Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is there such a thing as applying too much conditioner and making your leather too soft?

javajakamama

Familiar Face
does this scenario exist?

or does the majority of the softness scale come already dictated from the type, cut or thickness.

bigmanbigtruck

A-List Customer
No such thing. In fact, an additional benefit of overconditioning is that you can turn back the clock

EDIT: @Johnny Deadlifts I tried to quote your post from the other thread, but it wouldn't let me :)

Attachments

• 1723501064497.png
    1723501064497.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 26
  • 1723501095637.png
    1723501095637.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

javajakamama

Familiar Face
No such thing. In fact, an additional benefit of overconditioning is that you can turn back the clock

EDIT: @Johnny Deadlifts I tried to quote your post from the other thread, but it wouldn't let me :)

you should check out this movie called primer. it came out in 2004. low budget and very entertaining.

pm me if you don't know where to find and watch the movie

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, over conditioning can permanently damage the leather.

A friend of mine had a nice English saddle that he conditioned every time he used it, which was a lot.

After about 6 months the saddle had lost its stiffness and was soft and spongy. By that time it was too late. He ended up selling it and buying another one that he left alone.

He would clean it, but only used conditioner on it about once a year or less. That was over 30 years ago, and he still has the saddle.

javajakamama

Familiar Face

Yes. Overconditioning can damage the leather.

bigmanbigtruck said:

Peacoat said:
Yes, over conditioning can permanently damage the leather.

A friend of mine had a nice English saddle that he conditioned every time he used it, which was a lot.

After about 6 months the saddle had lost its stiffness and was soft and spongy. By that time it was too late. He ended up selling it and buying another one that he left alone.

He would clean it, but only used conditioner on it about once a year or less. That was over 30 years ago, and he still has the saddle.

tumblr_mj2aklX4ku1s4g8j5o1_250.gif

cbez

One Too Many
I use only bick4. I am sure you could leave a jacket submerged in it for a year and it would be fine. But most jackets, especially new, hardly need any conditioning.

javajakamama

Familiar Face
I use only bick4. I am sure you could leave a jacket submerged in it for a year and it would be fine. But most jackets, especially new, hardly need any conditioning.

i landed on obenauf.

i slopped it on, rubbed it in and rubbed it off.

a few hours later the shine is gone the squeaks are back and there's only a minor change in softness.......meh

used the residual rag on the elbow/pit area a couple hours later while on and the squeaks went aloha again. but it's temporary,. it came back.

round 2 tomorrow. i won't be gentle. but i don't want a liner with oil spots i'm not expecting much more but ya never know. wood floors look better after each coat.

at least it doesn't smell like saddle soap anymore. the previous owner had to use quite a bit on it.

cbez

One Too Many
I don't like overly oily/waxy conditioners like obenaufs unless you're prepping your work boots for snow and wildfires.

for a casually worn jacket it's overkill and probably more harm than good.

Trouser Bark

Familiar Face
Over conditioning boot shafts as on cowboy boots or engineer boots will turn the shaft floppy such that they'll look like they belong to one of the Three Musketeers. Never tried excessively conditioning a jacket.

mumpy

A-List Customer
you should check out this movie called primer. it came out in 2004. low budget and very entertaining.

pm me if you don't know where to find and watch the movie
primer is amazing, I watched it around 2005-2006, great movie

zebedee

One Too Many
Lightly condition new Aeros, SBs, Vansons, Thedis, etc. once a year (maximum) things like Pecard, Renapur or Obenauf's for casual wear.

I wore an Aero in torrential rain, wind, etc., for several hours each day over several days and no harm came to it. I've owned a Highwayman for 15 (or a bit more) years and conditioned it about five times - and even that was probably unnecessary. The leather still looks like the last photo (as of last year). I'll drink to infrequent conditioning :) . This jacket has been in almost every type of weather, and the Aeros I own have generally been worn mercilessly - never had a problem with any of them cracking, etc.

804FAEB4-3546-4355-B513-FC37C6DC5DA6.jpeg 5E09FD5B-D173-4F29-B4F9-92106B8277BA.jpeg E9F8FC8E-8873-4875-B125-645747F7AB64.jpeg AE3623A8-7AC8-4E02-8CF7-3F86A519DB93.jpeg
E317EF0E-CB16-4DC0-97D2-37161987ADC4.jpeg

Last edited:

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Once a year on Model B -CW with Picard's do me fine…Some leathers need it some don’t !!

javajakamama

Familiar Face
A friend of mine had a nice English saddle Vanson Leather Jacket that he conditioned every time he used it as needed, which was a lot.

After about 6 months the saddle Vanson had lost its stiffness and was soft and spongy. By that time it was too late. He ended up selling it and buying another one that he left alone Which is and was the main objective in the first place. My friends all followed suit and we're very happy in our buttery soft coats.

Last edited:

javajakamama

Familiar Face
when you put lotion on your skin do you only do it once a year for fear of ruining your complexion or do you do it "as needed"

as for leather conditioning wars. imo they're all the same in the regards that they've been tested on leather regardless of recipe. all work to a certain degree and none really specialize in one thing more than the other. well they might, but if they say that it would reduce sales. you could spend days researching that snake oil and you'll never get the answer or info you're looking for. you will however find passionate opinions that might put you over the top in preferring one over another though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1