Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...As answers lead to more questions, how does one identify a brim that's designed as a true snap and one that's designed to be merely shaped?

Hi

You have to see it to believe it in a way. A snap brim actually snaps down in front (or back) when you pull it down. Snap brims are "flanged" (I think that's the term) with steam and heat so that the will snap up and down.

later

amador

A-List Customer
Well, I have finally done it, in an ecstatic moment of weakness I ordered a FedIV in Moonstone. I hope it gets here just about the time of the holidays. The distractions of the holidays will distract my wife just enough so that she hopefully will not notice another hat. Maybe I should get her a hat or two.

m0nk

One Too Many
Well, I have finally done it, in an ecstatic moment of weakness I ordered a FedIV in Moonstone. I hope it gets here just about the time of the holidays. The distractions of the holidays will distract my wife just enough so that she hopefully will not notice another hat. Maybe I should get her a hat or two.
I JUST got mine and have to say I like the Moonstone color more than I expected. Some of the pics on this thread made it seem rather light in color, bit it appears darker in person, which I'm thrilled with. I'll see if I can post any pics soon. I quick gave it a dry creased c-crown and wore it to the office to start breaking in...

m0nk

One Too Many
Ok, here it is. The new Fed IV Moonstone, and quick review:

Moon_Fed.JPG

The felt is a lot stiffer than the brown was when I first got that one, but the fit is the same; tad large as my other Akubras were, and I know it'll shrink and conform. It took a quick dry crease rather well, though because of the stiffness, the pinch isn't holding quite as well. I'm sure that with a spray bottle of distilled water I'll be golden...

The color is better than I expected, as I noted before. I also really like the bow/ribbon work more than on my brown one. It has a classier look to it, which is what I was after with the color.

I'm leaning towards trimming the brim to a uniform 2.5" around, though I'll likely keep it as-is for a couple weeks and give it some thought.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
mOnk, when I first got it, I found my Moonstone Fed to be a little stiffer than my carbon grey had been. In a few days, just with regular wear, it softened up nicely. Mine was the standard felt, but apparently had the upgraded, thinner sweatband: When I put foam padding under the leather, it buckled a little, though in regular wear it's not noticeable.

The Moonstone Fed has become, not my favorite hat, but the one that fits the best. It sort of expands very slightly as I slip it on, and then contracts to grip my head. Never tightly or in a headache-inducing way, just a firm grip, as though it will take quite a wind to snatch it off.

I'm looking forward to seeing yours with a 2.5" brim.

amador

A-List Customer
m0nk , Argh, I cannot see it, looks like a white box with a red X in it. Glad to hear that the shade is a bit darker that the pics. I have a Carbon Sylemaster and figured that I needed a lighter gray for some of my coats and ties. I can hardly wait and I just ordered it. How long did it take to arrive in Camp Hill?

m0nk

One Too Many
m0nk , Argh, I cannot see it, looks like a white box with a red X in it. Glad to hear that the shade is a bit darker that the pics. I have a Carbon Sylemaster and figured that I needed a lighter gray for some of my coats and ties. I can hardly wait and I just ordered it. How long did it take to arrive in Camp Hill?
Sorry, unsure why you can't see the pic. As for travel time, they shipped it on Monday the 7th and it arrived today, so about 10 days. I was hoping it would be quicker, but then I'm also impatient. :D

I just added a pic with the moonstone fed as my avatar, if that helps some.

Last edited:

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Ok, here it is. The new Fed IV Moonstone, and quick review:

Moon_Fed.JPG

The felt is a lot stiffer than the brown was when I first got that one, but the fit is the same; tad large as my other Akubras were, and I know it'll shrink and conform. It took a quick dry crease rather well, though because of the stiffness, the pinch isn't holding quite as well. I'm sure that with a spray bottle of distilled water I'll be golden...

The color is better than I expected, as I noted before. I also really like the bow/ribbon work more than on my brown one. It has a classier look to it, which is what I was after with the color.

I'm leaning towards trimming the brim to a uniform 2.5" around, though I'll likely keep it as-is for a couple weeks and give it some thought.

m0nk, that looks good. I have the tawny Fed IV and I keep thinking about getting one in grey. I was leaning towards the carbon because it appears darker, but now that you have said that yours is darker than what pictures show, I am back on the fence (One of these days I will have to decide). I had to use several applications of the spray bottle to get my Fed IV to hold the pinch. The felt was a lot more stiff than on my Adventurer.

amador

A-List Customer
Sorry, unsure why you can't see the pic. As for travel time, they shipped it on Monday the 7th and it arrived today, so about 10 days. I was hoping it would be quicker, but then I'm also impatient. :D

I just added a pic with the moonstone fed as my avatar, if that helps some.

Thanks for taking the time to change your Avatar. Very nice contrast with the black ribbon.

HoHo so on or about the 26-27th or shortly after Thanksgiving... I should be getting my Moonstone. There should be plenty of things going on to camoflage its arrival. Maybe if there is a delay of a couple of days, Linda should be back a work and none the wiser.

When I first got my Black FedIV I spent some time dry-bashing in different ways trying to determine my preference. One morning while I was waiting for her she asked me, from another room, what I was doing. I replied "I'm bashing my hat". She responded with "Well I quess that's better than whoring around". I have no clue as to how she managed to link the two.

Hat bashing...whoring around, nope I still can't see the connection.
Anybody?

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
When I first got my Black FedIV I spent some time dry-bashing in different ways trying to determine my preference. One morning while I was waiting for her she asked me, from another room, what I was doing. I replied "I'm bashing my hat". She responded with "Well I quess that's better than whoring around". I have no clue as to how she managed to link the two.

Hat bashing...whoring around, nope I still can't see the connection.
Anybody?

I hate to be the one to understand such sentiments, but I think she was equating the phrase "bashing my hat" to other idioms that indicate masturbation. Not an entirely off-the-wall association, given the short distance between "helmet" and "hat." Hope this helps.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

When I got my tawny fawn, it was definitely stiffer than the brown one I had gotten previously. The brown had softened up over time. I decided to accelerate the process with the fawn.

Very hesitantly at first, I started to smoosh up the hat. I squashed it flat sideways and then back/front. Then I grabbed it by the sides, compressed it, and rolled it around in my hands like caterpillar tracks.

The results were positive. The hat softened up and took on a whole new personality. Instead of just sitting on my head, it began to take on a character that blended with my head and face because it was now soft enough to loosen up and express itself.

amador

A-List Customer
I hate to be the one to understand such sentiments, but I think she was equating the phrase "bashing my hat" to other idioms that indicate masturbation. Not an entirely off-the-wall association, given the short distance between "helmet" and "hat." Hope this helps.

I think I will just say that I have a new hobby. Freudian overtones concerning cigars are understandable, maybe not hats. Thanks for the help. However I am getting a new Moonstone and have to... well...bash it. I haven't decided wheather to place a center crease with a front pinch or do another C-crease. Seems that the center crease made the crown too high for my face. The C allowed me to lower the crown and give me more proportionallity. I can hardly wait.

Last edited:

m0nk

One Too Many
When I got my tawny fawn, it was definitely stiffer than the brown one I had gotten previously. The brown had softened up over time. I decided to accelerate the process with the fawn.

Very hesitantly at first, I started to smoosh up the hat. I squashed it flat sideways and then back/front. Then I grabbed it by the sides, compressed it, and rolled it around in my hands like caterpillar tracks.

The results were positive. The hat softened up and took on a whole new personality. Instead of just sitting on my head, it began to take on a character that blended with my head and face because it was now soft enough to loosen up and express itself.
I was thinking of trying something along these lines. Thanks for letting me know it'll work.

m0nk

One Too Many
Just posted this pic in the new hats thread as well, but thought I'd post it here since it looks darker in the lighting of this pic than in the other one I posted:

Moon_Fed3.JPG

Bad Co

One of the Regulars
Nice !! Moonstone will be the next one I order in the Spring

Last edited:

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
I've been looking at and wanting this hat for some time. When I have the scratch, I plan on ordering one in Moonstone. That color combo seems to go with any outfit/suit/tie match I could think of. Those brims are killer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld