Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Historical Hats & Reenacting History

Mighty44

One Too Many
On my maternal side I have a GGGrandfather who served on the Ironclad gunship, USS Benton. In researching the Benton & its battle record during the Civil War I found this unidentified pic of a sailor who served on the Benton. The USS Benton had a crew of 200 men living onboard. US Naval uniforms of the day displayed the name of their ship across the front of their cap. If you look closely you can see the name Benton (in reverse image) across his cap.

View attachment 620016

The USS Benton patrolled both the Mississippi River & the Yazoo River of Louisiana & Mississippi. It was involved in 31 battles during its commission including the Battle of Vicksburg where it was considered the flagship of the battle.

View attachment 620014
View attachment 620013
View attachment 620015
Fascinating stuff.

An amazing history!

Fascinating stuff.
The USS Benton was commissioned early when the war first began. The Naval unit that would serve on her was first a heavy artillery unit stationed at Cairo, IL to protect the confluence of the Ohio & Mississippi Rivers there. The artillery unit was a natural to serve on an ironclad gunboat once the Benton was ready. In 1862 Fort Defiance was then built to protect Cairo.

On my maternal side I have a GGGrandfather who served on the Ironclad gunship, USS Benton. In researching the Benton & its battle record during the Civil War I found this unidentified pic of a sailor who served on the Benton. The USS Benton had a crew of 200 men living onboard. US Naval uniforms of the day displayed the name of their ship across the front of their cap. If you look closely you can see the name Benton (in reverse image) across his cap.

View attachment 620016

The USS Benton patrolled both the Mississippi River & the Yazoo River of Louisiana & Mississippi. It was involved in 31 battles during its commission including the Battle of Vicksburg where it was considered the flagship of the battle.

View attachment 620014
View attachment 620013
View attachment 620015
I have to dig around now. I think I have at least one document from the Benton.
Nice history Jack!

Today June 25th, marks the 148th anniversary of The Battle of the Little Big Horn. Amid some controversy Custer’s scout, Curly, a member of the Crow tribe survived until his passing in 1923. This was Curly’s hat he wore late in his life.

IMG_6169.jpeg

IMG_6170.jpeg

The surviving victors of the battle posed in 1948.

IMG_6168.jpeg

On a side note, what remains of Custer’s flag carried in battle was sold at auction just a few yrs ago for $2.2M. The buyer remains anonymous (thought to be William Koch).

1719312561932.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally