Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Here is my 1940s Barbershop:

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
feltfan said:
Ouch.
But thanks so much for looking into this. asked because I have collected quite a few of these devices.
Here's one I posted:

OK... now I am getting exited. This is yours?!

318186727_74302c474c.jpg

One word of advice for your barber friends: should they
ever decide to use one of those "violet ray" devices,
don't use them around alcohol-based hair treatments!
All the books and devices come with this warning.
Yes, I was told that the old-timers used to apply vinegar first to the scalp pre-treatment.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr. 'H' said:
OK... now I am getting exited. This is yours?!
That and a few other fine devices. So as not to detract from
this thread on your wonderful barber shop, let's take any discusssion
of these devices to the thread in the Display Case:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=14446

Keeping with the barber shop theme here, I'll just say that
some beauty colleges STILL teach the use of those
"violet ray" high frequency generators in hair styling. I'm
glad your shop keeps them in the closet!

Mr. 'H' said:
Yes, I was told that the old-timers used to apply vinegar first to the scalp pre-treatment.
Ew. That's pretty amusing.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L0dhlUrMNws&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L0dhlUrMNws&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

cco23i

A-List Customer
That reminds me of Turkey, they light rolled paper on fire to burn the hair in your ears, it's kind of scarey the first time.:eek: I do miss the massages though!:D

Scott

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
Great place!

It reminds me of my old school (1913) NYC barber, Paul Molé (scroll half way down to enter), where my grandfather first took me over forty years ago. Gramps was one of their first and best (weekly haircut/trim his entire life) customers.

Hey Tomasso,

I am planning a visit to Paul Mole's shop this week as I am in
New York. Anything special I shoud ask for?

Love to get a shave. Open blade is still available in New York I take it?

analiebe

A-List Customer
oh... how wonderful... it reminds me of being really little & going to a traditional barbers with my grandpa (a very sartorial gentleman indeed) i just loved the place and would beg him to let me go with him... unfortunately it, and several other beautiful heritage shops in the same strip were demolished a few years ago for a carpark - such a shame and loss

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Watching that video up there, "Singeing at the Waldorf" reminded me of the documentary/reality TV-show (some of you might know it), called "The 1940 House". For those who don't know this show, they took a modern-day English family and put them in a house, ca. 1940, to see how modern people coped with wartime conditions.

Anyway, in preparation for their move, the family (dad, mum and two boys, I think), had to have a complete 1940s makeover. Part of that was getting their hair done. And the barber used a technique which he called the "six-penny singe", and went around papa's head with a burning match, singeing all the hair-ends.

What is the purpose of singeing hair? When did this 'fashion' start, and when did it die out? The pudding-basin haircut (a bit like the Beatles), was popular in the 30s and 40s because it was cheap and easy to do...but what about stuff like the six-penny singe?

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Here are some photos of me at the shop taken on Saturday morning. I love getting a straight razor shave and haircut on a Saturday morning. You feel like a million dollars for the weekend! :)

IMG_4278llo.jpg

IMG_4227llo.jpg

IMG_4224l0.jpg

IMG_4205alo.jpg

IMG_4219lclo-1.jpg

TomS

One Too Many
I have thought about barbering as a second career, and your shop is the kind I have in mind!!
Best,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust