Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me figure what uniform's branch it came from

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
?

The coat is a dark enough blue to be a U.S. Army officer's dress blues, but stand-up collars and red trousers were no longer regulation by 1935. It may be from a movie, perhaps U.S. Civil War or French Foreign Legion (as others have stated); such costumes are sometimes found in thrift stores here in L.A.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
anon` said:
For comparison, this is me wearing my great-grandfather's 1902-pattern full dress tunic. This is very similar to the field tunic that was in use in the decade or so prior. Yes, I know it's too small. Photo is for illustrative purposes only ;)
DSCN1847.JPG

Great tunic, anon '! How did it survive so well over a century? It appears to look in even better shape than my father's WWII Army Class A jacket. 1902 was of course the year that the chevrons were turned "right-side up."

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Could it possibly be from another branch of the Government? I have a US Marshal jacket that has the federal eagle seal on them, same as a US Army tunic but in a silver color instead of gold.

Matt

anon`

One Too Many
Widebrim said:
Great tunic, anon '! How did it survive so well over a century? It appears to look in even better shape than my father's WWII Army Class A jacket. 1902 was of course the year that the chevrons were turned "right-side up."
Thanks! I'm not rightly sure how it survived, myself! Despite one fairly large moth hole on it (which it isn't very obvious), this is in better shape than a lot of WWII-era clothing I've come across. Other than the one chew, it's both intact and in remarkably crisp condition. I rescued it a few years ago from a steamer trunk that had been in storage down in Talent, OR since about 1968 (judging by the newspapers that I found in his footlocker, which I rescued at the same time). My best guess is that years of being stored in a non-climate controlled unit in a part of the world with hot summers and cold winters (before Talent, it would've been in Klamath Falls, I think) meant that clothes moths died before they had a chance to wreak havoc on it. Also likely that it had been cleaned before going into storage.

The same trunk also yielded up a war-era ladies' wool jacket and my grandfathers Ike jacket (which, amazingly, fits me) and trousers (which don't), all in excellent condition.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
The jacket could also be from a local militia unit, you know, one of those units that was more a social club than anything else? Lots of these existed up until the War in most large Eastern Cities.

JoshK

New in Town
The Marine Corps Dress Blue tunics didn't recieve pocket till AFTER World War II(along with the rear pockets on both the Forest Green and Dress Blue trousers).

Here is some proof:
http://www.ww2gyrene.org/uniform_blues.htm

As to what your uniform is, it is probobly not USMC, my guess some sort of Zouve Uniform(either real or from a costume Department).
-Josh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe