Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has cotton fabric changed over the years?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I recently purchased t-shirts (for sleeping in) from Kohl's (so yes, I know it's not top shelf quality). They are labeled 100% cotton. Yet, after one washing, they have pills and also came out of the dryer very static-y. I've never experienced this before with cotton that's not blended.

I don't know if these shirts are not labeled correctly, or if there is a new, cheaper way of manufacturing cotton that can change the way it wears? Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
New cotton

I was told it is the tightness or lack of tightness in the weave. My Levis are the same way, pure junk next to what I grew up with!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Interesting...

I was just googling this topic, and came across this interesting piece:

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/xw/t80402.htm

"China has claimed compensation of 14.37 million US dollars for substandard cotton imported from other countries last year, the State Administration of Quality Supervision and Quarantine said on March 23.

The administration noted that China's imported cotton in 2003 reported serious problems in quality, like damaged or substandard cotton and poor fiber strength.

Statistics show that China imported 905 million US dollars worth of cotton from other countries, including the United States,Uzbekistan, Australia, Benin and Mali.

Among those countries, the US was China's largest cotton exporter, which provided 61 percent of China's imported cotton. However, the US cotton was in poorest quality overall, the administration said.

In 2003, China made a claim of 10.45 million US dollars to the US for inferior cotton, accounting for about 72 percent of the total.

The administration said that it would step up inspection of imported cotton this year to reduce unnecessary trade disputes and economic losses."

With bed sheets manufacturers publish the thread count. It would be helpful, maybe, if the same was required on garments!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
PrettySquareGal said:
I recently purchased t-shirts (for sleeping in) from Kohl's (so yes, I know it's not top shelf quality). They are labeled 100% cotton. Yet, after one washing, they have pills and also came out of the dryer very static-y.

Definitely sounds like poly-cotton.

Cotton, as yarn and cloth has changed over the years.
It is processed differently, cheaply- the better grades and qualities have
now become luxury goods. What we see now in t-shirts and other low-end
cottons is pretty junky.

But pilling and static sounds like P/C.

B
T

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
Definitely sounds like poly-cotton.

Cotton, as yarn and cloth has changed over the years.
It is processed differently, cheaply- the better grades and qualities have
now become luxury goods. What we see now in t-shirts and other low-end
cottons is pretty junky.

But pilling and static sounds like P/C.

B
T

From what I've been reading even just the methods of growing it can have a huge impact.

Ya know, let's say it IS a blend and not 100% cotton. How could a consumer prove it? I don't think there is a way. I looked online and all I saw were burn tests. I wonder if there is a lab of sorts...

cptjeff

Practically Family
PrettySquareGal said:
From what I've been reading even just the methods of growing it can have a huge impact.

Ya know, let's say it IS a blend and not 100% cotton. How could a consumer prove it? I don't think there is a way. I looked online and all I saw were burn tests. I wonder if there is a lab of sorts...
You buy a cheap t-shirt and a zippo?

You could wet the shirts and compare to one that you know is all cotton and a similar weight. If the unknown tshirt dries significantly faster, it's probably got poly blended in. That wouldn't prove it conclusively, but it would give you an indication of if you were on to something or not.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
cptjeff said:
You buy a cheap t-shirt and a zippo?

You could wet the shirts and compare to one that you know is all cotton and a similar weight. If the unknown tshirt dries significantly faster, it's probably got poly blended in. That wouldn't prove it conclusively, but it would give you an indication of if you were on to something or not.

And if I ruined one of the shirts and was onto something, then what? I'm looking for something both conclusive and that would be presentable at the returns department. "You don't mind if I light this one shirt up, do you?" :rolleyes:

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
bruce wayne said:
If you are that concerned with needing to return it, just take it back & say that it didn't meet you expectations.

Yes, I can do that, however I am more interested in the broader context of truth in advertising. Just seems like it'd be really easy to slap on a 100% cotton label with the burden (burning) on the customer to prove it, ya know?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
PrettySquareGal said:
Ya know, let's say it IS a blend and not 100% cotton. How could a consumer prove it?.......I wonder if there is a lab of sorts...
There are several labs which test the fiber content of textiles. They are used by importers/exporters, retailers, manufactures,etc....to be assured that they're getting what they paid for. I'm not sure that the average consumer would be interested in ponying up the testing fee.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
There are several labs which test the fiber content of textiles. They are used by importers/exporters, retailers, manufactures,etc....to be assured that they're getting what they paid for. I'm not sure that the average consumer would be interested in ponying up the testing fee.

Thanks, it's good to know at least there is an option. I'm going to look into it further.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwrg