Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Shearling That Much Warmer Than The Equivalent Thickness Fleece?

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Were I to buy one more motorcycle jacket it would be for when it's really cold (which to me is anything in the 50's). I tend to be a weather wimp and don't like feeling uncomfortable, but I'm not exactly ready for an electric vest either. I'm sort of fascinated by a fleece lined Highwayman, but I'm wondering if a tight jacket with shearling is warmer than another one with regular lining and a warm fleece or similar added layer underneath. Or another example: if you had two jackets, one with shearling and room for one extra layer of fleece and another where you had two fleece layers, would one be better or worse? Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited:

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Sherling is very very warm, uncomfortably warm, I shed my sheerling gear while shoveling in 10 degree weather because I overheat. As long as the shell is wind proof it would be more than adequate at 50 degrees on a bike, but so would a nice fleece.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Were I to buy one more motorcycle jacket it would be for when it's really cold (which to me is anything in the 50's). I tend to be a weather wimp and don't like feeling uncomfortable, but I'm not exactly ready for an electric vest either. I'm sort of fascinated by a fleece lined Highwayman, but I'm wondering if a tight jacket with shearling is warmer than another one with regular lining and a warm fleece or similar added layer underneath. Or another example: if you had two jackets, one with shearling and room for one extra layer of fleece and another where you had two fleece layers, would one be better or worse? Inquiring minds want to know.

The advantage of fleece is that it's not a bulky as shearling and it doesn't retain water,dries quickly disadvantages would be that it's not wind proof and it's very flameable and it's made out of recycled plastics, for riding I would think the less bulk you have on a bike the better,supposedly wool is warmer and it will keep you warm even when wet...Only from what I've read and only my opinion

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Rather than getting a shearling MC jacket, why not get a shearling vest and use with one of your jackets that have room to layer underneath?

I'm not so familiar with shearling vests. Are they warmer than fleece? In any case, I looked them up on the internet and they seem too bulky to fit under a jacket.

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have not been involved in riding a Motorcycle for some time now, but when I was on the two wheel form of riding I resided in Southern California, lived in Diamond Bar area and would ride year round. I found for myself a good thick leather jacket with the option of wearing layers under it was the best route to go. I did not own a leather that by itself had a wool, fur, or any other thick lining to it. If it was really cold like the winter months are, I would simply wear a wool turtle neck sweater over a long sleeve shirt then of course, wear the jacket. Good gloves that do not allow wind going up your jacket sleeves will also add to the keeping warm part of riding. Long underwear under your pants can also benefit the cold time rider. If wet weather is likely, of course having some rain wear to toss on over all of that is something to aide as well.

Not one to knock your desire to purchase something like fleece or shearling but unless you are going to be riding in an area where temps are going to drop near the below freezing range, I do not think the expense would justify the purchase of a jacket for wearing in California weather. Just my honest take on it, with respect!

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I have not been involved in riding a Motorcycle for some time now, but when I was on the two wheel form of riding I resided in Southern California, lived in Diamond Bar area and would ride year round. I found for myself a good thick leather jacket with the option of wearing layers under it was the best route to go. I did not own a leather that by itself had a wool, fur, or any other thick lining to it. If it was really cold like the winter months are, I would simply wear a wool turtle neck sweater over a long sleeve shirt then of course, wear the jacket. Good gloves that do not allow wind going up your jacket sleeves will also add to the keeping warm part of riding. Long underwear under your pants can also benefit the cold time rider. If wet weather is likely, of course having some rain wear to toss on over all of that is something to aide as well.

Not one to knock your desire to purchase something like fleece or shearling but unless you are going to be riding in an area where temps are going to drop near the below freezing range, I do not think the expense would justify the purchase of a jacket for wearing in California weather. Just my honest take on it, with respect!

I do think that near the beach is often foggier and cooler than more inland where you were and, in any case, I know when I go out and it's in the 50's, I'm freezing. Meanwhile I have been researching the idea of shearling vests and some don't seem so bulky and I could really see where they could be warmer, if heavier, than fleece.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
True, I did not do much riding on the PCH, but once or twice I would head up Azusa Canyon when it would have some snow on the San Gabe mountains in the winter time. I guess if you want to buy one or the other jacket with either fleece or sherling, I would go with what is natural as far as material is involved. The sherling may be more money but the long term quality would in my opinion would give the jacket more value and resale would be better if later you decided to sell it.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Shearling is crazy warm.

I would wear my B6 in 10 degree F weather and be warm.

I could see you start riding in the morning being comfortable, but as the sun starts burning off the fog the jacket becoming too warm.

Tkecks

Familiar Face
Artificial "fleece" is composed of plastic fibres; these are solid. Shearling is natural hair, which are hollow fibres.

Heat is retained by insulating the body with layers of air, which is a poor conductor of heat. Hence, as hollow fibres, wool has air pockets both between the hairs and within them, giving greater insulation per surface area. For the same reason, hollow wool fibres will also insulate when wet. So... shearling is a much better insulator than artificial fleece; if you're looking at 50F temperatures, it might be a bit too much, unless you're really skinny with bad circulation.

Plastic fleeces also age badly, as the edges of the plastic fibres get micro-frayed producing a fuzzy, or "pilled" look. Natural hair is just keratin, so it wears away, making the fibres shorter (and eventually lost), but other than length the appearance is not much different.

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
I have a B-3 that is much too warm for me during much of our winter, dammit! Shearling is warm stuff, even when not shoveling snow.
What I recently purchased is a Patagonia brand "Nano Puff" jacket. This thing is quite thin and will compress to almost nothing, and is filled with PrimaLoft, a very good insulation. This jacket can be used even with my more tight-fitting leather jackets and keeps me warm down into the 30's F. Also, it has sleeves, which adds to the warmth factor, and they will easily slide into skinny outer-jacket sleeves.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Shearling is crazy warm.

I would wear my B6 in 10 degree F weather and be warm.

I could see you start riding in the morning being comfortable, but as the sun starts burning off the fog the jacket becoming too warm.

Actually I'm usually capable of slightly greater foresight that that. I envisioned a "niche" jacket that I would put on when it was already damn cold (for me, which is the only gauge that matters) and wear on a ride when it's not expected to get warmer, which can happen. I figured that, as an added bonus, I'd have a nice, very warm jacket (with zip sleeves :cool:) for other eventualities.

Last edited:

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I have a B-3 that is much too warm for me during much of our winter, dammit! Shearling is warm stuff, even when not shoveling snow.
What I recently purchased is a Patagonia brand "Nano Puff" jacket. This thing is quite thin and will compress to almost nothing, and is filled with PrimaLoft, a very good insulation. This jacket can be used even with my more tight-fitting leather jackets and keeps me warm down into the 30's F. Also, it has sleeves, which adds to the warmth factor, and they will easily slide into skinny outer-jacket sleeves.

Thanks old friend. If that works under a really tight jacket, it solves my problem, (killjoy ;) ). Of course, a lot of times other people are warm and I'm cold, so we'll see if it works the same for me. I'm also a big fan of Patagonia, in general.

Last edited:

winterland1

Practically Family
I like a merino wool hoodie under leather jackets. Icebreaker and Triple Aught Design make great ones. I also say go for the shearling if you really want to be warm. Of course it will have some bulk to it.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
If you are having that much trouble with the cold, then any leather jacket, A2, motorcycle or the like, with a heated liner jacket is the only way to go. Took me over 40 years to figure that out, but now I am good to bellow 0 riding! Plus, you can turn it down, or off, if it gets warm. They are really thin, so almost any jacket will go over them, and, it wont ruin the look of the jacket since it is not attached.

IXL

One Too Many
If the heated gear is of the "plug-in" variety, one should be aware that not all PTW's generate enough watts to power the gear. Most Vespa scooters lack sufficient output, as does the BMW G650GS motorcycle, for example. But for those riding a big 'ol Harley, life is good in the heated department!

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Plastic fleeces also age badly, as the edges of the plastic fibres get micro-frayed producing a fuzzy, or "pilled" look. Natural hair is just keratin, so it wears away, making the fibres shorter (and eventually lost), but other than length the appearance is not much different.

I have found that plastic fleece (is it also called sherpa?) wears away or significantly compresses over time, at least in two pairs of slippers I have had.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
I just broke out my shearling jacket last weekend (I'm a non-biker), but ended up hanging it back up. Apparently 30 F weather isn't cold enough!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82