Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'd like to tap into the collective Fedora brain...

Del Ray

New in Town
Greetings,

I've got a blog and I just put up a post listing 101 Old School things.

I'd like to do post in the future about proper Old School dress ideas, suggestions, etc. (101 would be great, but so would 50 or 20) and I figured the minds here would be a great resource of opinions and suggestions.

This post will have two benefits -- I'm sure it will be an awesome list and, two, I'd like to introduce the readers at OldSchoolRules to the Fedora Lounge. I think a substantial intro like a list would get a lot more clicking than just a mention or a link.

I'll throw in the first one: With the exception of jeans, trousers have creases. Your iron is your friend.

Thank you.

Del

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I'll throw in the first one: With the exception of jeans, trousers have creases. Your iron is your friend.

I wish you luck, but with a caveat: these sorts of lists are always problematic.

Take your first rule: some folks would argue (with reason) that cotton khakis/chinos don't need to be creased. Then, others would add that khakis/chinos with a flat front don't need creasing, but those with pleats do. To that, some folks would respond that proper khakis/chinos should never have pleats in any case ... and on and on it would go.

Del Ray

New in Town
I think "rule" is probably the wrong word and I shouldn't have used it.

Basically, I'm seeking opinions & comments on the topic, however deeply held or tongue in cheek they are. If you look at the post with the 101 list, there is a TON of tongue in cheek there. And re: the creases in khakis -- regardless of where someone stands on it, it's the holding of the opinion itself and the passion and priorities it illustrates that I think are of greater interest than the opinion itself.

So I guess what I'm saying is, "Opine with wild abandon. It's all good."

Respectfully,

Del

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Good! I'm all for tongue-in-cheek: I do it all the time around here (but probably shouldn't).

All kidding aside, it can be difficult for 'deeply-held' and 'tongue-in-cheek' to share the same space. One camp tends to entice --and then be provoked by-- the other, and the fur really flies.

If you're aware of that, and are still okay with it ... then have at it!

Last edited:

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Hey Del,

The sad thing that I've learned from many group sites and blogs is that folks take themselves waaaay too serious. As marc has mentioned they'll argue about the color of $hite, rather then take a second and think for a moment that something might be a joke. They will then take offense because you made the joke to begin with and depending on weather or not they've had their coffee or a bad hair day.

Then we come to the horrible phobia that someone might actually be offended because there was no obvious emotion in the form of a smiley face or LOL or Ha ha ha included with an opinion. This will then be followed by the knee jerk reaction and heaven forbid that someone has taken something the wrong way.

It's a sad day when you have to add a disclaimer that says, "OK just for the record... This is for fun! So don't take offense or start crying about nothing. I didn't mean to offend you, so stop taking yourself so seriously..."

Just a suggestion!

take care!

Del Ray

New in Town
Rats,

Thanks for the smarts. Given that your avatar has you holding a Tommy gun, I doubt if I'd disagree with you publicly...

I put up a post a while back on the virtues of simple coffee orders. Does this post mean I think someone is less of a man ordering a "cappa-frappa-thin-latte-cino"? No, of course not. The post is for laughs, not world changing. In brief, it's a joke.

I've also posted about the virtues of carrying a pocketknife or multi-tool. It's a habit I feel strongly about and I think it's worthwhile posting about. But just because I have strong positive feelings about it does not mean that I have negative feelings about someone who disagrees. Live and let live.

Virtually anything I write on the blog has a strong dose of "for entertainment purposes only". Not everything, mind you. Hence the qualifier of "virtually." Yet I understand, as you alluded to, groups sites and blogs can be quagmires of misunderstood communication.

And as for Flat Foot Flooey's comment about seeking "rules" from a blog. I agree with you. But I think when most people read a blog or forum, rules are the last thing on their mind. They (and me) want entertainment, information, camaraderie and a different/same point of view. I know that's what drew me to this forum. There's a ton of entertaining smarts here -- example, I confess, I learned from Marc's comments on khakis, as well as dozens of others I've got from "lurking" around here before I registered.

So, I've managed the ultimate forum miscue, I've gone off topic on my own topic!!

So I'll repeat myself, "Opine with wild abandon. It's all good."

Del

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes.I know it is more for entertainment than for actual "rules". Also to compare others views with your own.

To answer the qustion: "How many of these do you do?" I would guess about 30% ...Seems not too much. Maybe the cultural differences as I am european and also a student, not married and no kids. I liked the point about teaching your kids to sew which shows you don't just write this to prove you are a REAL manly man.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I doubt there is a "collective fedora lounge brain". I could only share some pointw that are for myself

-I wear a small tie knot and also a tie that isn't too long. Not crossing the beltline so to speak.
-I tuck in my shirt (because I don't own aloha shirts)
-I don't own shirts with spread collars or button down collars.
-I wear socks because this isn't miami vice and I don't want smelly feet
-I don't wear fake leather (shoes/jackets...) But I undestand and support my vegan friends as long they don't try to preach
-I try to avoid polyester/acrylics. Just doesn't feel and wear good.
-I don't roll up the sleeves of my sportscoat/suit jackets because again: this isn't miami vice.

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
You guys rock!

And yes it's all in fun unless someone is so uptight, they can't break wind!

I mean after noticing that smell of burning gray matter from between my ears, I had to spend the last couple hours looking up all those big words that Marc used! Not his fault... but did I take offense? eh... what were we talking about again? Oh yeah, tomatoes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael