Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats From the Steamboat Arabia -- 1856

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Great bumps, Lefty then Buler.

I bet all of those lids are 6 3/4, 6 7/8, or 7. If I lived nearby, I'd attempt to bribe the curator for a closer look.

Top shelf far right. 'Zounds, what a hat!

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Is it possible the hats were in a "semi finished" condition and would have been shaped by the hatter to suit the customer's taste? Or did they wear them like that in 1856? I suppose contemporary pictures would tell the tale.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Hat pictures from the Steamship Arabia Museum's facebook page. If any lounger has gone to the museum and has more pictures, please post them. Would love to see more!

B

steamship_arabia_hat_1.jpg

steamship_arabia_hat_2.jpg

steamship_arabia_hat_3.jpg

Lotsahats

One Too Many
My kids have been to this museum, but I'm embarrassed to say I never have in the eight years I've lived here. I think I'll remedy that soon.

A

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It really is well worth the visit. They even recovered foodstuffs such as pickles that were still edible....

Hi

Well, I work in aerospace and you don't actually say anything, you just set them out in the break room, or the desk where we always put food, unopened...

Later

fedoracentric

Banned
Is it possible the hats were in a "semi finished" condition and would have been shaped by the hatter to suit the customer's taste? Or did they wear them like that in 1856? I suppose contemporary pictures would tell the tale.
When you look at photos of the 1850s, 60s, and 70s it is very, very common to see men with no creases at all in their hats. The cowboys used to call them a "sugar loaf" hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe