Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather motorcyle jacket

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Is that a mandarin style collar before you attach the fur? If so, how does it work?
Hi Edward, yes, it's a mandarin collar. I wasn't sure how it would work when I ordered it. It has snaps on it to fit collar, and sits a couple of inches above the leather, it's like a neck warmer, and is actually pretty functional. I've come to like it.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Quick unrelated question. How is "Schott" pronounced? I always thought it was "Scott" but I heard it pronounced as "Shot"?

PS-a very nice series of Schott jacket review videos. Kind of an ad, so mods feel free to remove if it's not appropriate.
http://youtu.be/voh7pSuu5Iw

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Yes, Shot. I think it's Germanic, hence the pronunciation.

Hi Edward, yes, it's a mandarin collar. I wasn't sure how it would work when I ordered it. It has snaps on it to fit collar, and sits a couple of inches above the leather, it's like a neck warmer, and is actually pretty functional. I've come to like it.

Interesting concept, I've never seen that before. Can imagone it working well, though - less prone to riding up that a regular cremovable collar?

Damo

A-List Customer
K Jacket #1 is done… Just bought a Vanson Chopper for my moto jacket!! Can't wait to get it in a couple of weeks… now its on to the on and off the bike jacket!!!

Thx to everyone who has given me advice and shared their experiences!!!

Excellent choice! I don't think you could've gotten yourself a finer jacket. If I had any kind of money at all, Vanson Chopper would've been my next jacket. Actually, Vanson Chopper will be my next jacket. And hopefully last.

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
Yes and no. On the move on a bike, I'd agree you'll not notice much of a difference, but wearing it standing or walking around, I certainly find my heavier leathers hotter. Not heat insulation, I'd agree - I think it's just the body working that fraction hard carrying a heavier jacket.

In a mall walking environement or in late warm june I will agree with you, a 8lbs jacket will somewhat ''feel'' warmer than a 4lbs one but in cold weather or when riding there is Zero difference. From personal experience. Leather is a great Wind braker but offers no insulation whatsoever .

Damo, congrats on the vanson! You will love it. Their quality is second to none.

Edward

Bartender
In a mall walking environement or in late warm june I will agree with you, a 8lbs jacket will somewhat ''feel'' warmer than a 4lbs one but in cold weather or when riding there is Zero difference. From personal experience. Leather is a great Wind braker but offers no insulation whatsoever .

We're on the same page on this, yeah.

Actually, the thing that surprised me the most the first time I was on the back of a motorcycle was just how quickly it got to feeling cold at relatively low speed. A sudden understanding on how all those bikers in head to toe leather in Summer I'd previously looked at in askance could cope with the 'heat' of that clothing in such weather!

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
K Jacket #1 is done… Just bought a Vanson Chopper for my moto jacket!! Can't wait to get it in a couple of weeks… now its on to the on and off the bike jacket!!!

Awesome! Great choice! Been wearing my new Vanson Enfield for riding more recently, gonna break out my Chopper tomorrow. Will look forward to finding out what you select as your second on-off-bike jacket. Oh, and yes, pics please!!!

Damo

A-List Customer
Excellent choice! I don't think you could've gotten yourself a finer jacket. If I had any kind of money at all, Vanson Chopper would've been my next jacket. Actually, Vanson Chopper will be my next jacket. And hopefully last.

Thx Monitor.. vanson is making a run of choppers now.. they will be ready by the end of next week.. it was actually on sale too…

Yep, gets cold very quick on a bike, no matter how thick the leather you're wearing is. When I just began riding, I was thinking that all my troubles would be solved by a jacket with thick lining until I realized that in relatively colder weather, even lining makes for a very little difference, too. It was then that I had ripped a shearling lining out of this old jacket I had (that thing was supplied to oil platform workers, warm as hell) and have been stuffing my riding jackets with it ever since. Perfect for late autumn/winter.

Vanson's zip in liner is surprisingly warm, though, and that blanket lining Aero used to do would also keep me warm on a bike.

Thx Monitor.. vanson is making a run of choppers now.. they will be ready by the end of next week.. it was actually on sale too…

Photos are a must, you do understand that, I hope. :D

Damo

A-List Customer

Damo, congrats on the vanson! You will love it. Their quality is second to none.

Thx Outlaw.. I can't wait to get my hands on it..

mendelboaz

One Too Many

EXCELLENT choice, man!!! You will fall in love with it the moment you shred the box it is shipped in to pieces! Can't wait to see the pics... Good luck on the purchase of your casual street jacket! Your wife making a move on you yet?

Damo

A-List Customer
Awesome! Great choice! Been wearing my new Vanson Enfield for riding more recently, gonna break out my Chopper tomorrow. Will look forward to finding out what you select as your second on-off-bike jacket. Oh, and yes, pics please!!!

Yep, gets cold very quick on a bike, no matter how thick the leather you're wearing is. When I just began riding, I was thinking that all my troubles would be solved by a jacket with thick lining until I realized that in relatively colder weather, even lining makes for a very little difference, too. It was then that I had ripped a shearling lining out of this old jacket I had (that thing was supplied to oil platform workers, warm as hell) and have been stuffing my riding jackets with it ever since. Perfect for late autumn/winter.

Vanson's zip in liner is surprisingly warm, though, and that blanket lining Aero used to do would also keep me warm on a bike.

Photos are a must, you do understand that, I hope. :D

Yes, I will have photos up when I get it…. thanks again!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe