Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How would YOU feel?

dr greg

One Too Many
I keep my prize hats in an airtight cupboard with mothballs, yet today I found that bloody moths had got in and, did they eat my Akubras? No they went straight to my priceless butter-soft Borsalino, and chewed tracks right across the front at the peak, not the back, Oh No but right there at the front of the hat...unbelievable, Al Swearingen would feel at home around here I can assure you...THERE WAS A BLOODY OPEN JAR OF NAPTHALENE 6 INCHES FROM THE HAT...I am spitting bile.

Last edited:
I used to reserve my deepest disgust for rats. Just hate 'em, go nuclear at the first sign of 'em, etc. Over the decades, many a rat has met his end by making the poor choice of invading my space. But clothes moths are rivaling them for the top spot on my s#*t list.

So how would I feel? I'd be outraged! The nerve of some insects!

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
That's just plain awful. What makes it even more so is that you took serious precautions to keep them at bay. Can anything be done to prevent this, short of storing hats in freezers?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I was doing a bit of moth research on here when my Dobbs Gay Prince came in because it had some slight mothing. There seemed to be several threads that concurred with Alan, and regular brushing as well. And when they are stored away, they should be stored in hat boxes.

That's what I gathered, someone please feel free to correct me if I have erred.

I think keeping them out in the daylight and wearing them regularly is helpful.

True, dat. But to stay of the safe side, be certain to do both -- keep 'em out in the daylight AND wear 'em regularly. Even hats left out in front of God and everybody can get moth-eaten. I've witnessed it.

I keep my prize hats in an airtight cupboard with mothballs, yet today I found that bloody moths had got in and, did they eat my Akubras? No they went straight to my priceless butter-soft Borsalino, and chewed tracks right across the front at the peak, not the back, Oh No but right there at the front of the hat...unbelievable, Al Swearingen would feel at home around here I can assure you...THERE WAS A BLOODY OPEN JAR OF NAPTHALENE 6 INCHES FROM THE HAT...I am spitting bile.

Arrggh, That is a kick to the teeth! But I do appreciate your Al Swearingen reference, it made me chuckle.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Has Australia developed a new strain of super moths as a result of their climatic convulsions of the last few years? Bad news for all of us! Sorry to hear this, I've had many catastrophes from moths.

BigFitz

Practically Family
I would feel PO'ed!
Al.jpg

suitedcboy

One Too Many
We assume it's moths but what else eats woolens and your favorite hats (I think leave wool hats alone for some reason).

I had a Pendleton wool scarf folded and laying on a shelf for a years without being disturbed. I moved it not long ago and it has nibble tunnels. No through and through stuff but a surface "tunnel" like I have also seen on hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe