Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hornskov Hats - custom Danish hatter

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Watching he multiple Hornskov videos I have not ever seen him pouncing a hat to any degree> I just thought that he is buying the FEPSA felts that come fully pounced from the factory.

Someone in the FB group said Hornskov might be one of the best hatters out there, I replied that he used pre-pounced FEPSA blanks*. Well, Peter saw that and said something along the lines of "because I choose to use the best, doesn't mean I can't work with anything else" (again, paraphrasing). I said that I've made hats from a Winchester body and a FEPSA body and one took considerably more time and effort than the other. That ended the exchange apparently.

*I don't mean this as a knock against Hornskov, I honestly do like many of their hats. I just think there's a different level of artistry between forming A pre pounced body and say, the scorch finish from BSHW, or the suede finish that Art used to do, or how some hatters can thin out a body.

Someone in the FB group said Hornskov might be one of the best hatters out there, I replied that he used pre-pounced FEPSA blanks*. Well, Peter saw that and said something along the lines of "because I choose to use the best, doesn't mean I can't work with anything else" (again, paraphrasing). I said that I've made hats from a Winchester body and a FEPSA body and one took considerably more time and effort than the other. That ended the exchange apparently.

*I don't mean this as a knock against Hornskov, I honestly do like many of their hats. I just think there's a different level of artistry between forming A pre pounced body and say, the scorch finish from BSHW, or the suede finish that Art used to do, or how some hatters can thin out a body.
Yes, I fully agree. The FEPSA 95gr beaver felts are a wonderful item and I love working with them. But, as I have learned, the most involved/subtle/nuanced skill in learning to hat is working the felt and with the FEPSA 95gr a hatter does not have to work the felt at all.....the factory produces the finish. Art Fawcett, a true master hatter, paid homage to Rodney Allison, saying the finish he is able to produce on a felt is a wonder.....and unsurpassed in the world of hatters. If I continue to make hats perhaps in another 5 or 10 years I might get to say I am adept at this aspect of hatting.

StoryPNW

One Too Many
@Steve1857, @StoryPNW, just wondering what happened with your Hornskovs. I know you both bought the 30% off old pricing. I can’t recall if it was a one or two year window during which to purchase. I also don’t recall seeing your new Hornskovs. Have they been made, or are they still in the works?
Mine has been ordered but I haven't heard that Peter has started working on it yet.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
@Steve1857, @StoryPNW, just wondering what happened with your Hornskovs. I know you both bought the 30% off old pricing. I can’t recall if it was a one or two year window during which to purchase. I also don’t recall seeing your new Hornskovs. Have they been made, or are they still in the works?

Mine has been ordered but I haven't heard that Peter has started working on it yet.
Mine is in the works as in: I'm still deciding which one to order :cool:

I think the Hornskov's new baby is slowing things down a bit, but Peter has said he's still working on hats as best he can.

Danes take maternity and paternity leave seriously over here.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Well Gary, I've finally decided and ordered.

I went for the pure beaver Mogul in steel with a mustard hatband.

Hopefully, it will arrive in time for the autumn and felt season.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Well Gary, I've finally decided and ordered.

I went for the pure beaver Mogul in steel with a mustard hatband.

Hopefully, it will arrive in time for the autumn and felt season.
You won’t be disappointed. The Mogul is a classy hat. I love mine, and it’s Etsuko’s favourite of my Hornskovs.

Did you go beaver or blend?

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
You won’t be disappointed. The Mogul is a classy hat. I love mine, and it’s Etsuko’s favourite of my Hornskovs.

Did you go beaver or blend?
As Marcel noted, 100% beaver. I went all in :)

You're forgiven for not noticing, Gary. For one thing, it was early in Japan when you saw my post.

For another, you must have been in shock that I've finally ordered a Hornskov :cool:

Thanks to you, I'm finally there!

The Shoe

One Too Many
The Mogul is a bit the same model as the earlier Henchman that i own right?
It does look similar, but I think the brim curl is a bit different. Also, yours appears to be a diamond crown, whereas the Mogul is a centre dent. Here’s a comparison of our two hats. Yours followed by mine.
IMG_1228.jpeg
IMG_1229.jpeg
IMG_1231.jpeg
IMG_1230.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth