Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ground crew safety / genl info handout

cco23i

A-List Customer
The other funny thing I was told was when the Germans invaded Poland Coke stopped the export to Germany of the "secret Coke formula" and the Germans ended uf inventing Fanta, so a U boat crew was brought in to the Brookland Navy yard (I think) and as the prisoners were being off loaded they saw a Coke advertisement and all were excited about hopefully getting Cokes.

Scott

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Beer Special Delivery

The ultimate beer delivery machine was the Spitfire Modification XXX!
Modification20XXX20-20Spitfire20with20beer20kegs.jpg

Sgt Brown

One of the Regulars
The ultimate beer delivery machine was the Spitfire Modification XXX!

As they look like napalm canisters, I must (miss)quote, "Ah, I love the smell of pilsner in the morning!"

Tom

P.S. BOY has this thread gone to Hell in a handbasket!

In one of the chat rooms I used to frequent I got to know a guy in France who flew Skyraiders (and later F-84s) with the French air force back in the '50s and '60s. He said that when flying missions from their North African base they would often make "emergency landings" at Gibraltar to stock up on Scotch.

cco23i

A-List Customer
Heck yes! We had one of our F-111's coming back from England and as I marshalled it in I noticed the one travel pod (looks like a drop tank on the wing) had ice on the bottom, well this happens at high alltitude in some conditions. Well after they shut down they started unloading their bags from the travel pod, and the 6 cases of lobsters! Well the pilot asked if I liked lobsters (duh) and of course I said yes and walked in that night with a case of Maine lobsters!

Scott

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Monkey Pods

Heck yes! We had one of our F-111's coming back from England and as I marshalled it in I noticed the one travel pod (looks like a drop tank on the wing) had ice on the bottom, well this happens at high alltitude in some conditions. Well after they shut down they started unloading their bags from the travel pod, and the 6 cases of lobsters! Well the pilot asked if I liked lobsters (duh) and of course I said yes and walked in that night with a case of Maine lobsters!
Scott
Over Thailand, the Australians in their Hotrod F-86s loved to bounce the Americans in their F-4s. They new the Yanks would push it to win, so after going supersonic, bye bye Monkey Pods! There was more then one farmer who wore hand made silk shirts and Rolex watches.

cco23i

A-List Customer
OOOPS! I always loved when we would get new "solo" pilots on nights they would go out in the T-38 and when they came back they would be all happy and such and we new they had buzzed the indian reservation in A.B, one morning at 0630 (we worked 1500 to midnight) we got called into the base commanders office to "testify" we had heard then talking about buzzing the indians in A.B, well the 6 members of the tribal council were there and they looked a little PISSED!

Scott

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Scott,
While just a lad in Germany, I vented LOX on a case of good german beer, just vented mind you. Shoulda used cans instead of bottles. : ( I did manage to save a few from the case : ) That was a time when we were allowed beer on the flightline in uniform, and throwing horseshoes with the CC. Those days are gone...

cco23i

A-List Customer
Yup, I found out the hard way with LOX and bottles too! Yes I remember those days, that and having a bonfire behind the flightline shacks.

Scott

cco23i

A-List Customer
EXACTLY! I remember having beer call very thursday night as fridays ALWAYS went south (hence called "freakie Fridays") And stumbling out to an aircraft, with the fuel samply mason jar, filling said jar with JP-4 and then throwing said liquid onto an existing fire. Well the fireball was a good one and ALWAYS brought an SP or two. BUT in good crew chief fashion we always got out of any trouble,... with BEER!

Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld