im not sure whats happened over the years. Saw another poster on here have a terrible repair job from lewis on a jacket that got damaged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocette59