Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Hatboxes

Magus

Practically Family
Ok Folks…I have been doing custom leatherwork for about 10 years or so now…mostly for enjoyment, some for sale. I am considering making a leather hatbox…or two…three…whatever. And have a few questions:

Is that something that appeals to you?

What style would you rather see? Round? Octagon? Square? Or…?

6-8 oz leather shoulder cuts are fairly sturdy and would be suitable for most situations but would reinforcing be desired?

Understand that I work by hand and frankly couldn’t charge enough for one to make it “worth my time” because stitching and tooling are just slow work. But depending on the answers and ideas…who knows? I will definitely be making one for myself.

Thanks for the thoughts.

M

yachtsilverswan

Familiar Face
London's James Lock makes the ultimate leather hatbox - but only to fit a tophat. A fedora version in brown bridle leather would push a lot of my buttons.

jameslockcoukbox3ic.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

http://www.jameslock.co.uk/prod2.taf?groupId=100077&_UserReference=D3C5018C7911790244627050

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
That does look nice

I bet you could do something better, Magus. This is very nice of course, but it lacks... elegance. All those buckles. It's a good thing a hat never has to pee. The Stetson is sorta Victorian or Western.
yhst-65999174371671_1894_37364451

A Golden Era box would look more... streamlined. Maybe oval like a Stratoliner box (except yours of course, would actually allow a hat to fit in it).

Magus

Practically Family
scotrace said:
I bet you could do something better, Magus. This is very nice of course, but it lacks... elegance. All those buckles. It's a good thing a hat never has to pee. The Stetson is sorta Victorian or Western.
yhst-65999174371671_1894_37364451

A Golden Era box would look more... streamlined. Maybe oval like a Stratoliner box (except yours of course, would actually allow a hat to fit in it).

This is a very nice hat box. And one sale for a decent price as well. I am thinking of oval...and sized to the individual hat...with a slightly different strap configuration to leave the top open for tooling the person's initials in it. Where this one really gains ground is in the stiching. Its done with a heavy leather sewing machine and try as someone might getting every stitch precisly the same size is incredibly difficuly by hand....and a breeze with a machine. Unfortunatly the machines are very costly....

I do like the feet but was considering having them on the large bottom side rather than the narrow so as to force the person setting it down to allow the hat to rest inverted rather than on its side...Thoughts on that ladies and gents?

Thanks for your ideas and links...they are very helpful.

M

Byrne Sherwood

Familiar Face
As you have acknowledged, this may not be an area where you will be able to profit financially, but that is no reason not to proceed. If you get into it, you may be able to create a market niche for yourself, like maybe rich oil men needing swank boxes for their cowboy hats. Who knows? While I think they are beautiful, I do not see myself buying a leather hat box b/c I'd sooner spend the money on another hat. But, if I could afford one, I would want one designed to effectively hold more than one hat. I say this b/c hat storage is a serious issue in my house and keeps my collecting tendencies in check. Also, I would like single box w/ drawers or trays in which to store my flat caps. Shape of the box? Whatever can store the most hat while taking up the least space. Well that's my two cents. Sounds like a fun project.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Closet Loungers!

I guess we now know that someone from that company reads The Fedora Lounge. They knew there would be an influx of orders so they saw no need to mark it down.

Maybe? just a WAG.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Really? Well, then ...

"WHAT A ROTTEN, UGLY BOX THEY SELL! GOSH, I WOULDN'T TAKE IT IF THEY GAVE IT TO ME! WHO WOULD PAY FULL PRICE FOR THAT WRECK?" (etc.)

Think it'll work?

Probably not, but it was worth a shot.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
There are a lot

A lot of lurkers. Always surprises me.

Who do we hope would come here?
John Peterman, Whoever runs Stetson now, and Monica Bellucci.

lol

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
A heads up.

I got the leather hat box today and I could not be any happier... The box is well made with a silk lining and the buckles are for show they are really push buttons so the case is very easy to open. Heavy duty vegy tanned leather and the stiching is nice and even.

I did get the sale price of $139.50 with free shipping. Now they are back up to $270.00. I would not have bought the case for $270.00...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun