Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have any of you ever trimmed the brim...

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
...of your Akubra Fed IV, to be even all around? It seems to me that it would be a classic 30's style in all respects, if the brim weren't longer in front and back. Am I right about that? If so, have any of you ever trimmed the brim to be even?

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
(Speaking as a non-Fed owner)

You may be right about trimming the brim to give it the more classic look, but I thought the primary aim of the Fed with it's dimensional brim was to evoke the look of the various Indiana Jones fedoras. Isn't that the case?

Seems to me that one could buy a hat without a dimensional brim in the first place.

Not meant as a judgement call, and certainly anyone can do what they like with their hat, it just seems odd to me to buy a hat with a dimensional brim only to trim it down.[huh] Did you find that the dimensional brim doesn't suit you?

Regards,
Tom

PS I like your sig!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
(Speaking as a non-Fed owner)

You may be right about trimming the brim to give it the more classic look, but I thought the primary aim of the Fed with it's dimensional brim was to evoke the look of the various Indiana Jones fedoras. Isn't that the case?
Partly, but not completely. I wanted a Bogart style fedora, first and foremost, but couldn't really find a factory hat that got that look right, in my eyes. And I did want a good outdoor hat for hiking that was a fedora style, so I got the Fed IV and I do like it. But then I got a second one, in a different color and heavier heritage grade felt. I like them both in their own way, but I still like the classic look of 1930's hats I see in the movies better, and to my eyes, the only real diff is the brim shape/size. So rather than buy an all new hat, I was wondering how much good it would do me to just trim the brim, or have it done, actually since I don't trust myself to do a good job.

Seems to me that one could buy a hat without a dimensional brim in the first place.
I've done that, but the crown is shorter on all the ones I've bought (Stetson Downs and Temple) and the hats I see in the movies are mostly taller. And since I already have one with a tall crown, only the brim is dimensional...

Not meant as a judgement call, and certainly anyone can do what they like with their hat, it just seems odd to me to buy a hat with a dimensional brim only to trim it down.[huh] Did you find that the dimensional brim doesn't suit you?
Hopefully I've made a little better sense of my thought process above. :)

Regards,
Tom

PS I like your sig!
Thank you, Tom!

carldelo

One Too Many
High Pockets said:
:D I'm getting ready to slice me off some Campdraft brim this week. :D

A little too wide and floppy for my taste.

I'm right with you - I could never sport a brim that wide. I guess it will be a shame to lose the edge binding, but better that than looking like you're wearing a lampshade. Please post the results if you're so inclined - I've been pining for a narrower brimmed OR style hat, but haven't really seen anything that looks right. Custom may be the way to go unless yours comes out nicely...

EDIT - I'm not saying everybody who wears a CD looks like they have a lampshade on their head - just me (med-short with a big head).

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Blackthorn said:
Hopefully I've made a little better sense of my thought process above. :)

Yup! It just struck me as a bit odd at first, but as I said--your hat, do what ya want! :D

One thing you might do is look for a western store that sells western hats in your area. (I suppose it depends upon what area of California you're in whether there is one. Growing up in a suburb of L.A. I don't think I ever saw a western store! :p ) But if you can find a good one that sells good western hats they'll probably be able to trim the brim down for you for relatively low cost. At least, that's the advice I've seen others post in regards to finding someone to trim a brim.

From what others have posted it sounds like it would work out well for you. Perhaps someone will post a photo of their results? (Hint, hint!) Or maybe there's already such photos in the Fed threads.

And now, I'm off to go buy gasoline for the tractor. (Certainly something I never dreamed I'd be doing when growing up in South Gate! lol )

Cheers,
Tom

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
Yup! It just struck me as a bit odd at first, but as I said--your hat, do what ya want! :D

One thing you might do is look for a western store that sells western hats in your area. (I suppose it depends upon what area of California you're in whether there is one. Growing up in a suburb of L.A. I don't think I ever saw a western store! :p ) But if you can find a good one that sells good western hats they'll probably be able to trim the brim down for you for relatively low cost. At least, that's the advice I've seen others post in regards to finding someone to trim a brim.
That's the advice I was looking for! Thanks, Tom, we do have a western store here in San Jose. I'll go talk to them when I get a chance.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
High Pockets said:
:D I'm getting ready to slice me off some Campdraft brim this week. :D

A little too wide and floppy for my taste.

Good idea! I'm going to trim my next Squatter! I recently made aquaintance with a very nice and very confident seamstress and she tells me that she can handle brim binding work - No problem :D. I have her card.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
I trimmed the brim of my black Fed IV down to a stingy brim but kept it dimensional (about 1 3/8 on the sides, 1 7/8 front and back) because I like dimensional hats.

Before anyone cries blasphemy hear me out...

I have 6 Fed IVs in every colour except Heritage Fawn. Of them all black was the one I wore the least and always seemed to look a little cowboy/Amish on me. I got a nice pea coat in the fall and wanted a hat to go with it. Stingies just seemed to work best and I decided that rather than have the black Fed languish I'd do a little "modification" and make it more wearable. What's the point in owning the hat if I don't like it enough to wear it?

Anyway the brim cutting was quite easy (although I did test my technique on an old had first). Basically take a white pencil in a compass and follow the edge of the brim to create my line to cut. A razor blade worked better for me than scissors then some sanding and voila - stingy brim. You'd never know it wasn't made that way now. Long smooth slow cuts is the secret.

I've got relatives visiting for a couple weeks, but I'll try to get a shot of it then if you're interested in the conversion.

Duper

Practically Family
FFF, I would like to see some photos of your FED IV conversion. Your pictures are usually a work of art, so that alone makes it worth it.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Blackthorn said:
...of your Akubra Fed IV, to be even all around? It seems to me that it would be a classic 30's style in all respects, if the brim weren't longer in front and back. Am I right about that? If so, have any of you ever trimmed the brim to be even?

Yes Mr Blackthorn, on two of my four Akubra Feds. Initially on a brown Fed III with C-crown, to 2.5" even all around. Then, pleased with the results, on the heritage fawn Fed IV that I'd been wearing most during the summer. All within the past month or thereabouts.

Yesterday I pulled out a box with the brown Fed IV and compared. I've halfway decided to do it to the other two Feds, that and the moonstone. I have to agree with Feraud on this...it looks better but I can't exactly say why. Something about the "break point" on the sides perhaps. So little material to matter.

Blackthorn's reasoning seems fine to me.

BTW, I'm now thinking of having the edge of the Fed III bound. That's how far I am from slavishly imitating Indiana Jones! ;)

The comment about taking your time and cutting slowly is good. I don't have a white pencil, but can recommend marking with something that will incise a line in the felt - especially if it's light colored - rather than a pen. The latter will work but you can't make a mistake anywhere. Make little marks at intervals rather than one continuous line - it's safer. After you've cut with really good, sharp scissors, plane or file off any irregularities. I also pass the entire edge briefly through a flame from a butane lighter to singe off any stray hairs and leave the edge firmer and harder. Not enough to discolor it! Just really a brief pass, like what would singe the hairs on your hand.

Honestly, unless they really know what they're about, I'd hesitate taking it to a hat place for this work. They aren't used to seeing dimensional brims and maybe are apt to remove a uniform amount all around. Correct me if I'm wrong!

- Bill

Tone

A-List Customer
It's a great gateway hat to appreciating the Campdraft's proportions. ;)

Neat ideas on how to make the FED IV look better! But I guess for something with that much crown I'd probably just start off with the regular Campdraft in the first place; remove the bound edge and replace the ribbon. At least for something with a brim that doesn't have to be narrowed to 2 1/2" all the way around in order to become non-dimensional.

CRH, I'm sure that Squatter with the edge removed is going to look just fine. :)

rrog

A-List Customer
I've done some mod work on my hats, but I'd have to say I'd be too afraid of ruining the felt and/or brim. I mean, once you cut it, you can't go back. At the very least, I'd get some old hat and give that a test run first.

rrog

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
In another thread I asked for suggestions for a black hat, something to wear on more formal occasions (i.e., suit and tie). As it happened, I won a nice black Christy's on eBay. That one may be lost (long story).

So now I'm re-thinking ordering a new Fed IV -- but trimming it back to, say, 2.5" in front and back, and less on the sides -- keeping the dimensional brim. I just think the smaller brim will be more dressy. I've searched and found the Craftool Strap Cutter from Tandy Leather that someone here posted about, and also about the grade of sandpaper to use. Plus I have an old beater hat to practice on. However . . .

In one post about trimming, someone mentioned the risk you run that you may lose whatever brim curl there was to the brim. Not that the Feds have much to start with. But is this a real worry? Will I need to steam and iron the rear brim into a curl after I do the trimming?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld