Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Was stinky af but do what you gotta do (Vintage Leather Jacket)

thatdrewman

New in Town
Firstly, I have to thank everyone who offered their advice regarding cleaning and conditioning leather jackets in Fedora Lounge because soaking a leather jacket purposely in water would be the last thing I ever thought of doing. I followed every tip that the leather jacket experts here had vouched for and agreed on.

Background of the jacket:

Honestly, I have no idea. The seller claimed it was a 1930s to 1940s German leather jacket he purchased in France. There are no brand tags whatsoever. The only information remains is the size tag and the button. It seemed like something was cut off from the size tag.
IMG_1873.JPG

IMG_1876.JPG

IMG_1877.JPG

IMG_8138.jpg
IMG_8141.jpg

I cannot stand the mouldy smell and I usually wear a tee inside the leather jacket, just the idea of having the mould directly contact my skin makes me feel uneasy already. I just had to take the plunge.

I soaked the jacket with a tub of warm water with Lexol Leather Cleaner.
IMG_5972.jpg

This was the first wash, I saw hair, dust, gunk and even dead mosquitoes floating in brown muddy water. I did not handwash it like rubbing the leather against each other as I wanted to minimize the damage to the jacket, I gently squeezed and swirled the jacket in the water.

IMG_5979.jpg

I repeated the process 5 times until the water was clear of brown residues. However, the mouldy smell still lingered. Therefore, I added a considerable amount of white vinegar, hoping it would do the magic. 2 more washes with white vinegar, the mouldy smell was 90% gone and I was satisfied with the results.

In total, I did 7 washes (5 with water and lexol leather cleaner, 2 with water and vinegar), and inevitably lost some of the dye/pigment of the jacket.

IMG_5989.jpg

Then I laid it flat on a big bed cover to absorb the moisture with ventilation for 3-4 days. When it became relatively dry, I let the jacket chill in the backyard under the shade to dry completely for 2-3 days.

IMG_6017.jpg

To be continued in the comment session due to photo limitations.

Last edited:

TLW '90

Practically Family
So now the mildew smell is gone, but does it smell like vinegar now ?

Vinegar is one of the many smells that is guaranteed to make me throw up 100% of the time.

Btw this is a cool jacket that's definitely worth the effort.

thatdrewman

New in Town
So now the mildew smell is gone, but does it smell like vinegar now ?

Vinegar is one of the many smells that is guaranteed to make me throw up 100% of the time.

Btw this is a cool jacket that's definitely worth the effort.
Thanks bro! The jacket smells clean and fresh now, all these processed were actually done a few months ago, I just have time to post and share now.

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
My experiences with washing leather jackets is similar. No harm done; smells and funk removed. I’m glad yours worked out well. Cheers!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic work there!! Really came through the washes well, and you really did it right by spacing those out, and by using some good products, time and motion with your washes.

I really like that's it's a deep green - very unique and quite the unique jacket.

For any future washes or re-hydrating a rather dry jacket, you may consider Urad Tenderly or Horseman's One-Step as an initial highly hydrating conditioner step. I would do it prior to the Pecards. I have much more ready access to the One-Step so that is my go-to.

https://www.doversaddlery.com/horsemans-one-step-cream-15-oz/p/X1-3126/

Bennarion

One Too Many
This is how it exactly looked like after being completely dry, I didn't take a lot of photos for record, I couldn't wait to apply Pecards on it.

View attachment 642363
View attachment 642364

View attachment 642365

After applying a thin coat of Pecard:

View attachment 642366
View attachment 642367
View attachment 642368
View attachment 642369

The colour of the jacket deepened quite a bit on the patina but became lighter again after it was dry.
The jacket still has a lot of life and I can tell the previous REAL owner(s) had treated it really well. Why?
At least there is no damage, hole or tear on the jacket lining. The leather is still very buttery even after going through 7 washes, it's a tough guy!
If you have a stinky leather jacket that you want to wear, don't hesitate, just wash it!
You did it professionally. Excellent result. Cool jacket

That's exactly how you wash a leather jacket! Great job.

The jacket itself is from 1980's and is of an European production but the style is indeed based on a much earlier German styles. Usually very tough, sturdy, heavy cowhide jackets that thrive on heavy use.

Even if you aren't aware of the small design intricacies that differentiate the earlier versions from these, the machine-made size tag such as this one, is always a sure indication of a more recent production. Originals would have a hand-written information label, alongside a very elaborate brand tag.

thatdrewman

New in Town
That's exactly how you wash a leather jacket! Great job.

The jacket itself is from 1980's and is of an European production but the style is indeed based on a much earlier German styles. Usually very tough, sturdy, heavy cowhide jackets that thrive on heavy use.

Even if you aren't aware of the small design intricacies that differentiate the earlier versions from these, the machine-made size tag such as this one, is always a sure indication of a more recent production. Originals would have a hand-written information label, alongside a very elaborate brand tag.
Thank you!

Could you please provide more information on the jacket if possible?
I am assuming if it’s 80s then there should be quite a lot of information on the internet but so far I have seen none.
I tried searching with Google image and posted on some Facebook groups but no luck :/

The seller of the jacket specializes in selling 1900s to 1940s European Vintage and he affirms that it’s from 1940s.

thatdrewman

New in Town
Fantastic work there!! Really came through the washes well, and you really did it right by spacing those out, and by using some good products, time and motion with your washes.

I really like that's it's a deep green - very unique and quite the unique jacket.

For any future washes or re-hydrating a rather dry jacket, you may consider Urad Tenderly or Horseman's One-Step as an initial highly hydrating conditioner step. I would do it prior to the Pecards. I have much more ready access to the One-Step so that is my go-to.

https://www.doversaddlery.com/horsemans-one-step-cream-15-oz/p/X1-3126/
Thanks so much! Noted!

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Kane-M snap fasteners are from a Japanese company and are popular in Asia. The company itself is old (100 years), but it is extemely unlikely that a 1940s European maker would source Asian snaps. More likely a contemporary jacket made in India or Pakistan.

Thank you!

Could you please provide more information on the jacket if possible?
I am assuming if it’s 80s then there should be quite a lot of information on the internet but so far I have seen none.
I tried searching with Google image and posted on some Facebook groups but no luck :/

The seller of the jacket specializes in selling 1900s to 1940s European Vintage and he affirms that it’s from 1940s.

There's not much more that I can add to what I already hadn't said.

Your jacket is based on a pre-war lancer-front style car-coat that would get (shortened) to a jacket length. While generally always present in one form or another, the 1980's and 1990's saw a revival of this style of jacket - Well, a lot of leather jacket styles saw a come-back at the time - and since the production had gotten more simpler than ever, a lot of them got made.
This is mostly the reason why you shouldn't expect to find any information about these online as 80's leather jackets aren't very popular at all, being perceived as forerunners of the decline of leather garments quality. Another factor is that there's barely any info about vintage European leather jackets in general.

Anyhow, while appearing generally similar, the originals are actually quite different but even at just a superficial examination, the size tag is a tell-tale sign that your jacket isn't a vintage piece as, needless to point out, they didn't have automatic label printing machines back then.

Again, 1940's original would have a hand-written label, usually stitched to a pocket lining, that contains a very detailed information about your jacket, often with the date and name of the person who made it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust