Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Wayne's Akubra?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Some of the most enduring and identifiable westerns known to people in the United States are still the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns. So, as far as I'm concerned, these are westerns, no ifs ands or buts.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Some of the most enduring and identifiable westerns known to people in the United States are still the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns. So, as far as I'm concerned, these are westerns, no ifs ands or buts.

I agree 100%. Had ALL of the elements of a western and were quite realistic as far as settings and clothing etc. I think this was one thing that "bothered" alot of folks, that they portrayed the period as "dirty", not all clean and well defined as were the Hollywood stuff previous. My god, nobody shaved in these :)

Last edited:

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
I guess it all depends on what you mean by "western movie".
If it's a movie that's set in the Old American West, in a particular moment in history, then spaghetti westerns are westerns, full stop.
I also already pointed out that Leone was greatly more accurate in reconstructions than most people may think, save his "roman" boasting and "poetic" fantasies for the sake of action.

But it's also quite evident that Leone's heroes are different than Ford's ones, for example. Or the stories.

Anyway, who cares... I'd like an hat like that iconic John Wayne's one... if only a I could wear one in public in Italy!! :)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree 100%. Had ALL of the elements of a western and were quite realistic as far as settings and clothing etc. I think this was one thing that "bothered" alot of folks, that they portrayed the period as "dirty", not all clean and well defined as were the Hollywood stuff previous. My god, nobody shaved in these :)

Hi
I think that a lot of Selleck's Westerns have been more realistic than usual. "Monte Walsh" shows our hero riding into town and getting a shave, haircut and bath. It didn't seem to happen every day. I would note that his 5 o'clock shadow did seem to be appropriate for his time away from town also.

Clint Eastwood's later movies (Pale Rider, Unforgiven) also seem to be more accurately dirty. I know what I look and feel like after a Scout camp out, and after re-enacting for a weekend years ago.

Later

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hi
I think that a lot of Selleck's Westerns have been more realistic than usual. "Monte Walsh" shows our hero riding into town and getting a shave, haircut and bath. It didn't seem to happen every day. I would note that his 5 o'clock shadow did seem to be appropriate for his time away from town also.

Clint Eastwood's later movies (Pale Rider, Unforgiven) also seem to be more accurately dirty. I know what I look and feel like after a Scout camp out, and after re-enacting for a weekend years ago.

Later
Personally, I rank "Unforgiven" as one of the BEST westerns made, definately the best Eastwood did.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
The BEST "western" has to be Kurosawa's "Yojimbo" even if they did'nt wear hats or boots and used swords and didn't speak English. It was the architypal "western" :)

Will Penny with Charleston Heston was a good, realistic Western = cowboy life.
Tom Horn with Steve McQueen is my all time favorite.
The Cowboys with The Duke is a close second...
For authenticity, I like The Long Riders for post War Between the States weapons, clothing, hats & behavior.....

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
For authenticity, I like The Long Riders for post War Between the States weapons, clothing, hats & behavior.....

[video=youtube;rBBS_tC4eRE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBBS_tC4eRE[/video]

My favorite scene from The Cowboys (salty language in this clip!). Bruce Dern was good in that one as well.

...My favorite scene from The Cowboys (salty language in this clip!). Bruce Dern was good in that one as well.

The actor as the smallest Cowboy to go on the drive by taking the chalkboard off the books also did Cahill US Marshal with The Duke.
He had a choice to keep doing movies as a child actor or become a real cowboy. He became a champion roper & has 2 sons that are champions as well.

frussell

One Too Many
Tom - I gather you're talking about Clay O'Brien Cooper, whom I've seen rope many times. I liked your top choices for westerns, once again, we're on the same page. I was fortunate enough to get to know Richard Farnsworth a little, and talk to him about being one of the bad guys in The Cowboys and working with McQueen in Tom Horn, both favorites of mine, not long before he died. I ride once a year with a mostly western stuntman who was one of the fellows who rode through the glass windows and out the other side of the building in "The Long Riders." Fun to hear some of his stories, as he's been in over 70 movies, going back to the 70s. To keep this on a hat topic, I always tell people when they ask me about my "Gus" crease that it's actually a "Tom Horn." Frank

RBH

Bartender
The BEST "western" has to be Kurosawa's "Yojimbo" even if they did'nt wear hats or boots and used swords and didn't speak English. It was the architypal "western" :)

I think that one of the best 'modern' westerns is Last Man Standing.
It is also based on Akira Kurosawa's film Yojimbo. As is Eastwoods A Fistful of Dollars.
And LMS is chocked full of great fedoras!

frussell

One Too Many
If you guys are going Japanese, might as well list "Seven Samurai," later remade as "The Magnificent Seven." The samurai version is still in my top 10, and ranks much higher with me than the American version, even with Charles Bronson and James Coburn. The 1960s cowboy hats give me the willies, but that's just personal preference. Frank

Tom - I gather you're talking about Clay O'Brien Cooper, whom I've seen rope many times. I liked your top choices for westerns, once again, we're on the same page. I was fortunate enough to get to know Richard Farnsworth a little, and talk to him about being one of the bad guys in The Cowboys and working with McQueen in Tom Horn, both favorites of mine, not long before he died. I ride once a year with a mostly western stuntman who was one of the fellows who rode through the glass windows and out the other side of the building in "The Long Riders." Fun to hear some of his stories, as he's been in over 70 movies, going back to the 70s. To keep this on a hat topic, I always tell people when they ask me about my "Gus" crease that it's actually a "Tom Horn." Frank

Frank, we are brothers of the same spirit for sure...Farnsworth in The Grey Fox was awesome. As Dick Farnsworth as he was in The Cowboys was also in Monte Walsh as well as The High Chapperal, Wanted Dead or Alive & as I have recently found out, Red River. There is a scene in The Long Riders where a blonde girl dances a jig & they wanted a red head. A couple of the extras knew my sister & tried to get in contact with her to do the part but it fell thru....

frussell

One Too Many
I sure wish Netflix would get The Grey Fox. What an understated, great movie. Crime caper, love story, western, all rolled into one. Farnsworth was the only thing I liked about "Comes a Horseman." I like James Caan, but buying him as a cowboy was pretty hard. He was also good in the few minutes he was onscreen in "The Natural," especially with Wilford Brimley. Frank

Sam Craig

One Too Many
The Gray Fox is a terrific movie and it was a-typical for a Western.

Leo Farnsworth was a great character actor, but he proved in that movie that he could carry the film. His life story is so sad. I would be great to have a few more parts.

He added a lot to other stars' movies ... such as his part in Misery and Tom Horn.
A movie was always better for him being in it.

Sam

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I think I sold the perfect hat to use for this conversion to not-bogart13. It was an old no. 1 quality stetson and had very thin felt.

Long Riders was great. I love the dialogue, and the relationship between Cole Younger and Belle Starr.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

My favorite line in the movie:

Belle Starr: Coleman Younger! Seems like you folks are havin' a real nice party in there.
Cole Younger: I expect so, with free food and drink and all.
Belle Starr: How come I wasn't invited?
Cole Younger: 'Cause you're a whore, Belle.
Belle Starr: I might be; but at least I ain't a cheap one.

Thank you Internet Movie Database.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads