Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just a few general questions.

Van_Tallgarden

New in Town
Hi chaps,
New to the Fedora Lounge, and I love the style of the 1930s.
I'm hoping to get more into it, and to dress in the fashion on a daily basis.
So, just wondering.
Is a waistcoat always necessary?
What are the small wraps that go on the upper arm of a shirt? (They look like tape)
and finally,
What should I look for in a double breasted suit?

Thanks, and sorry if this should be in a different board, or if a similar thread has been made.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Back in the old days, shirts came in a "one size fits all" kind of mode. But one size doesn't fit all. Sleeve-lengths were adjusted using elasticized bands called sleeve-garters. You can still buy them today.

Prior to the 1940s/1950s, a waistcoat was almost mandatory with a suit. But you don't HAVE to wear one with a suit. If you want the 1920s-1930s suit-style though, then a waistcoat would be a must. But only with single-breasted suits. DB not so much.

It's been a long time since I wore a double-breasted anything, so I won't comment on your last question.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
The most important thing is fit of the suit. If you're just starting, look for a suit that fits rather than one that looks perfectly 1930s. If you find one from the 30s that fits right away, well done! Wearing a shirt with a long point collar and a wide tie with a small knot (rather than a spread collar with a wide tie with a gigantic knot) will help tremendously with the 30s look.

If you're really going for the whole thing, the suit should have wider spaced buttons than double breasted suits do today, and it should button higher, with wider lapels. The trousers were higher and wider in the leg, and turn ups are a must. There was much more fabric choice then than you get off the rack today, too, but they had the moderns standards of gray and navy as well.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nick is right about that. Sleeve garters are only optional. A good shirt and a small tieknot as described are far more important. Also a good haircut would do a lot for the look. Just search the FL for threads about spearpoinbt collar shirts, ties and haircuts. Also look at the catalogue sticky and get used to the look of the suits.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I have my own set of sleeve garters. I don't use them often though and they are, in my mind, more suggestive of a turn-of-the-century look rather than the 1930s. I think by then, regular, fitted shirts were becoming more common. As Flooey & Nick say, they really are optional and in my opinion, should only be worn when you actually NEED to adjust the length of your sleeves.

If nothing else, sleeve-garters are handy for keeping your cuffs up when you're doing dirty work and don't want to get them grimy/wet.

Last edited:

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Has anyone ever seen someone, in person, not in a dramatic production or carnival, wearing sleevebands/arm garters? Or spats, for that matter.

I could be wrong, but I believe our own Marc C. has donned a pair of spats in the past.

Garters? Didn't the Baron used to wear sleeve garters? Or am I remembering a picture wrong?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Like I said, you only wear sleeve-garters when the sleeve-lengths actually need to be adjusted. Since most shirts these days aren't the "one size fits all" shirts of the past, there's not so much need to wear them as once there was. If I *needed* to wear sleeve-garters, though, I wouldn't have any hesitation about putting them on.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I always associate sleeve garters, along with those "sun visors" with the green underneath, with accountants and bankers.

Vintage_Banker_or_Bookie_100604-006385-339042.jpg

The garters are worn to keep the sleeves out of the ink drying on the journal or ledger being written in

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael