Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hacking Jackets

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Who has hacking jackets or even hacking suits? Plain or tweed lets see em.

JV2NK2YD26VF.JPG

JVA6RYEUDW4T.JPG

Mine finally. Real English Hacking Jacket

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Traditional definition

The term hacking can be traced back to the hackney, a saddle horse used for everyday riding, and a more casual riding jacket was used. The jacket typically has 3-4 buttons, often leather, a throat tab on the collar, long skirt with center vent for riding and two side pockets and a ticket pocket cut on the slant. Other variations are possible, mostly tweeds because they are for country wear.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Is this different from a Shooting Jacket? or a Norfolk? I see a jumble of names that all point to a similar style, which makes me think there are subtle differences which a smart guy oughtta know. ;)

Barry

Practically Family
I have a three button Keepers Tweed jacket that I believe would be considered a hacking jacket. I love it!

I bought mine at Brocklehursts. It looks like this but I'll get a personal photo up eventually.

kT-Jacket.jpg

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Scot, it is different from shooting and Norfolk, It is for riding technically. no belt and the pocket slant to so they are accessible while mounted.

Barry, thats great I love Keeper Tweed. can't wait

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Scott

A hacking jacket is a kind of riding jacket but a Norfolk is a shooting jacket- not designed for horsing around. A Norfolk would be in a heavy tweed with big, bellows skirt pockets, a full, loose or back-sewn belt (sewn half belt with fastening front belt portion), the vertical, sewn in straps (look like pleats to some people)which hold the belt and help support the weight of the bulging pockets and perhaps the game pocket on the rear. A 'Summer' (e.g. linen)Norfolk captures the look but doesn't do the function.

I'm building a 'Summer Norfolk'.

B
T

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
The ebay store, Bookster, is an excellent source of hacking jackets.

Lambourne also offers hacking jackets. While Sierra Trading Post frequently offers these, currently they are not available.

Peacoat

Bartender
The tweeds are the hacking jackets for informal foxhunts, and the same style is used in the black and red coats for the formal hunts. The small upper pocket on the right is designed train tickets, as Hemingway Jones pointed out. This allows the ladies and gentlemen leaving London for the country to have easy access to their tickets while gloved.

In this country the pockets aren't used for much of anything as they are so small. When I first started foxhunting many years ago, I put a whistle in that pocket in case I was separated from the field (other riders) and became lost. I now carry a small corkscrew in the pocket. I have used the corkscrew far more than I ever used the whistle.

Fortunately there is a large inside breast pocket that will easily accomodate a flask for the brandy and port, which is a staple of foxhunters in the colder regions of the US.

I seldom see the hacking jacket worn in this country unless it is for foxhunting during the cubbing season or for the party after a formal hunt when everyone wants to take off the heavy red or black coats for something more comfortable. Tally Ho.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
I am very impressed you hunt. Could you clear up the term "ratcatcher" for me?

I know in Corinthian classes, you must carry a flask and sandwich case. Do you ever use a flask that attaches to your saddle?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Peacoat said:
The small upper pocket on the right is designed train tickets. This allows the ladies and gentlemen leaving London for the country to have easy access to their tickets while gloved.

The ticket pocket actually began as a coin pocket, to pay tolls while traveling on horseback. Jacket vents are also equestrian related, center for civilians and double (to accommodate a sword) for military. Or, so the lore goes.

Peacoat

Bartender
A lot of knowledge displayed on this board on an arcane subject such as hacking jackets. Tomasso is exactly right about the "ticket" pocket starting out as a "coin" pocket--there were no tickets back when these jackets first became popular. My wife and I both hunt, and I was thinking that some of our hunt coats were double vented. I just checked them; all are center vents. I believe I have seen a few double vented coats in the hunt field, but now I'm not sure. I have a Savile Row (London, 1952) hunt coat that is as proper as they come, and it is a center vent. A friend of mine gave it to me when he retired as Master of our hunt. It had not fit him for years, but it is a perfect fit for me. Each time the coat gets a tear, I get it stitched up again. It has more character than any other coat in the hunt field. Of course at 54 years of age, it ought to have character!

The term "ratcatcher" simply means informal attire. Ratcatcher is proper for the informal hunting season--also called cubbing--starting in September and finishing when the formal season starts around the first of November (the seasons may vary depending on the region). A ratcatcher jacket is a tweed hacking jacket or something similar. On the early morning hunts during September and October, a hacking jacket is usually sufficient for warmth here in Tennessee. Of course we may wear polypropylene underwear and a vest on brisk days, but generally the jacket alone is sufficient. Finishing out the "kit" would be riding breeches, tall riding boots, gloves and a black helmt. During the formal season, black and red coats are substituted for the tweeds. These coats are cut identically to the tweeds, but they are of a melton wool and much heavier for winter wear.

Some carry a flask on the right side of the saddle, and some carry a sandwich/flask case attached to the "D" rings. I have found both, while proper, to be of limited utility. I have a small leather "saddlebag" that I attach on the right side of the saddle. It is about three times the size of a sandwich case. In the bag I carry a long Gortex riding raincoat (don't like to get wet) and reflective arm bands in the event we are out after dark and ride home on those dark country roads. On very cold days I will carry my flask in an inside pocket in my hunt coat. None of us drink much on the hunts as we don't want to be on a galloping Thoroubred going cross country under the influence!

Another alternative that I like better is to tie the raincoat, or Barbour jacket, behind the saddle. Then I only carry the rain gear if rain is threatening, and I can leave the saddlebag off of the saddle. This requires "D" rings on both sides of the saddle. As I have my saddles custom made (long legs), this isn't a problem for me. It may be a problem for my bank account, but my legs like it just fine!

Miss Crisplock, I have probably told you more than you ever wanted to know about flasks, sandwich bags and foxhunting accoutrement, but if you have any more questions, let me know.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Peacoat said:
reflective arm bands in the event we are out after dark and ride home on those dark country roads.

I can understand since I've witnessed the way some of my Tennessee friends drive on those country roads.:eek:

Peacoat said:
I have my saddles custom made

Who is your saddle maker?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The Hacking Jacket

This has come my way via the treasured friendship of Baron Kurtz. A Harris Tweed hacking jacket. It fits like made for me, with wonderfully set sleeves. As comfortable (even though quite heavy) as any jacket could be. (yes, my pants were sliding...)

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

The label is dated 1952.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley