Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lapel Width

Herr Hitman

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:
These suits came from the dreaded and often maligned MyCustomTailor. I have pretty good luck with them.

Now, allow me to clarify, I am not saying that there is anything wrong with the lapels on the brown suit. I love the brown suit. I am simply saying that the lapels on the midnight blue suit are more dramatic and that there is a marked difference between them. I leave it up to personal taste to decide which are preferable. It is a good exercise to see how much of a difference a small change makes.

In any case, thanks for the kind words.

Also, the photos of the midnight blue suit was taken right out of the package, so the folds and wrinkles are still in it from shipping.

I was actually thinking about ordering my suit from that site, wonder if they could do the lapels on my DB suit as dead on as they did on your 2nd suit.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Herr Hitman said:
I was actually thinking about ordering my suit from that site, wonder if they could do the lapels on my DB suit as dead on as they did on your 2nd suit.
It seems a bit of a crap shoot judging from everyone's collective experiences with them. I was very happy and I wish you the best of luck.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Herr Hitman said:
How are the pants?
Good question. On my blue suit they are much higher than on the brown. The brown pants always felt a little tight to me. Even the blue are still not constructed like vintage pants, but do give a vintage effect. They do have a nice and heavy and well-constructed waistband. I will post more photos with more detail at some point.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Herr Hitman said:
Wonder if they could do the lapels on my DB suit as dead on as they did on your 2nd suit.

Knowing the best proportions is more important than knowing the "best" measurements (which can vary anyway). Lapel proportions should harmonize with the cut of the suit, whatever that might be.

Some vintage examples of harmonious lapel proportions:

Newestt007.jpg

Newestt008.jpg

AuctionphotosMarch.jpg

Herr Hitman

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Knowing the best proportions is more important than knowing the "best" measurements (which can vary anyway). Lapel proportions should harmonize with the cut of the suit, whatever that might be.

Some vintage examples of harmonious lapel proportions:

Newestt007.jpg

Newestt008.jpg

AuctionphotosMarch.jpg

Well obviously proportion is the important thing, i was just looking for a common average lapel width suggestion.

Herr Hitman

One of the Regulars
Jovan said:
I knew I was forgetting something. :eusa_doh: Thanks for correcting my blunder, VW.

I hope you post more here, Hitman. The members here are always glad to help out and you should take advantage of their knowledge. :)

Thanks, im sure to post quite often. I enjoy how active this community is.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Herr Hitman said:
Well, obviously proportion is the important thing; I was just looking for a common average lapel width suggestion.

Okay, I understand.

I concur with Hemingway Jones. The average lapel width for double-breasted peak lapels was 5 1/2 inches. I've seen this measurement again and again in vintage suits made between 1935 and 1945 or so. It was indeed the standard.

Herr Hitman

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:
Good question. On my blue suit they are much higher than on the brown. The brown pants always felt a little tight to me. Even the blue are still not constructed like vintage pants, but do give a vintage effect. They do have a nice and heavy and well-constructed waistband. I will post more photos with more detail at some point.

So, the armholes?

Did you have to request for them to be made properly?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82