Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to "destink" a vintage leather?

revkev

One of the Regulars
I purchased a vintage GAP leather. I like it a lot but it has a faint smell...Its not bad, but its not good. Does not smell like rot, but more like a clean wet dog without any added frangrance if that makes sense.

I literally put this jacket through the ringer. I am not afraid to wash a leather jacket (of course it depends on the leather) in a washing machine and rant this 2x. Its better, but still there if you are standing near me. I recall when I took it out of the washing cycle when it was wet, the scent was the strongest, but faded as it dried. I just did the 2nd wash and going to apply mink oil to re mositurize and maybe lock in the scent.

Any ideas on how to neutralize this? Thanks
IMG_5177.JPG

Modified_last_call

One of the Regulars
I would say your last line of attack is an ozone generator.
I have had good results in a small enclosed space.
They can be had for less than $50.00
Multiple treatments give better results as you can't really damage the jacket.
The jacket may retain a slight metallic scent.

Here's a link to one THIS , but you can find them anywhere

revkev

One of the Regulars
I never thought about that! I actually have one since I used to be a car broker. I will give it a try. How "enclosed" was the space you used? I can try it in a bathroom.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I don't know if it would work on leather, but I got the stink out of an old Barbour waxed jacket with a soak in, believe it or not, cheap vodka. Try at your own risk o_O.

gekej

New in Town
I purchased a vintage GAP leather. I like it a lot but it has a faint smell...Its not bad, but its not good. Does not smell like rot, but more like a clean wet dog without any added frangrance if that makes sense.

I literally put this jacket through the ringer. I am not afraid to wash a leather jacket (of course it depends on the leather) in a washing machine and rant this 2x. Its better, but still there if you are standing near me. I recall when I took it out of the washing cycle when it was wet, the scent was the strongest, but faded as it dried. I just did the 2nd wash and going to apply mink oil to re mositurize and maybe lock in the scent.

Any ideas on how to neutralize this? Thanks View attachment 646220 https://snaptubie.com/snaptube-for-ios/
I've always been a huge fan of leather sport coats and am absolutely in love with suede ones. I haven't had much finding them at a price point I like i.e. under $90. I did thrift this lovely coat, but it was messed up by the cleaners unfortunately. frown.gif This was taken back in 2012. I probably would have styled it differently in hindsight.

Bahabp100

Practically Family

Any ideas on how to neutralize this? Thanks View attachment 646220
For me an Ozone generator is the only thing that work

Bahabp100

Practically Family
I never thought about that! I actually have one since I used to be a car broker. I will give it a try. How "enclosed" was the space you used? I can try it in a bathroom.
Yes a bathroom works just make sure to ventilate before you breathe in there

revkev

One of the Regulars
Yes a bathroom works just make sure to ventilate before you breathe in there
I actually have one...its rated at 5000 whatever whatever. Did not work. Maybe I got a junk ozone (it didnt work for my car either). Which model do u have? I ended up putting it in a plastic bag and its now in my freezer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Niicorobin246