Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Levallois

Practically Family
I got a couple Speedys;never heard them termed fragile. You do know the story of how they made it on to the wrist of astronauts, don't you?

I do, and maybe it's just mine, but it's in again for repairs. This is the second time this year.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
One of the more iconic Rolex watches - a circa 1965 Explorer with the rare gilt-dial on a Rolex Jubilee bracelet. This watch has an understated elegance allowing it to be worn while hiking or hunting and also for the opera or black tie affairs. Plus it is on the smaller side and isn't as gaudy as some Rolex sport watches.

DSC01577.jpg

Id like something like that, only with a rotating bezel. The face is classic. So many of today's divers and aviator watches have faces that you need a degree in engineering (or maybe just my reading glasses) to make out. I want a watch of this style that I can see without my glasses.

Levallois

Practically Family
The bracelet came with the watch, along with a nice NATO strap, and I've seen others with the same Rolex-marked jubilee so I just assumed it was an option for the Explorer I?

And I love the classic simplicity and accuity of the watch too.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Here's an Omega automatic that once belonged to my Great-Uncle. It's dated 1960 in the inscription on the back, and I recently found it in my father's things. The second hand had fallen off and was rattling around inside the crystal. A local watch repair place put that second hand back on today for $5, and I put a new band on it. I have no idea what model this is,and I've been unable to find an exact match anywhere on the net. At any rate, it's a nice gold watch that is keeping very good time so far,especially since it may have spent 40 years in that dresser.
S6000703.jpg

Here's an Omega automatic that once belonged to my Great-Uncle. It's dated 1960 in the inscription on the back, and I recently found it in my father's things. The second hand had fallen off and was rattling around inside the crystal. A local watch repair place put that second hand back on today for $5, and I put a new band on it. I have no idea what model this is,and I've been unable to find an exact match anywhere on the net. At any rate, it's a nice gold watch that is keeping very good time so far,especially since it may have spent 40 years in that dresser.

It reminds me of my Omega Automatic Constellation.
Look on the back of the watch and see if it has an observatory on it.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
It reminds me of my Omega Automatic Constellation.
Look on the back of the watch and see if it has an observatory on it.

The watch has a smooth back that has been engraved-it was a presentation watch to my Great Uncle for his tenure as the president of the TF club of Chicago 1959-1960. no other markings. No idea what the TF club was,but they thought pretty highly of him to give him a gold Omega. I spent some time scouring the web and ebay, and I found lots of Omegas that look close, but nothing matched exactly.

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
I have it since some weeks, but thought it's too beauty not to be shown. A Raleigh Plain with the somewhat rare etched numeral dial, made c. 1930/31. Etched means, they are not, well applied, but made out of the silver dial itself and colored with gold. The hands are also the original one for this model and dial variation. Good, old and purely american high class workmanship.

raleigh-1.jpg

Last edited:

Talbot

One Too Many
P1010909.jpg

Just had this back from the dial refinisher. My budget would not run to a military Omega, and the dial was pretty far gone on this one, so why not?

I know its not correct, but I'm enjoying it.

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Copper and Tomasso!

Another simple Elgin with an expansion bracelet with push releases. Wear shows much less than the photo appears.

5249965788_0bfc024a9a_z.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe