Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Vintage Do You Go? -merged thread-

Caroline

One of the Regulars
VintageJoAnn said:
I'm brand new to this thing so please be patient with me.
I'm 50 yrs old so I'm not only obsessed with vintage, I am vintage myself.
:eusa_clap lol Oh I love that! Welcome. I am trying to achieve what you and your husband have re: debt culture. My idols!

As for the "old school" home, I'm all for it. The rest of the world can have the modern stuff, and I can mooch off of it, but I don't need it in my home for the most part. I live in the middle of the city & am close to everything - wifi, library, police, fire, cable office, commuter lines, etc. I would like for nothing more modern than 1940's in our house, not including the dvd player, but I very much doubt that will happen.

I once had our bedroom 100% old time-y with only 1 lamp powered by electricity. Mostly this was out of safety, as the wiring up there is also "vintage" and not too safe. Then one long weekend my husband turned it into what the kids call a "man cave" and I pretty much just sleep/dress/misc. there and am trying to figure out the next move towards old skooling the place out. Once the world changes to digital cable, I'm out, and it's back to listening to baseball on the radio again.

I can't stress this enough:

Even if you don't have service, KEEP THE **** PHONE! By federal law, they can't refuse to transmit a 911 call no matter what, which is one of the primary reasons IMO to have one of the silly things.

OTOH, since I don't have landlines and favor a "high-mobility" lifestyle, cellphones and wireless-internet are survival necessities for me.

I'm highly dependent on my debit card, but I also maintain an Excel "virtual check-register" so it's still as if I were writing checks, but without the "we don't take checks here" attitude. And since most of my larger purchases are online, it saves me the risk of a credit-card...

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
Hummmm,

makes me think back to when there were no cell phones and computers were only in govt buildings....

I took my first computer class in college (Fortran), we used punch cards to run our programs...

how far we have come ............

I think cell phones are a must,,,,,,,I do not have any children but the comort knowing you can get in touch with your kids must be huge.....

Other thing I could never give up: MP3-players (or, in my case, the huge MP3 library on the laptop)--somehow never did like the idea of either my accompaniment being dependent on a broadcast-DJ's whims (sorry, Darhling--my computer can handle the mixes, if I'm going to have another person around I'd rather it be because I'm genuinely interested in their company unless it's a matter of necessity), or having to excuse myself in the middle of things to go change media in the stereo.

lyburnum

Practically Family
I wouldn't classify myself as old school at all, I may dress vintage but I love modern conveniences. That said, I have no interest in the TV, and I hate microwaved food, and I refuse to get a credit card because I believe in living off of what you earn, not borrowed money (unless it's for something big like a mortgage or big house refit etc - my main gripe is with credit cards rather than home loans). This isn't anything to do with being 'old school' but simply reflects my values and interests. I have lots of DVDs, CDs, a cellphone, iPod, straighteners, hairdryer and a wonderful Mac I love to death. I guess I don't see the point in giving those things up, as they in no way hinder my life, they simply make life a little easier.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I just remembered, I do prefer 'film' cameras to digital, I'm not sure why. But that is why you don't see me too often in the 'what are you wearing today' thread :)

Slim Portly

One Too Many
desi_de_lu_lu said:
Those couple of days made me realize that we are all living in a relative ignorant and comfortable bliss...and the fragile state of us all if we were to suffer a major power outage. (or worse)

You can't eat a 42" television.
Ha, don't think for a moment that I'm not prepared for the worst. Not that I would waste precious resources should the balloon go up, but I'm one of the few who could actually power a 42" television if the electricity ever was shut off. Someone has to watch the newscasters while they're being eaten by the zombies.

I, for one, do not, though--what about the rest of us once my media ex-colleagues are gone?

Guess I better break out the belt-feds... lay out some water-lines to keep the old M1919s cool... maybe a few remote-operated Gatlings around the perimeter?

Either that, or put an "expedite" on construction of Nashville II and head out to sea... anyone have any ideas of where to squirrel away a "victory garden" on a fully armed and operational battlecruiser?

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
High-index polycarbonate eyeglass-lenses are nice, too--if I had to rely on 1940's optics, the weight of the lenses alone would break my nose, if I wasn't summarily declared "beyond corrective optics"...

So true. I made the switch soon after they became available and wouldn't do without them now. They are lighter weight than glass, more scratch resistant than plastic. The optometrist who sold them to me told me that they also offer UVA and UVB protection. They cost a bit more, but I think they're worth every penny.

Besides which, either plastic or plexi, if splinters get in the eye, heal better than real glass--the Brits found this out the hard way with their fighter pilots in WWII IIRC... Would you believe that many rangemasters I've worked with consider these little things *taps lens* to be "safety glasses" for shooting purposes?

And that also means that they'd add an additional layer of UV protection above and beyond the clip-on shades over 'em... interesting!

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
lol Problem, Slim: poop-decks went out with the Age of Sail... probably have to resort to UV-lights and hydroponics somewhere in what would've been crew-quarters in the original pre-automation WWII design.
Poop = fertilizer... ah, nevermind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe