Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies! Black 1940s skirt, navy blue dress, FREE slip!

Sunny

One Too Many
It's my turn to pass on the "Ebay fitting woes" mistakes I've had! First up, this black rayon crepe skirt:

DSC00291.jpg

It's got eight gores and fastens on the left side with a hook and eye and a snap. The rayon crepe is pretty stretchy, but this IS a small size skirt. I was so disappointed! It's a perfect workaday skirt in the short wartime length and fabric-saving gored shape. I believe it was homemade (the dye in the thread inside has gone fugitive to olive green!) and the fabric's a little worn, but it seems sturdy and it's not faded at all.

Waist: 26" max
Hip (9" down from waist): 39.5" max
Length: nearly 22"

Detail of the side closing:

DSC00292.jpg

That tag is actually an old cleaning tag.

I paid $5, so that (plus actual shipping) is all I'm asking. Not a big investment! But believe me, if this one fit I'd be wearing it a lot. :(

Sunny

One Too Many
Navy blue dress

This one was a real disappointment:

DSC00297.jpg

It's a simple shirtwaist dress with details that make it really classy. The material is extremely smooth, non-stretch blend with a slight sheen. I think it's a cotton/silk blend, although it just might be a cotton/rayon. It's lightweight without being sheer, and crisp without being stiff. I love it!

Bust: about 36"
Waist: 27.5" max
Hip (9" down from waist): 39" max

Total length: 40"
Back waist length: 15" (this is neck to waist, not high point of shoulder to waist)
Skirt length: 26"

DSC00299.jpg

This is pretty close to the real color. It's a definite navy, not a dark blue, and not almost black. It's not faded at all, another good reason to think it's cotton/silk and not cotton/rayon. Rayon fades badly in the sun.

Note the pockets! The button/tab detail is so classy and cute.

DSC00298.jpg

This is closer up of the bodice. It's got self-fabric covered buttons in the front, a jewel neck, and a metal zipper on the side. There's a decorative tie at the neck with two wide half-beads for accent. Another classy detail.

And it comes with its original belt! The belt has been damaged and repaired in the past; these pictures are the best I can do:
FRONT
DSC00300.jpg

BACK
DSC00301.jpg

It looks like a huge amount of force tore one or two of the eyelets actually along a couple inches of the belt. Someone's done a fairly decent job of sewing it back together. It's not invisible by any means, but the dark color and unobtrusive nature of it especially when buckled ought to be okay. If it fit, I wouldn't feel uncomfortable wearing it. The back of the belt is faced with an imitation leather that's rather stiff and folded, but it's not about to come apart.

There's a seam separation at the side bodice just above the waist seam, on the other side from the zipper:

DSC00302.jpg

It's about 1.5" long, and the seam's just undone. I can fix it without much difficulty.

There's a small 1/2" tear right beside that and a little below, possibly where the now-loose belt loop attached. This may have been ripped in whatever accident damaged the belt:
DSC00303.jpg

If you want, I can take a shot at mending that as well. It's not big, and it's extremely inconspicuous. It's directly above the waist seam and will be invisible behind the belt.

The last thing I noticed was a stressed seam at the back of the right armhole:
DSC00304.jpg

It's scarcely noticeable (I happened to be looking closely just now), and can be reinforced or mended.

I'm beginning to suspect that whoever wore this dress did some pretty vigorous dancing in it! In my opinion, it's too fine a dress for strenuous dancing. The material is not meant to be yanked on. With its classy details, it's a great business/office dress, or for church or meetings or a casual dinner dress. It would even work for a short-notice funeral dress - believe me, I thought of that when I bought it! I'm still dreadfully disappointed it didn't fit me. It, too, would be a staple of my wardrobe.

I won it for $10, so that (plus shipping) is all I'm asking. Or PM me with another offer!

Sunny

One Too Many
And now... the free slip!

This one was sent to me by the oh-so-wonderful Vivianne, when I was agonizing over what to wear under my pink/peach 1930s dress. See here for the full tale. ;)

Unfortunately, it turned out to be way too big. So I want to pass it on to a lucky lady who will fit it!

DSC00293.jpg

It's ivory-colored non-stretch taffeta, with lovely scalloped embroidery detail at bodice and hem.

DSC00295.jpg

DSC00294.jpg

The grosgrain ribbon straps have metal sliders, and there's a zipper on the left side.

I'm roughly a modern size 6-8, and this was definitely too big for me. Mainly in the bust, since that's the only place a slip really needs to fit, but definitely too much to consider taking in.

Bust (as best as I can measure): at least 37"
Hip is approximately 40-42".
The length, not including the straps, is about 36".

The label, "Barbizon":
DSC00296.jpg

It's marked size 16. This can't be a vintage size 16, since I wear a vintage size 18. :D But I'm not sure it'd fit a modern 16, either. Somewhere in between, 10-12 and maybe 14.

Free, including shipping! Thank you so much, Vivianne!

Sunny

One Too Many
swingingchic said:
I am quite interested in a couple of these items, but unfortunately the pics are not loading, could you e-mail them to me???

I'd love to... but what's your address? :D It's not in your profile. By the way, the slip is gone - I just realized I'd forgotten to update. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centurionslut