Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heavy weight denim crotch wear

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Heavier denim is certainly overhyped in terms of durability. Sure, it would protect you more than 11oz jeans in a motorcycle crash, but thats not necessary for most people.

IIRC the reason Iron Heart (before its British dealer seemed to take over design and operations) developed its original heavy denim was as an alternative to leather pants for riding. This is also I think part of why their heavy denims tend to wear soft rather than stiff.

Observe

One Too Many
IIRC the reason Iron Heart (before its British dealer seemed to take over design and operations) developed its original heavy denim was as an alternative to leather pants for riding. This is also I think part of why their heavy denims tend to wear soft rather than stiff.

Good point. My Sugar Cane 1947s, despite being only 14.25oz, have a rougher hand and wear stiffer than 21oz Iron Heart denim I've worn. The 21oz still gets rather sweltering in warm weather.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Yes thats what I heard as well.

jchance

One of the Regulars
I have owned a pair of 32oz denim for the past 10 years. I have worn it moderately and the crotch still wore out, albeit not as quickly as others have described here. I have patched it up and kept wearing it.

How quickly you wear out the crotch area depends on how tightly you wear your jeans. If it’s fairly loose (like Levi’s 501 and not skinny jeans), your crotch area is safe due to less to no friction in that area. In contrast, if it’s super tight, you’re going to wear out the pair in its entirety fairly quickly. The lesson is to wear jeans in your correct size, not 2 sizes too small.

breezer

Practically Family
best pair of denims I have ever owned are Levis Skateboarding 511 ( with stretch ) - worn continuously for years without the cuffs, kness, or crotch blowing out...........my more expensive selvedge jeans haven't lasted as long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth