Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much rain can an Akubra take?

Mav

A-List Customer
Neophyte said:
I just didn't expect this to happen within one month of purchase. Oh well. I've finished wetting and bashing it...and while it may not be its former self, I think I like it better this way.
There ya go. Just think about how nasty- looking and cool this thing is going to look in about another 40 years, when you're a crusty old man in an old thrashed hat siccing your dog on kids from your porch.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Mav said:
There ya go. Just think about how nasty- looking and cool this thing is going to look in about another 40 years, when you're a crusty old man in an old thrashed hat siccing your dog on kids from your porch.

Sage advice! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you very much...and nice username:rolleyes: :eusa_clap

something about a vampire powerful enough to chew on religious symbols without any ill effects brings a smile to my face.....:D

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Good thing this is a trick question because all I've read is tricky answers and I don't have any answers that aren't tricky.

My Campdraft currently lives on a stretcher when I'm not wearing it.

Neophyte

Wise words. The only answer seems to be another question: How much time, effort, and money are you willing to invest in your hat to maintain it? Now one must do some soul-searching and find the answer to this question.

Seems almost like common sense after 4+ pages of reading...

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Neophyte said:
Wise words. The only answer seems to be another question: How much time, effort, and money are you willing to invest in your hat to maintain it? ...

All ways to the end

yoda.jpg

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Alucard73 said:
My Akubra is my go to hat in stormy weather.

I'll admit this right now: I have a go to hat for stormy weather.

BUT my fedora has a go to umbrella that it wants me to take along.

I obey its orders and we are both spared.

:D

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Alucard73 said:
My Akubra is my go to hat in stormy weather. Always holds its shape. BTW...nice avatar.

Same here. It's definitely my go-to hat for rainy weather, and I have found that mine does retain its shape for the most part, as long as I don't have anything to do with touching the wet crown too hard.

I'll admit this right now: I have a go to hat for stormy weather.

BUT my fedora has a go to umbrella that it wants me to take along.

I obey its orders and we are both spared.

I've never done the umbrella thing alongside my hat just yet, although I believe on days that I would want my hat to be presentably dry for later, I would bring one.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I see nothing wrong with having the foresight to carry an umbrella on a day that rain is imminent or in progress. A head can still get wet under an umbrella in a serious rainstorm. The hat does a great job of keeping my head dry and warm in these conditions while the umbrella takes the brunt of the storm.

Neophyte

There's the problem, though...we neglected to check the weather channel. It was nine o'clock at night, so we figured since it hadn't rained at all that day, it wasn't gonna. We were completely taken by surprise and punished for our neglect and ignorance...:D

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Neophyte said:
There's the problem, though...we neglected to check the weather channel. It was nine o'clock at night, so we figured since it hadn't rained at all that day, it wasn't gonna. We were completely taken by surprise and punished for our neglect and ignorance...:D

That's how nature will do ya. It has no respect for a well constructed hat. lol

Edward

Bartender
My Akubra Riverina has handled extremes of temperature and precipitation on several trips overseas, including being caught in the worst rainstorm in Hong Kong for 124 years (May 2008) without a problem. My Federations (both Mk III, a Deluxe in dark brown and a standard in carbon grey) have handled everything that can be thrown at them by London Winters, and my Akubra Rap (pork pie), crushed virtually flat at a Pogues gig in December 2009, came back to shape after fifteen minutes with the kettle. I certainly don't advocate abusing hats, but you don't need to be afraid to take an Akubra out and wear it as intended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe