Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideas Thread for where the Large FL Yearly GTG should be.

Route 66 versus the Lincoln Highway

There are no perfect places, everyplace has some type of detraction.

Back to the point at hand: suggestions as to places to hold Fedora lounge events.

I thought that it might be nice to have a "Route 66 Ride" sometime and for those further north could consider a "Ride the Lincoln Highway" event.

While many may have heard more about Route 66, the Lincoln Highway has a lot of positives and does actually go from coast to coast.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Some guy on a travel site says it better than I ever could: "If you like your clothes clean and dry, forget it. If you put on a clean shirt, it's all sweaty a few minutes later because of the humidity, which usually hangs right around 98%... Remember that 100% means it's raining because the air can't hold anymore moisture. "
He must be referring to the Summer season. There is little need for A/C in the Winter.

You do know that Americans have been Wintering in Florida for over a century?

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
He also delivers a missive about the people there
:rolleyes:

Seriously, if you listen to that stuff you'll never travel anywhere.

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I'd rather have it almost anywhere else!

lol

BTW, a good portion of this globe, and some of its most interesting places, have climates with high humidity. (Actually, the dew point is a much more accurate indicator of air moisture-comfort level).

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tomasso said:
BTW, a good portion of this globe, and some of its most interesting places, have climates with high humidity. (Actually, the dew point is a much more accurate indicator of air moisture-comfort level).

O rly? Thanks for telling me about the globe. I've never been anywhere, I'm just a girl. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I for one do love the Everglades. However, I don't wish to wear vintage while visiting! lol

I've been to and lived in plenty of places with high humidity. The Hawaiian rainforest on the Big Island comes to mind. However, see above re:vintage and humidity.

I've also been to South Beach, and to Miami. I don't love either place, though the Art Deco buildings are lovely.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
MrBern said:
I'll have to tune up my Ukulele!

BTW, have we given up on Vegas as a destination?

Just my opinion...but for a FL 'large scale' event....its very mid-century to me...more then Golden Era.....

Part of the joy of the event is -matching- the architecture around us....the 'time capsule' effect if you will.....

Then again....we could all get armour and medieval damsel clothes and stay at Excalibur... ;)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Christmas in Yosemite

Miss Neecerie said:
Then again....we could all get armour and medieval damsel clothes and stay at Excalibur... ;)
They do an annual dinner called the Bracebridge with everyone in medieval attire. And they have been having the event for decades.

Back to our preferred decades...

It seems the QM has it above most possible locations as you do not have to go anywhere to stay, eat, drink, dance, take a walk, change etc. So you save a lot of time, and it is so lovely.

Granted it is far for a lot of folks. But it is also vintage heaven, and you MUST see it in your lifetime, so it's worth the trip.

I still say though, that the tiny FL event could easily be rolled into the ADSLA event (the annual Art Deco Queen Mary Weekend, Labor Day) and then you would have live vintage bands (and other music, ahem), an antique fair, about 300 other like minded, dressed up people, lectures and fashion shows to while away the daytime hours... and you would be doing great outreach for the Lounge. I am positive the organizers would love to have you and could create a special space for you to call your own - that Starboard Lounge does not get used during their event for instance.

I know I am shouting into the wind on this...but picture it, you could do this AND still offer a springtime official FL event on the East Coast somewhere.

Whatever. I can never afford to go anywhere unless I am entertaining, so it is moot for me!

But I would definitely consider Florida, in the winter...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A pair of no brainers:

Miss 1929 said:
I still say though, that the tiny FL event could easily be rolled into the ADSLA event and then you would have live vintage bands (and other music, ahem), an antique fair, about 300 other like minded, dressed up people, lectures and fashion shows

Miss 1929 said:
But I would definitely consider Florida, in the winter...
!!!!!!!!

Vanessa

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:

In!

Hemingway Jones said:
Whenever it is, I'll be in Italy. :rolleyes:

You may need to stay at the Venetian in Vegas. At least you know it won't be underwater.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
ADSLA event-annual Art Deco Queen Mary Weekend

I am under the impression there are a good number of Southern CA FLers who already attend this event.

And 4/17/08
MK said:
This was ADSLA's response:

I spoke to the board and QM planning committee and while there clearly is a significant crossover (I know many of our members are proud Fedora Loungers), we already have a partner for the event, the Queen Mary, and it just isn't workable or practical to take on another partner at this time. This is our fourth year partnering with them. If the Loungers wanted to have some sort of presence over the weekend, perhaps a group could attend our Cocktails in Historic Places event in the Ob Bar on Fri, Aug 29th, or perhaps you'd all like to buy a table for the Saturday night dinner dance, or a booth at the Art Deco Bazaar for Classic Style magazine. Many of the events that weekend are available separately, some are free.

Hopefully we can work together one of these days. It would be fun!

Since you are such an active participant with ADSLA, perhaps you could act as a liaison between the two and coordinate for 2009.
Since that was last April....January is probably prime time to connect with them.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
It seems as it's all a question of "Build it and they will come." If any group of Loungers can get something started, and get a bartender on board, then it's an official Lounge event. If it's a success, or even a big success, then maybe it will be tried again. If it's a big success a couple of times, then maybe it will become a regular event.
We're doing a lot of talking in circles here. New York is a good location for two excellent reasons: 1., It's loaded with great vintage venues and cultural opportunities, 2., It's central to a lot of people.
I go back to what I've mentioned several times before. There seems to be several regional hubs developing within the Lounge. The Pacific Northwest is a biggy, as is LA and San Francisco. The Northeast has Boston, New York and all sorts of scattered folks around Pennsylvania. The Southeast has some sort of Carolina - Tennesse center of gravity. And then there's Texas. I think all these regions should think about regional get togethers.
But I also think the idea of piggy backing on another event is a great one. I think Miss 1929's idea of a link with ADSLA was a great idea. Is there some sort of snobbery or false pride or insecurity about a co-sponsorship approach? A joint event would be a great opportunity to get people with similar, but not identical, interests involved in the Lounge.
I thought the Frankie Manning Birthday Party would be a great thing to be connected to, but the silence has been deafening as far as response is concerned.
We live in a time of belt tightening, I think joint efforts are really the way to go.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Joint efforts

116 posts later you are so right about talking in circles

A FL joint effort seems to be most productive, with two people making decisions and a few ad hoc folks being specifically asked for their opinions or help on a specific event details.
Otherwise - way too much democracy and no decisions being made.

One or two have to make a commitment to plan, post, invite, show up and hope you get a decent attendance.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Barbigirl said:
I am under the impression there are a good number of Southern CA FLers who already attend this event.

And 4/17/08

Since you are such an active participant with ADSLA, perhaps you could act as a liaison between the two and coordinate for 2009.
Since that was last April....January is probably prime time to connect with them.

In Miss1929's defence.....the ADSLA weekend is put on by the LA branch of the Art Deco society....Sara is of the Bay Area group..... Not that they don't mix...but the in charge folks are down here. ;)

I -happen- to be on the ADSLA Events committee (please note, this gives me very little sway, I am still new and working on things like bridging the gap, and trying to promote the notion that the FL is not just a few hundred boring old dudes obsessed with hats......because that is what the rest of the universe thinks....)

My -personal- and in no way representative of any groups opinion......

The FL attendees would never be a big enough number to say co-sponsor an event.

Attend as individuals, sure thing.....but co-host or sponsor? no. They have 200 or so....we can maybe count on 25? See where that math does not work for them?

That said....piggybacking on is entirely possible in say the following scenario....

The FL -exclusive- dinner would by necessity need to be either the Sunday night when most of the ADSLA folks have gone and there are no 'official' events left for that night.....or the Thursday before there are 'official' events.

This would have to be the case for a few reasons:

1. It would be pretty darned anti-social and elitist snob to in essence 'boycott' any of the weekends official events in order to do a separate dinner. Not -really- what we want to encourage people to think of us.

2. The ticketing for the event is most economical when bought as a package deal...2 people, 1 room for 2 nights and two entries to -all- events. Once you buy said package....and then say don't turn up to a 'dinner' or other event where food has been calculated for the number of tickets sold...you are -wasting- money that could go to -preserving- the QM. Again, that seems contrary to good sense and value.

Now...this would also leave room for say a FL -lunch-....instead of a dinner...lunches are usually just small groups of folks...but remember...the ship is packed...so things like a -large- reservation would still have to be handled in advance..etc.....but Lunch is a good option that would not interfere with the event schedule...am I right Sara?

I know this is longwinded.....

The Art Deco Society certain has a neat sounding event, but while a very inclusive deal for what was going on, it seem to be a bit pricy as an initial outlay. That could possibly make for a smaller FL turn out and it also seemed to preclude the idea of coming just for a day or a specific evening. As ones budget or work time might allow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld