Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to incorporate high-tech items into your vintage lifestyle?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Gingerella72 said:
And, income is a big factor there.....we just can't fathom paying that much money per month for service. What I can't understand, either, is even people whose income is lower than ours have cells. Priorities, I guess. [huh]

That's funny, income is the reason that we have only cellphones and no landlines. I think it may be changing, but the landlines were far from competitive with cellular service for a long time, and most people my age view the land line as the luxury and the cellphone as the necessity.

-Dave

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Our landline costs $25/month. Cell service here would cost anywhere from $40-60/month, depending on what bells and whistles one added. For me (and I'm 36), a cell would be a luxury.

And, after living through both an ice storm and a tornado, where we were without power for several days at a time, you betcha we're keeping our landline! ;)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
PrettySquareGal is surviving with her new Blackberry as the only contact with the outside world atm - long power outage in her area. Hang in there with that new tech, PSG!

My power is back! I am exhausted.......

For three days and two nights I had no power, internet, heat or running water (we have a pump for our well water that needs electricity). My trusty rotary phone was useless because even the landline was down for one of the three days. To stay warm we ran our generator every couple of hours but it was only enough to get the furnace going- it's not powerful enough to run everything in the house.

This is where my BlackBerry comes in. I was able to make phone calls when my landline was down and I was able to access the web to get news updates like where the emergency shelters were located and email updates of my own to friends and family. It also became a source of entertainment (I can stream videos and music) when the flashlight batteries were low and candlelight too dim. When the generator was running I was able to charge it back up.

YES for the first 24 hours it's all charm and quaint- look! I'm living like a Victorian! Let's read by candlelight, how fun! But when you lose contact with the outside and NEED information and morale boosters, my little BlackBerry saved the day! That gets old fast when you have sleepless nights trying to keep yourself and pets warm (it was 8 degrees last night). Also, flushing a toilet with a bucket of water (melted snow!) on your birthday is NOT romantic!! (My birthday has been rescheduled.)

(I would be remiss to not add that marrying a Marine was a big lifesaver! ;) He really held down the fort and kept my spirits high along with everyone I had contact with.)

Thanks Scott for passing this along!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Village life and iPhones..etc

Well my American friends, I'm living in the early United States of the 1700's still (with some Thomas Edison, Wm Watson..etc thrown in for home comforts ;) ).
A rooster wakes me up in the morning thanks to the neigbour and little hens potter about. The nearest town is 7 miles away, and unless I have a 'big' shop to do, I'll often just cycle the 14 mile round trip down country roads and lanes. I have a local grocery/hardware store 5 mins walk away and a paper shop/confectioners. There's a country pub 10 mins cycle away or 20 mins walk and a few country churches. There's even a post office (albeit small - but functional). All on the doorstep, no need to drive.

I'm a 'country bumpkin' as my American pals soon realised when I thought that the signs for XING were highlighting 'another' Chinese District!!

But having seen Scott's iphone and having 'just' bought myself a notepad that I can take to the big city and use in coffee shops via WiFi, well...the whole idea of being able to 'keep in touch' even when the main lines are 'down' is a great incentive. Also to be mobile but also in communication is a major plus with me! I do 'like' my gadgets more and more :eusa_clap

H.Johnson

One Too Many
It's strange how one person's ordeal is another person's recreation. It's probably an age thing. I can't understand why there is the need to 'stay in touch' and the lack of modern facilities is (to me) a refreshing novelty.

I have a friend who has a hut (shack) in an isolated area (and there aren't many of those in Britain) that is miles away from any road and doesn't have electricity, mains water or any services. It was built in the early 1930s by an eccentric artist and philosopher who wanted to get away from things and to think and paint. It is still in its pre-war condition, done in a sort of Romany style. My friend bought it around 30 years ago, restored it and lives in it for a part of the year, lending it to friends who appreciate that way of life.

My wife and I use it regularly. We can get to with 5 miles of it by 'bus, and then walk over the hills to the secluded valley in which the hut lies, carrying at least a week's worth of food and clothes and bedding in our rucksacks. Heaven. Cooking on a wood fire, fetching water from a spring, bathing in the nearby stream, no radio, no telephone, no TV, no traffic, no people. And, most definitely, no computer. What a refreshing break!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I don't think it's either/or.

Richard Proenneke is one of my personal heroes. I still like my gadgets. And hot showers, for that matter.

Richard_Proenneke.jpg

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
H.Johnson said:
It's strange how one person's ordeal is another person's recreation. It's probably an age thing. I can't understand why there is the need to 'stay in touch' and the lack of modern facilities is (to me) a refreshing novelty.

Think about "mail call". Huge morale builder.

Having no heat in 8 degree weather is not refreshing, especially when it goes on for days. Not for me.

It's also not the same as a planned roughing it camping trip. But I won't argue with you about it. I'm glad I'm safe, had a way to stay in touch and most people here have their power back.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
scotrace said:

Scott,

True, but in my experience many people who use modern technology regularly (cars, phones, computers, TVs) come to rely on them. They find it harder to do without these things temporarily (whether in an emergency or for leisure) than people who don't use them.

I lead lead survival courses (management team building, etc.) usually lasting only three days and watching people go through agonising withdrawal symptoms caused by the loss of their technology is a real eye-opener.

My grandad had none of the above - he wouldn't have batted an eyelid if deprived of them. My dad had two of them (land phone and B&W TV)- he'd cope very well. I have a TV and land phone at home and a landphone and computer at work - I cope OK without them. When I retire (379 days and counting) I will have none, like grandad. Bring it on...

H.Johnson

One Too Many
PrettySquareGal said:
<Snip> But I won't argue with you about it. I'm glad I'm safe, had a way to stay in touch and most people here have their power back.

PSG
I wasn't aware we were arguing. I think we lead different lifestyles. I'm glad you're safe, too.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
H.Johnson said:
PSG
I wasn't aware we were arguing. I think we lead different lifestyles. I'm glad you're safe, too.

We weren't arguing yet. I meant I wasn't going to debate the merits of losing power. :) Thanks for caring that I am safe! :)

warbird

One Too Many
scotrace said:

Richard Proenneke is one of my personal heroes. I still like my gadgets. And hot showers, for that matter.

Richard_Proenneke.jpg

A hero of mine as well. I have spent considerable time in Alaska, been to every pat of the state and I can tell you one thing. There no way I'd ever want to try that. Even if I like my isolation that much would drive me insane. But, also even for the biggest survivalist out there, there's nothing harder than doing it in Alaska. It is so harsh that living there in even the best of places requires mettle, though we all know Carebear has it easy :p .

Living as he did is extreme, there are so many ways to die there. If I choose to be a survivalist I think I will choose a nice island in the south pacific with lots of fresh water and plenty of fruits and some animals natural to the place. :)

I like my modernity I must say. I like TV and watching dvd's. I like having portable dvd's for the kids to watch on really long trips. Cell phones are mandatory for my work as I travel a lot and must be accessible. I don't have any ipods or things like that and don't really feel the need, nor for video games, my kids play outside. That said my living also takes me to far corners of the country and the globe. I traverse a good part of nature and enjoy the time there. I do not miss my modern conveniences for the most part when I am out there either. I like to know what I am made of and there are fewer and fewer opportunities to just be out there in it anymore w/o the world right on top of you. But, it is still out there.

For me life should be an adventure. I only like to read of great hunts and such as a comparison to my own adventures, not to read hoping for an escape. To me the exploration of the world is far more important than whether you can modern things with you or how you live at home It's a big world live it like you wish, but it's not a long time we spend here. If modern things get me there quicker, all the better. Though I will say I'd sure love to take an old steam engine across the country. Just for the adventure of it.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
warbird said:
A hero of mine as well. I have spent considerable time in Alaska, been to every pat of the state and I can tell you one thing. There no way I'd ever want to try that. Even if I like my isolation that much would drive me insane. But, also even for the biggest survivalist out there, there's nothing harder than doing it in Alaska.

I'm pleased someone else knew who I was talking about. Any guy who can check the thermometer inside the cabin and see 30 degrees, then bundle up and go outside the cabin where it is -60F, has mettle + tax. AND set up camera, tripod etc., to film his adventures!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe