Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Happiness is...

... a good haircut,
... having your snug hats fit good again,
... playing dress-up with your 15 year old daughter!

1. Lee Trinity size 6 7/8 that I've had for ages and just learned how to stretch a bit:

lee_trinity.jpg

2. Stetson Tijuana - a small size 7:

stetson_tijuana.jpg

3. Borso Marque Grand Luxe 5x (adult rated beaver) size 7:

silver_borso5x.jpg

T Rick

Practically Family
Very nice! Any tips you'd care to share on that stretching technique? Just got in a really sweet Trimble that's a wee bit too small (marked a 7, I wear a 7 1/8, but I think it may be a tight 7).

BTW, the list is good, but I'll abstain from number one for now... (mine is a bit long, long enough that it's usually tied in a pony tail :D).

Very nice! Any tips you'd care to share on that stretching technique? Just got in a really sweet Trimble that's a wee bit too small (marked a 7, I wear a 7 1/8, but I think it may be a tight 7).

I have an old professional stretcher that my wife brought home from her costume shop (I think she got it from Gary White at the Custom Hatter.) Try to make sure that the sweatband is supple enough to take some force (condition it with Lexol first). Caution... if the hat is a lightweight with a taped seam at the back of the sweatband instead of a sewn seam, it is very likely that the seam will separate if stretched. Apply some steam around the perimeter and give a gentle stretch with the hat stretcher. Allow to dry slowly overnight.

Sometimes it works, sometimes the hat fights back. I tried the Stetson 3 times and it barely budged. The haircut helps a lot!

T Rick

Practically Family
Lol!

I have an old professional stretcher that my wife brought home from her costume shop (I think she got it from Gary White at the Custom Hatter.) Try to make sure that the sweatband is supple enough to take some force (condition it with Lexol first). Caution... if the hat is a lightweight with a taped seam at the back of the sweatband instead of a sewn seam, it is very likely that the seam will separate if stretched. Apply some steam around the perimeter and give a gentle stretch with the hat stretcher. Allow to dry slowly overnight.

Sometimes it works, sometimes the hat fights back. I tried the Stetson 3 times and it barely budged. The haircut helps a lot!

Thanks, I am planning to pick up one of these tomorrow from Henry The Hatter. Similar to what you've got?
89820aedae12bc12e716c0c08ba6ec24.jpg

I actually got a plastic version yesterday at a Western shop, but plan to return it, as I just don't think it will do the job as well (if at all- it is more for shape retaining, not stretching a hat).

The band of the hat in questions is already quite supple, and a bit "loose" as if the felt shrunk and it did not. And the seam is sewn. I'll give it a go and post some pics when I find my camera (missing since yesterday, I must be getting forgetful in my "old age" :D).

Now, about that haircut... well, it's been 20 years or more since a Professional has worked on me. I'm sure I'll get another. Sooner or later. ;)

fmw

One Too Many
The hat jack will work fine. I have something similar. I just wet down the hat with the spray head on the kitchen sink and then install the stretcher and tighten it up a bit. I leave the hat to dry overnight. In the morning, if the size is right, I give it a little steam to adjust the shape. Going up one size is easy for a stretcher of this sort.

T Rick

Practically Family
The hat jack will work fine. I have something similar. I just wet down the hat with the spray head on the kitchen sink and then install the stretcher and tighten it up a bit. I leave the hat to dry overnight. In the morning, if the size is right, I give it a little steam to adjust the shape. Going up one size is easy for a stretcher of this sort.
Thanks for that. But I really didn't mean to highjack Alan's thread!

Let's get back to the pics of those amazing hats, and his list of "Hapiness Is". Great stuff!

... a good haircut,
... having your snug hats fit good again,
... playing dress-up with your 15 year old daughter!

1. Lee Trinity size 6 7/8 that I've had for ages and just learned how to stretch a bit:

lee_trinity.jpg

2. Stetson Tijuana - a small size 7:

stetson_tijuana.jpg

3. Borso Marque Grand Luxe 5x (adult rated beaver) size 7:

silver_borso5x.jpg

All have good reason to make you happy!

Thanks for the comments and no worries, the stretch is part of the happiness. Here are a couple of pictures of the vintage hat stretcher I use, courtesy of Gary White (The Custom Hatter) who contributed this to the University of Buffalo Dept. of Theatre costume shop. (sorry for the grainy cellphone photos.)

stretcher1.jpg

stretcher2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael