Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jacket Recommendation

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Out of interest, with Aero does anyone know if you can specify the weight of tartan lining you want? I know Lochcarron offer three weights - the heaviest, I'm guessing, will be the equivalent of a picnic blanket but what about the mid-weight cloth?

Last edited:

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
I'm thinking that wanting a slim-fit jacket, and wanting a jacket for cold weathers in Beijing, may be a bit of a challenge. Especially if it is a short jacket instead of a coat.
I would say if you weren't wanting a HH to go with a B-6, that is a well-cut fleece jacket; but then again it ain't HH.

Edward

Bartender
Out of interest, with Aero does anyone know if you can specify the weight of tartan lining you want? I know Lochcarron offer three weights - the heaviest, I'm guessing, will be the equivalent of a picnic blanket but what about the mid-weight cloth?

Ask Amanda. I think Aero only use one weight for their linings. I have it in my Bootlegger, it is nice. I'd say it is probably the lightest one - certainly not the full on Winter kilt wool.

I'm thinking that wanting a slim-fit jacket, and wanting a jacket for cold weathers in Beijing, may be a bit of a challenge. Especially if it is a short jacket instead of a coat.

Exactly!

I would say if you weren't wanting a HH to go with a B-6, that is a well-cut fleece jacket; but then again it ain't HH.

Wasn't there a FLounger who had a B6 completely overlayed in FQHH? Or was that a B3? I think that would be expensive, though, and not really yield anything different (apart from the arms being lined, I suppose) than a Longshoreman or shearling lined Highwayman with an added shearling collar... (personally, I'd go for a dark coloured mouton on one of those - doesn't get grubby the way a shearling can.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for that! I thought that was the case, because the tartans lying around at the factor all seemed to be quite light. It was just when I was going through an older post I noticed somebody said that they had the Strome-weight tartan put in.

Naser

New in Town
You're right. I mean I might be going about it all wrong. I am, afterall, comparing the power of goose feather filled puff to a slim leather. But I thought the alpaca wool lining would be sufficient.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Don't they state on their website that you can request any Lochcarron lining you want? That would include the heavier weights, even when Aero don't use them by default.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Will recommended against having the alpaca for UK living - he said that it was more suitable for Canada or Russia, but I just wonder whether or not going for a mid-weight tartan might make for a more flexible jacket.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
I definitely opted for the light-weight tartan and it is heavy enough for German weather. Maybe not for real cold winter-days, but then, in my experience, it's not the jacket that keeps you warm but the sweater you're wearing under it. The jacket simply keeps out the cold air, or, more precisely, keeps the warm air in. For this, a leather jacket in FQHH is very good, imho.
The weather just turned cool here in Germany and my LHB is in Scotland for a few alterations - first jacket, you know - and I wish I had it back ;). Anyway, looking forward to autumn-weather with cool winds and rain and all. Together with my Vitafelt Stetson I got the perfect gear for that, better than every "function" coat...

wdw

One Too Many
The weather just turned cool here in Germany

Good. I'll be in Germany next month and was hoping to take an Aero. My experiences of October holidays in Bavaria is that it's often quite warm during the day, so we're hoping for cool and fresh this time.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
That's a good point, Don. I own a heavy leather pea coat that started out with a quilted lining. It got shredded over the years (my brother once commented that it looked as though a wild animal had sharpened its claws on the thing) and I had it re-lined with just a plain grey sateen-cloth, and now that I think about it, losing the lining made little real difference. I think it's down to wind-proofing with storm cuffs and thick fur collar to keep the elements out.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
It is interesting how much difference a fur collar alone makes. The difference between my A-2 and G-1 (mouton collar) is night and day.

It is interesting how much difference a fur collar alone makes. The difference between my A-2 and G-1 (mouton collar) is night and day.
I agree Fanch. I've got a few coats with 'em and on cold mornings sitting outside drinking coffee, the fur wins! Real or faux. :)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I agree Fanch. I've got a few coats with 'em and on cold mornings sitting outside drinking coffee, the fur wins! Real or faux. :)

Butte, I would ask you to will that fancy LHB with fur collar to me if you weren't a foot bigger in all directions than I am!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I know you're an MD Fanch, do you k ow something I don't??? lol

Butte, all kidding aside, that LHB with fur collar that you picked up in Scotland is one good looking jacket. If we can ever drift from summer heat to autumn cool, maybe we can start to enjoy some of those fancy jackets that we own. Have a great weekend!

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
So, the real question is: have we helped Naser in the quest to find the perfect HH jacket, or have we just hijacked his thread?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82