Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochine Borsalino

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's the Borsalino I just received. It made it here from France in excellent time.

It's too small for me, but as an historical artifact it really shouldn't be worn anyway. It has moth divots but no holes. Here are some pictures for those who want to take a stab at determining when it was made. The seller mentioned 1920s, but I'm not sure. It's obviously pre-1954 and Dien Bien Phu, anyhow.

Have a look!

I'll grab some more pics upon request, but I really don't want to flex that sweatband any more. I was holding my breath when I took that one picture.

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
Tony, that is an amazing acquisition--how in the world did you come across it? Really a collector's dream. Also, what are the two silver ovals in the sweatband, to the right of the dealer's logo? They look as if they could be initials, maybe CF, but not sure.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Wow Tony, that's a great find!:eusa_clap
Is the C & F little metal tabs inserted into the leather? Very interesting that they did that instead of punching the letters in the leather. Congratulations!:eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

Tony in Tarzana

Yes, little metal tabs, judging by the lack of corrosion, I'd say they're probably made of tin. The brim is an overwelt design with a bit of a pencil roll. It does not want to "snap" down. I've seen brims like that in pictures from around the turn of the 20th century up to the 1920s.

Tony in Tarzana

I can't wear this one, but does anyone think it'd be a good idea to send it off to one of our hatters for cleaning and reblocking? Or is it more interesting as an historical artifact they way it is?

feltfan

Tony in Tarzana said:
I can't wear this one, but does anyone think it'd be a good idea to send it off to one of our hatters for cleaning and reblocking? Or is it more interesting as an historical artifact they way it is?

I'd say it's more interesting as it is. Mind you, I'd massage
it till I found the original block. It'll remember...

But why keep a "historical artifact", as we have discussed elsewhere?
If you're going to contribute it to a museum, it probably should
be cleaned so it won't deteriorate due to skin oil. But just try to
find a museum that'll take it.

Personally, I would try to find someone who can wear it.

Then again, maybe some of us should be looking at starting
a museum of men's hats from the first half of the 20th Century.
I'd certainly contribute some hats.

Tony in Tarzana

I'm afraid the leather sweatband would deteriorate rapidly if it was worn. I'm noticing that on hats that are far newer.

My motivation for buying it and keeping it is that I enjoy holding a piece of history in my hands. Pictures in books and displays behind glass don't compare.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I'd keep it the way it is, Tony. Nice hat!

Is that a Cavanagh Edge I see? The brim has some curl to it, so I can't quite tell, but it looks like it.

I'd think the seller wasn't too far off when he said 1920s.

Brad

Tony in Tarzana

It's an overwelt, very finely stitched. Yep, it really looks 1920s. What I also found interesting was that the hat shop's name was in the lining as well as in the sweatband. I've never seen that before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally