Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnnyphi Hat Club

Selentino

One of the Regulars
New hat arrived! Very Nice!
http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/...edoras/?action=view&current=C0000228947_2.jpg
I find myself rotating hats more often. Wore my Stylemaster to work yesterday, then went home to drop off my son and on the way out my custom from my local guy caught my eye so I switched to that. A few months ago I was talking to Art and said I don't understand how a person can switch hats two or three times a day. Foolish melol. I wore one hat to work but I'll wear the Adam home since I wore tan and brown clothes today.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Selentino said:
I find myself rotating hats more often. Wore my Stylemaster to work yesterday, then went home to drop off my son and on the way out my custom from my local guy caught my eye so I switched to that. A few months ago I was talking to Art and said I don't understand how a person can switch hats two or three times a day. Foolish melol. I wore one hat to work but I'll wear the Adam home since I wore tan and brown clothes today.

I've worn three different hats in one day before too...it happens.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Adam Premire - Pacesetter

Hello Gentlemen,

I received my second Johnniphi hat this week. As expected, the condition of the hat was mint with the original price tags and labels attached. I was hesitant to remove the labels since the hat seems to be such a nice collectors piece. but I decided that I wanted to wear this hat and not keep it locked away in a box.

I can't take better detail pics of the hat than were shown on the original auction, so you can refer to the AUCTION #102 thread for comparison. The pictures from the auction show exactly what the hat looks like close up. Here are two pics of the hat on my head:
Adam_Premire-2.jpg
Adam_Premire-1.jpg

When I first looked at the hat, I thought that the brim was a little small for the full teardrop bash in the crown. I was thinking about trying to re-do this hat into a porkpie. However, after seeing these pictures, I kind of like the 1950's vibe the hat has. It fits my square head much better than I had originally thought. What do you think? Should I leave the hat as-is or re-bash it into a porkpie?

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That felt is probably so soft that you can probably give it a try and see how it turns out with out any steam, just a hand crease to see how you like it.

You already have pics to compare it to right? If you don't like the Pork Pie bash, then just steam it out and put another crease in it. [huh]

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Don't Do It...

Billy... Don't mess with the hat. This is a newer Adam, and it isn't as pliable as the older Adam hats or the Schobles or the Stetsons. If you're happy with the hat as it was produced, just wear it. Don't mess with it.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
johnnyphi said:
Billy... Don't mess with the hat. This is a newer Adam, and it isn't as pliable as the older Adam hats or the Schobles or the Stetsons. If you're happy with the hat as it was produced, just wear it. Don't mess with it.

I think your right. The hat looks great as is and I would hate to ruin it by messing about. I guess I'll have to add a porkpie to my Johnnyphi wish-list ;)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Adam "Button" Majestic

This Adam just arrived yesterday, and I did some re-bashing today. Man, I love this lid! The color is a light taupe. As with my other two Adams, the edge binding is a slightly different color than the crown ribbon -- the crown ribbon on this one is taupe, and the edge binding is a complementary shade of light brown. This Adam is "Majestic" quality, and it compares favorably to the two "Executive" quality lids that I have. The sweat is stitched directly to the hat, and the gold imprinting on the sweat has very fine lettering in that old gold color, which leads me to suspect that this lid may date to the early 40's. The factory price tag is $6. I have found a 1947 Adam ad pricing Adam Executive lids at $7.50 -- so, I don't know whether the Majestic quality was considered a notch below the Executive, or whether this particular lid is older, so the prices aren't directly comparable. Either way, it's a great lid with a very unique look...

AdamButton2.jpg

AdamButton3.jpg

AdamButton4.jpg

AdamButton.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
You should love it, Orgetorix -- it looks great on you. Well done!

Cheers,
JtL

I can't help but agree. That schoble looks great. Somehow these lids are landing on the right heads. It seems that every Johnnyphi lid has been custom made to fit the new owner.:eusa_clap

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Lee Adventure

Just received this lid yesterday. Dense, lightweight felt. Very nice. Although the color changes depending on the light, I would generally describe it as olive or khaki green, with a copper/brown ribbon. One surprising thing is that this has got to be the narrowest sweat that I think I have ever seen on any lid -- only 1 1/4" wide. I did a bit of a re-bash, including lowering the back of the brim -- too much curl, not enough adventure. ;) I like this one a lot...

ADV1.jpg

ADVSweat.jpg

Adventure1.jpg

I also found this 1952 ad:

AdventureAd.jpg

A few interesting points... In print too small too read here, the ad notes that it was "Photographed aboard Pan American's Clipper 'Undaunted.'" The Adventure is described as "light as air." Also featured are other Lee lids: the All-American, the Warren, and the Corral, all priced at $7.50. Apparently, all Lee hats were treated with DuPont "Aridex" to make them water repellent. The Adventure is a Blue Label quality, priced at $10. In another thread, Harp Player Gene posted a White Label Lee hat priced at $15. I'm not sure where Black Label quality fell in the Lee hierarchy.

Cheers,
JtL

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
That looks great JtL!:eusa_clap It is nice to see these lids on noodles. It really highlights what fantastic and special hats these are, and how lucky we are that they are finally on heads and not wasting away in boxes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe