Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Helmet Horde?

locobuster

New in Town
I have a small collection that I started just over a year ago. It includes:

1) Gentex HGU-39P flight helmet
2) Swiss M-18 Steel Helmet
3) Civil Defense helmet like the one dhermann is wearing in the first post of the thread
4) M1 Steel Helmet that I believe is from the late 70's

I am planning to start focusing more on headgear and hope to add more to the collection in the very near future.

dhermann1 said:
I got this at a stoop sale in Brooklyn many years ago. Since I'm a searcher in my office's Emergency Watchamacallit Team, I've used it work a couple of times. For some reason it elicited more derision that awe.
CDHelmet.jpg

I think if you gave it a good restoration it would be better received. In the WWII section, I think there are some Civil Defense threads.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I kinda like it in its original banged up state. It always makes me think of those WW II cartoons, where the air raid warden is yelling out at some one "Turn out that light!" at the top of his lungs.
The other thing I like about it is that when you talk with it on your head, it echoes as if you were in a tunnel or a cave.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
That put-upon expression is priceless. One imagines a Pete Smith Specialty with d as a hapless CD volunteer. Or perhaps Bob Benchley in How to Black Out, with the inevitable easel-talk from the Regional Director. lol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
That's actually just me trying to get a shot of myself holding the camera at arms length and trying not to jiggle. But, yeah, I like the dopey look.
I think I was a cartoon character in a previous life.

DerMann

Practically Family
I can't really wear helmets, as the chin strap looks odd with my mutton chops. The only appropriate helmet would be a British Foreign Service or Wolseley pattern pith helmet. Need to find an excuse/outfit to wear one, though.

green papaya

One Too Many
63064c26.jpg

df75cb9e.jpg

WWII era hard hat / helmet made for civillian workers , worn by Civil Defense, ship builders, Merchant Marine, bridge construction, heavy equipment operators, etc, also used by the military during training exersizes / field manuevers

manufactured by B.F. McDonald co, Los Angeles, Ca

c8d0cc41.jpg

167b23f9.jpg

East Germany M56 Stahlhelm first model with three rivets & WWII style liner, dated 1959 Cold War era

7220bcd9.jpg

Polish / East German Wz63 paratrooper helmet mfg in Poland and used by several Warsaw pact countries

Last edited:

Hercule

Practically Family
I've got a painted doughboy helmet in the trunk of my car right now. I've been trying to get rid of the thing and have been toting it around with the hope I'll be able to trade it at an antique store for something I really want.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I know it's silly. I'm reminded of Helmut Grokenberger (aka helmet head) in A Night on Earth. If you have never seen the film, check it out.

1a9d15d0.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe