Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I finally tried reverse rolls!

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
And it worked :D I'm so excited that I know how I like my hair to be now. All I need now is the wardrobe to fit it. I feel funny with my hair up like this and I'm dressed in a t shirt and blue jeans.

ETA: I made a video to show you how :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9FQ4qvSUyM

birthday072.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
humblestumble said:
All I need now is the wardrobe to fit it. I feel funny with my hair up like this and I'm dressed in a t shirt and blue jeans.

As you should! Put on a skirt and start actin like a lady! :p

LD

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thumbs up girlfriend! They are SO easy after you get used to them. I'm glad I can fit into my vintage garb again so I can wear mine this way. Otherwise I usually hate fixing my hair!

Now go put on a dress sugah!

Nikki

fleur

One of the Regulars
I Luuuuurve wearing reverse rolls although I am not much cop at doing them myself! My hairdresser has gotten the knack of doing them nice and neat.

Gok mine are always secured with kirby grips.

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Thanks gals :D At first when I had tried doin this, I didn't grab enough hair from the sides, so it looked kinda weird having this roll and then straight flat hair, so I grabbed up more from the side instead of just the bang area.

I didn't realize how simple this was to do until I finally tried it, and something clicked. It is done the same way as my little ponytail pompadour. In essence, it's like a big pincurl turned on it's side. Only, you make it when the hair is dry. I put a little hairspray at first to get it to stay in a long strand together, then I rolled it around my fingers the first few times to get it tight into a roll, and then slipped my finger out, grabbed the wheel and started rolling it toward my head.

I used Aqua Net to hold it in place as I did it, and cupped my hand to the rolls as they dried to push down any fuzzies and to get the final effect. They are secured with just 2 bobby pins, and by the end of the day, I didn't even need them. Although, I didn't know that until I was actually taking my hair out for the evening.

I hope that answers the questions that you all had about it. I can find the tutorial I semi-followed. I didn't follow it all the way because I already knew what she was doing, because I had done it before, only for a different effect. It's a great tutorial though.

http://community.livejournal.com/vintage_hair/284225.html

I'm making a petticoat, now all I need to do is figure out what dress to make :D

Oh and Fleur De Guerre, I couldn't stop staring at the swirl! I was thinking "wow, it looks like a chocolate/vanilla ice cream" :D

fleur

One of the Regulars
My god she makes it look so easy!

I've got fairly long hair and was always trying to roll it all :eusa_doh:

Wayhay Im going to do this tomorrow!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Here's the link to the other tutorial thread we had,
http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13739&highlight=victory+rolls

This is more of how I do mine, if I don't tease first they are too slippery and wimpy. I don't always want to see a "tunnel" through the roll. I also use a curling iron and curl the end of each section so it will wind easier, but you don't have to.
I like to tease with a pin-comb, try to find one if you can, or a bristle brush. Then go over the outer layer of the section of hair with the bristle brush very lightly to smooth.

Some other tips are to use silver bobby pins if you are blonde. I wish they made some for redheads!!
Also if your hair is fine or very slippery, make sure to use at least two pins, preferably going opposite directions and criss-crossing somewhat for more grip. This way they won't slide out of the hair.

You may also want to use hair pins (not bobby pins) for the outside of the roll to secure a bit more. These are just the long U shaped pins. Hold straight up and down alongside the outside of your role with the pin just in the hair a bit. Now fold the pin over flat against your head and slide in underneath the role. I hope this makes sense, I'll try to find a pic!

Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth