Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you store your leather jackets

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Friend, I am thinking of building a rack for my jackets. I am planing to use 3/4 or 1/2 black or galvanized pipe. Since I lack space, I am thinking in doing a different design than the typical industrial coat rack. My design will be a permanent design using the wall studs as a secondary load bearing option. I have built something similar in my old house.

Here is what I was thinking. However, the load will continue to carry to the floor rather than the image, which shows differently. Additionally, it will have a double cross hanging bar rather than a single.

ad568b20-954d-4520-9ebd-b05c519fe12e.4b9cd41f8437617bcc7f3265b83fdc96.jpeg

floater

New in Town
Currently mostly piled up on a leather seat and maybe 1-2 stretched out over it

But that’s only cuz you guys got me paranoid about stretching them with normal wood suit hangers, so now I’m looking for pool worms and whatnot so I can put them back in the closet

Last edited:
^Same as @Bfd70 I live in a 100 year old house with awkward closets. So it’s football sled them in, feel guilty, sell a few off. I wouldn’t want to make a display out of them or have them hung in such a way that weren’t put away from view for guests (or myself for that matter). I hate clutter and having a rack of jackets exposed would drive me nuts.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I used to re-build my closets by making utilizing all the volume in the space. Since I have broken the regular one-inch wood rods before, I used 1.50 stainless steel rods with two supports in the middle and at each end to properly hold the weight. Additionally, In the past, I used to roll them and stack them on a clean area of the closet. I Then I started to use stackable 27 gallon containers for project vintage jackets that I'm slowly working my way.

Last edited:

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
At this moment, I am using a spare room to temporary place some of the none woolen lined jackets. Here is a rack I welded about 30 years ago, 3/4 thick wall 316 stainless. I copy the designed from a vintage shop. My design had to be wide enough to fit the jackets with those noodles. It has two boot holder (top & bottom wood removed) that will be getting two pieces of bamboo counter top remnants I got from my architect buddy. Also, the container and plastic bags hold some wool lined jackets. The more valuable jackets are stored in garment bags in well sealed closets. I had those flying guys damage some of my WWII originals. Not cool when It happens. As hard as I try to make some cloth mothproof, the flying guys keep on getting and ruin some of my stuff.

rack.jpg

plastic containers.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82