Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leathers Black Cherry Bison jacket

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Well it just shipped here’s my Seidel indigo bison with black and read shark accents we have the straps in black shark the X in red shark @red devil and the sleeve flab’s in black shark as well I’m told it going to be a brutal break in by Damon
Wow! Another home run. The navy bison looks awesome.
It will be a bit stiff at the start, I have the cognac version of this leather, the underside is actually quite soft like the other bison, but the shrunken surface has a hearty wax coating that gives it the shine. I rolled mine up and repeated that action and it's all good. Here is how it drapes about a few days after I got it, with some rolling to speed up the process, it's all good. Congrats.

IMG_8097.jpg
IMG_8083.jpg

X83

One of the Regulars
It will be a bit stiff at the start, I have the cognac version of this leather, the underside is actually quite soft like the other bison, but the shrunken surface has a hearty wax coating that gives it the shine. I rolled mine up and repeated that action and it's all good. Here is how it drapes about a few days after I got it, with some rolling to speed up the process, it's all good. Congrats.

View attachment 622199 View attachment 622200
Wow that looks incredible I truly do appreciate this forum. I’ve learned a lot from you guys.

tuanhng614

Familiar Face

View attachment 622199 View attachment 622200
When did you have this jacket made? It looks incredible! Is this their stock DEL-66 model?

How does the wearing feel compared to your shrunken horse grizzly jacket?

With most of the jacket posts lately, it seems that shrunken hides is taking the trend haha.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
When did you have this jacket made? It looks incredible! Is this their stock DEL-66 model?

How does the wearing feel compared to your shrunken horse grizzly jacket?

With most of the jacket posts lately, it seems that shrunken hides is taking the trend haha.
Very recent, one month old tops. This one is M200-L. DEL-66 has more tailored pre war look, the M200-L is more post war casual look, even all the dimensions are the same, very different cutting.

The Shrunken Horse is much easier to wear than the Seidel Shrunken Bison. And that's what I would suggest for most people. But for CXL FQHH aficionados I would suggest the Seidel shrunken bison. The shrunken horse seems to be the Montana tannage, and if that is the case, its temper rating is soft. CXL Steerhide temper rating is medium/soft. Seidel Shrunken Bison temper rating is medium. CXL FQHH temper rating is stiff.

I learned about these shrunken hides from Nicks boots. They do look amazing with the pull up effect. The boot weight is like 8oz thick, but JL can thin it down to garment weight 3oz which is highly suggested, maybe even 2.25oz for easier break in, that's how I do the CXL FQHH now, much easier to live with, same nice finishing.

tuanhng614

Familiar Face
Very recent, one month old tops. This one is M200-L. DEL-66 has more tailored pre war look, the M200-L is more post war casual look, even all the dimensions are the same, very different cutting.

The Shrunken Horse is much easier to wear than the Seidel Shrunken Bison. And that's what I would suggest for most people. But for CXL FQHH aficionados I would suggest the Seidel shrunken bison. The shrunken horse seems to be the Montana tannage, and if that is the case, its temper rating is soft. CXL Steerhide temper rating is medium/soft. Seidel Shrunken Bison temper rating is medium. CXL FQHH temper rating is stiff.

I learned about these shrunken hides from Nicks boots. They do look amazing with the pull up effect. The boot weight is like 8oz thick, but JL can thin it down to garment weight 3oz which is highly suggested, maybe even 2.25oz for easier break in, that's how I do the CXL FQHH now, much easier to live with, same nice finishing.
Speaking of skiving down, Damon always suggested that when we spoke about shrunken hides.

For both of your jackets, did you skive the seams only, or entire panel? And if you did the entire panel, what’s the weight after skiving grown on each respective jacket?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of skiving down, Damon always suggested that when we spoke about shrunken hides.

For both of your jackets, did you skive the seams only, or entire panel? And if you did the entire panel, what’s the weight after skiving grown on each respective jacket?
I would agree with him that waxed shrunken hides are best when they are lighter weight/thickness.

My shrunken bison was brought down to 3.25oz (whole panel not just seams). And at this thickness, it still feel very similar to CXL FQHH. For these wax stuffed pull up hides with shrunken grain, if you want to use them as daily jackets, it's best to go even lighter, 2.25oz.

2.25oz CXL FQHH out of the box, 3.25oz CXL FQHH over hundreds of days of wear, 3.25oz wax shrunken bison only rolling and no outside time yet, left to right, respectively, same cutting jacket, different drapes, look at sleeve and under armpits,
2 and 3 oz diff.jpg

While I generally advocate for thicker is better, there is the exception when it comes to wax stuffed and shrunken grain. Wax stuffing and shrunken grain makes the leather more dense feeling, the robustness easily equate to the next level in thickness or more. It comes down to how much time you want to spend on not breaking it in, thinner overall will speed up the break in time exponentially. But thicker hides has those awesome sleeve rolls that thinner hides just can't compare. Eventually everything breaks in, it's a matter of time and our perception of how long or short they are. The good thing is that JL patterns are made for wearing so thin or thick they will both work but different looks and the obvious different breaking in time and effort. I really think the Horween Montana Bison should hit the spot just right in the 3.25oz weight, I just need to find myself a roll of those in green or navy...

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here

The shrunken horse was all skived except the panels used for Canuck's sleeves, I believe. And yet despite being thinner to the touch you certainly feel its 'presence' in wearing, down to the density Canuck is talking about.

X83

One of the Regulars
I would agree with him that waxed shrunken hides are best when they are lighter weight/thickness.

My shrunken bison was brought down to 3.25oz (whole panel not just seams). And at this thickness, it still feel very similar to CXL FQHH. For these wax stuffed pull up hides with shrunken grain, if you want to use them as daily jackets, it's best to go even lighter, 2.25oz.

2.25oz CXL FQHH out of the box, 3.25oz CXL FQHH over hundreds of days of wear, 3.25oz wax shrunken bison only rolling and no outside time yet, left to right, respectively, same cutting jacket, different drapes, look at sleeve and under armpits,
View attachment 622235

While I generally advocate for thicker is better, there is the exception when it comes to wax stuffed and shrunken grain. Wax stuffing and shrunken grain makes the leather more dense feeling, the robustness easily equate to the next level in thickness or more. It comes down to how much time you want to spend on not breaking it in, thinner overall will speed up the break in time exponentially. But thicker hides has those awesome sleeve rolls that thinner hides just can't compare. Eventually everything breaks in, it's a matter of time and our perception of how long or short they are. The good thing is that JL patterns are made for wearing so thin or thick they will both work but different looks and the obvious different breaking in time and effort. I really think the Horween Montana Bison should hit the spot just right in the 3.25oz weight, I just need to find myself a roll of those in green or navy...
B4 Damon shipped my jacket he said man this thing is going to be brutal my response was bring it on brother in the back of my mind I’m thinking I have lots of jackets I need to break in then my thoughts drift to what else should I have made

tuanhng614

Familiar Face
B4 Damon shipped my jacket he said man this thing is going to be brutal my response was bring it on brother in the back of my mind I’m thinking I have lots of jackets I need to break in then my thoughts drift to what else should I have made

I have to put on damage-control mode when browsing this forum lolz. There’s always that “new idea” for a new jacket everywhere I look.

X83

One of the Regulars
I have to put on damage-control mode when browsing this forum lolz. There’s always that “new idea” for a new jacket everywhere I look.
Exactly and in my mind I justify it by saying well it takes about three months or for finish product so I better get started now

tuanhng614

Familiar Face
Well this break in should be fun times you can feel how substantial it is for sure yet it’s does not feel overwhelming hard to explain
I’m curious on how your wrist handle the shark skin piece haha. I hope it doesn’t push back too much.

What’s the weight on the leather? You said that JL skived the panel already right?

X83

One of the Regulars
I’m curious on how your wrist handle the shark skin piece haha. I hope it doesn’t push back too much.

What’s the weight on the leather? You said that JL skived the panel already right? O they did not
No they did not on the ups info the package weight is stated at 10 pounds the box can’t be more then 2 pounds I would say so we are looking at an 8 pound jacket to my best guess and I know for fact of all the jackets I have it is indeed the heaviest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth