Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I soak my jeans in cold water, and only agitate enough to mix the detergent. I let them sit for a couple of hours then skip straight to rinse. This has kept my jeans the same color for years.

SGB

One of the Regulars
I'm not bothered with being correct or cool with the care of jeans, I need them to be wearable and comfortable. Once they start looking worn and too faded they go into the work jeans pile. I don't care for the creased vintage look, so why did I buy a pair of vintage jeans? Sucker. Looking for a good fit, no matter the cost. These 1947's are going into the washer (cold) and then the dryer until they fit and aren't stiff and uncomfortable. Then I'll wear the stink out of them, and wash them after 3 or 4 wearings, can't stand dirty jeans. Otherwise it's just regular Lees and Wranglers, which are best with cowboy boots.

SGB

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Bro , they're your jeans I was just trying to give a little friendly advice. When you spend the kind of money that you do when you buy LVCs; well, you know. Good luck with'm...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'm learning a lot.

Those look great - I bet they'd be perfect with an A2, eh Airfrog?

The local western store has some of the Wranglers shown on the first page of this thread. Those may be the next buy. I love my single pair of 501's (from the 80's), but good gravy, they're $45 a pair around here. It's just hard for me to spend a lot on blue jeans.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
some of my LVC and Lee repro I treat with froggie style kid gloves, others I wash and wear the same as any jeans. I certainly wouldn't be scared of the latter just because of the price, because these are much more hard wearing than ordinary jeans. Think of it as buying two pairs of ordinary jeans. In the UK a pair of LVC is about twice the price of ordinary 501s but I get much more than twice the wear out of them.

I've had my main "workhorse" pair of 1955 LVCs for around 8 years and they're still going strong. Funnily the weakest spot seems to be the cuff where signs of wear appeared quite early on (still not torn through though) whilst the knees (weakest spot in ordinary jeans) are pretty intact....they've turned white but not gone through yet.

SGB

One of the Regulars
airfrogusmc said:
Bro , they're your jeans I was just trying to give a little friendly advice. When you spend the kind of money that you do when you buy LVCs; well, you know. Good luck with'm...

It's not the price, it's the fit. Lousy fit and they get dumped on ebay. And for me, comfort is more important than fashion. Current 501's have too big of pockets and baggy butts since they changed the cut, so I'm hoping these will fit better, more like earlier 501's.

SGB

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Is there a domestic company that sells any of these. I don't mind paying for a pair of buckle backs but the shipping is outragis. How about you SGB, anywhere in AZ to get em?

SGB

One of the Regulars
Nick Charles said:
Is there a domestic company that sells any of these. I don't mind paying for a pair of buckle backs but the shipping is outragis. How about you SGB, anywhere in AZ to get em?

Sorry Nick, nowhere in AZ I'm aware of, of course there's not much of anything available in AZ but stinkin' hot weather (although right now we aren't alone). Got mine from Aero and had to pay tons for shipping, ugh. Another reason it's nuts to buy these.

SGB

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
SGB said:
The most uncomfortable first few weeks of school, stiff baggy pants, that made a noise when you walked.....ugh.

SGB

Stiff baggy jeans are my favorite! Ben Davis used to sell a line called "Genuine Frisco" that were high waisted, wide-legged and made of hard denim in blue, black, grey and brown. I think you can still get these in Siegels in San Francisco.

pablocham

One of the Regulars
The Wrangler 47s were, as of this past spring, a Fashion line done by Built By Wendy, a New York Designer. Now that BBW no longer does them, I don't know what their plans are for the line, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. I have seen some of the more recent Wrangler 47 clothes for women at Steven Alan in New York, and it is exactly what you would expect: really expensive designer Jeans that have nothing to do with the old Wranglers.

But, it isn't too hard to get the Blue Bells. I purchased a pair of the 11mw from oipolloi and they also have the 13mwz repro in limited sizes: http://www.oipolloi.com/oipolloi/shop/brand.php?brandno=42

After adding shipping and subtracting VAT the price to the states usually ends up being just a few dollars more than the posted price.

Vintage Denim has them too: http://www.vintagedenim.de/index.html?info.htm

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
If folks are impressed with the US made Levis Vintage range and never sampled the earlier, Japanese made repros- then you're really missing out.

My US made '47 501s have rotted out and fallen to bits withing a year of wear.
My 10 yr old, Japanese-made, '20s, 702 model are still fantastic.

Edwins are still the best value and best denim. A well kept secret- and fine if you don't need a repro. My current Edwins are pretty worn out but that's due to weekly wear over the last 7 yrs- they're great jeans.

Rest assured- all of them are so much better than Mall Levis-

B
T

jake431

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
If folks are impressed with the US made Levis Vintage range and never sampled the earlier, Japanese made repros- then you're really missing out.

My US made '47 501s have rotted out and fallen to bits withing a year of wear.
My 10 yr old, Japanese-made, '20s, 702 model are still fantastic.

Edwins are still the best value and best denim. A well kept secret- and fine if you don't need a repro. My current Edwins are pretty worn out but that's due to weekly wear over the last 7 yrs- they're great jeans.

Rest assured- all of them are so much better than Mall Levis-

B
T

I'd love a pair of delicious, selvedge-y Edwins; but they're impossible (seemingly so) to get in the US of A. Boo!

-Jake

Etienne

A-List Customer
I have never posted a picture before, so this may not work out[huh] . BUT, in the event that it does...This is a picture of my Dad, taken on the 23rd of December, 1942. He wanted a pair of jeans SO badly for Christmas and the family (those are some of his cousins with him) went to Bert's Toggery in Culver City that morning and got them for him, giving them to him for an early Christmas gift. You see, he had gotten his orders and was leaving for active duty on Christmas Eve and they wanted to make sure he got his jeans before he left! My Dad was 6' 4" and quite slender. According to his cousin (the gal in the shorts) they had a devil of a time trying to find a pair to fit him! That MIGHT explain why they are turned up so high,
th_gpa-jeans.gif
maybe they were too short? At any rate, she told me that he was the happiest young man on earth, sporting those threads! I think he looked VERY dashing and handsome in them!

Etienne

A-List Customer
Grrrrr. I am SO dumb about computers. I will try the pix again. Sorry if it doesn't work. It really IS a cool picture!
th-gpa-jeans.gif
What does this mean and why won't it open???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld