Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it worth it trying to get the sleeves hemmed on this velvet shirt?

Lorinz

Familiar Face
I bought a really nice leopard print velvet shirt recently, and I love how it looks and fits. However, the sleeves seem rather long:
paMNGqh.jpeg

You can see how far it goes down my hand that's hanging down. Does anyone know if it would be feasible to have the sleeves hemmed a couple inches? I wasn't sure because it's made of velvet and it's leopard print, do you think trying to get it hemmed could end up ruining it due to the pattern as well as it being a velvet garment? Or is it fine as is and better to leave it alone and not try to get it hemmed? Any input appreciated, thanks.

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
If this is piece you like and want to wear them having it tailored would be a good investment.
Issue I see is with the functioning cuffs. Some tailors may not be able to adjust it. It would be worth the time to get it looked at.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Can you reduce shirt sleeve length? You might simply roll or cuff the sleeves to your desired length. Alternatively, for a more permanent solution, you can take the shirt to a tailor who can have the sleeves shortened from the shoulder or cuff, ensuring a proper fit that complements your proportions.

You obviously like your shirt and want to avoid permanent damage, very sensible. An alternative to shortening the sleeves is buy yourself a pair of arm bands, they are known as sleeve garters.

garters.jpg

Lorinz

Familiar Face
Thanks for the responses so far. I'm curious, going by the photo, what do you think of the length and look overall? Does it look fine as is? Or would you say it really does need the sleeves hemmed?

Also, the shirt is actually velveteen, not velvet, does that matter? Wasn't sure if that would make it harder for tailors to work with.

Last edited:

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I have several shirts with sleeves like this (Iron Heart … don’t get me started). I love the shirts. I’ve been thinking of having them tailored as well, but I really like to keep my things as is from the factory … so far I’ve been cuffing them up one turn or half a turn.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton