Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High Rise Jeans

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
;)
In the 80s/90s I wore higher-waisted trousers, but it wasn't really my thing. They hold up naturally when I fix them at the height of my natural waist. They make the lower body look far too bulky for my taste. But as always, it's just a question of personal taste.

I've recently bought several pairs of 'relaxed straight' or 'wide straight' which are based on vintage 1950's Levi's 501's. And yeah, they've got the 'dad jeans' wide at the hips thing going on. I used to hate that look but I've come back to it full circle I guess lol. It's not my favorite cut. I guess I'd say a 'regular straight' would be my favorite, like a modern Levi's 501 cut with a medium-high rise and a straight leg but without the wide hips. But I can't always be picky. I'm into selvedge denim within a certain weight range and my favorite cuts aren't always available in my exact size. But this 'wide straight' cut thing does work well for me with the heavier winter weight denims

I’ve come full circle on denim. I went through it with IH “sick fades”, etc. I only kept one pair. The super black, discontinued 964z. If I’m not wearing vintage navy surplus, Penny’s rancher or Levi’s I stick to modern Levi’s 517 or 527. They are available in a spectrum of washes. The 517’s are higher rise and better quality. 527’s are beer and endless wings fit.

Both are described as “bootcut” but are anything but. Simply a true straight leg.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
LOL, the 'sick fades' thing was pretty funny, with guys posting pics of their "honeycombs" and "whiskering" and pics of themselves frolicking in the ocean with their jeans on and rubbing their butts on the sand LOL. When I got into selvedge denim a lot of that was still going on, as was the 'never wash them' thing. And the 'buy them 1 size too small' thing. Holee cow. I remember thinking that didn't sound right and I ignored it and just bought my normal size, and discovered the hard way, after buying several pairs, that you shouldn't even do that...you should go 1 inch in the waist larger because sanforized shrinks about an inch in the waist in the wash. But yeah, the 'go smaller they will stretch' thing, LOL. What nonsense that was.

I remember wearing my jeans to work after they had shrunk to be 1 inch too small in the waist, and being in agony all day. They felt like they got tighter as the day went on actually. I think something about being squeezed below your gut like that for an extended period gives you bloat and gas. But yeah, the drive home after 10 or so hours of that was always especially brutal and I'd run into the house when I got home and would be like 'aaaahhhhhhhhh' when I finally got to pop those buttons open and take the damn things off.

I blew a bunch of $$ too because I had bought several pairs sized like that, before I had washed a pair and knew what would happen. All of these denim bros with their 'buy too small' advice had failed to mention that sanforized still shrinks. I had to sell off all the jeans I had bought at a loss, and re-buy new ones sized correctly. Anyway....hardcore denim guys man, what a wacky bunch

Last edited:
Lol 'sick fadez'. I'm deeply embarrassed even thinking about my denim phase. Major cringe. Man, I was prancing around wearing that fu(king IH trucker like I've just stepped out from Brioni where I picked up my brand new suit, all the while wearing a stupid denim jacket.

Then I began annoying people at work, telling them they shouldn't wash their jeans, while literally having live wounds at the back of my knees from those 25oz jeans. What's worse, they don't even look heavy! Two weeks was how much I endured until listing them at half the price...

At least the fleece truckers were joy to wear after years spent freezing while wearing dozens of inadequately lined leather jackets.

That lunatic from Switzerland was my biggest wake up call, though. Passionate my ass - You can see the man isn't well and is in a dire need of a psychiatric help.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I like mid rise for myself. Short rise jeans/pants doesn't really bag out much, but isn't as comfortable. Taller rise jeans/pants only looks good when it's freshly ironed, wearing it for an hour and it bags out very fast. Mid rise also bags out but not as bad as higher rise and at the same time more comfortable than lower rise. Even with higher rise the pant waist doesn't go above my belly button, it sits about 1/2" below it, unless I am using a belt or suspender and purposely wearing it like Erkel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MalcolmContreras