Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Purchase of First Fedora

I've yet to purchase a proper fedora as well (the one in the avatar is a $7 costume prop!). While I don't necessarily need an Indy hat yet, I do like that style, especially the pinched "Raiders" crown and wide brim. Do these type of fedoras come in midnight blue?

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Michael Mallory said:
I'm a Biltmore man. They seem to have the best blocks and a good quality felt for the money. I don't do the $400 hats. I have a lot of other things I can spend that money on. But Biltmore's run in the $100-to-$150 range, and are good quality. Check out Miller Hats online. All their brand name stock is Biltmore.

Sounds like something I wrote once...my sentiments exactly. Had my hundred dollar Stetson on today and it looked and felt great.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm no expert for sure but here's a sizing chart that might help.
ScreenHunter_001.jpg

There's tons of hats on Ebay all the time. Be patient and when you find one you like make a maximum bid you'd pay.

ajax

New in Town
I'm Back from NYC!

Traffic in and out of Manhattan was absolutely ridiculous, but I was in town to visit my daughter at college and to purchase a Fedora. I had time for one store and picked JJ Hat Center. It did not disappoint. A gentleman by the Name of Jose was very helpful, informative and patient. I tried on about 10 hats and I liked none better than the third one. My daughter convinced me to go with gray and I am very pleased with my choice. So the brand and the name are....

Borsalino's Como.

I love this hat. It fits my 7 1/4 head perfectly, and just looks awesome. It's an expensive hat, but I shall now have it until I check out of this Earth, hopefully at least 40 years from now. I can't wait to wear it again tomorrow.

I did buy a hat brush since it was only 12.50 more.

Thanks for everyone's input and I highly recommend JJ Hat Center in NYC.

Andrew

Mycroft

One Too Many
ajax said:
Traffic in and out of Manhattan was absolutely ridiculous, but I was in town to visit my daughter at college and to purchase a Fedora. I had time for one store and picked JJ Hat Center. It did not disappoint. A gentleman by the Name of Jose was very helpful, informative and patient. I tried on about 10 hats and I liked none better than the third one. My daughter convinced me to go with gray and I am very pleased with my choice. So the brand and the name are....

Borsalino's Como.

I love this hat. It fits my 7 1/4 head perfectly, and just looks awesome. It's an expensive hat, but I shall now have it until I check out of this Earth, hopefully at least 40 years from now. I can't wait to wear it again tomorrow.

I did buy a hat brush since it was only 12.50 more.

Thanks for everyone's input and I highly recommend JJ Hat Center in NYC.

Andrew

The hat brush is well worth the extra dough from J.J.'s mine works like a charm. And have fun with your new topper. :)

Stetsonguy

New in Town
First fedora

I too had thought about wearing a hat a longtime before I actually bought one. After research, both local and online, I decided that I wanted a Stetson. I found the Stetson Hampton was the one I wanted.

http://www.qualityhats.com/hampton.htm

I like the teardrop crown, as opposed to the center-dent crown, fur felt to last a long time (silk finish), and bound edge. I ordered black and loved it, and went back and got it in brown. The online retailer I got mine from doesn't carry the hat anymore, but quality hats will custom order it.

I know I get looks of bewilderment when I wear it, but I don't care. I like the look, and in upstate NY the winters get cold!

You did right

Those in the know say that today's Borsalinos aren't as good as the vintage ones. While I'm certainly no expert, I can pass along some anecdotal observations. I own several Borsalinos, bought new over the past 20 years or so at the last remaining hats-only store in Seattle. And I've also purchased several less-expensive hats from that store and from other sources. In general, Borsalinos hold up better than the other mass-produced hats, although you can get a darned good hat from another mass manufacturer. It seems that the quality is more hit-and-miss with the cheaper lids.
A friend picked up an old (I don't know how old) Borsalino Savoy at a garage sale several years ago and gave it to me. I think he paid five bucks for it. And yes, it does seem superior to the newer ones.
I'm guessing your new Como set you back about $250. That's not cheap, but it should last you many, many years, and you needn't fear exposing it to the occasional downpour. (My Borsalinos retain their shape just fine after getting wet; I can't necessarily say that for the lower-priced lids.) And that brush was a wise purchase, too. I trust the helpful fellow at the store instructed you to brush your hat in a counter-clockwise direction.
You were also wise to go into a store with a wide selection and try on several hats. You never know for sure how you'll look in a lid until you put it on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe